Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Become a GS Supporter!

GS Supporter

0 Not allowed!

News Become a GS Supporter!

Hello members!

As we move into the 2017-18 season, you will note that there are ads in the threads. While they help some, they do not begin to cover the entire cost of running the forum.

The Golden Skate Forums have been free since the beginning nearly 20 years ago! Our community has continued to grow over the years and we have changed servers more times than we can count 😊. The forum will ALWAYS remain free, however, instead of asking for donations, we are now offering the members the opportunity to become “GS Supporters” which comes with the below benefits:

You can choose from either the Annual Fee is ($40 US Dollars) or Quarterly Fee ($15)

- No ads
    - 2500 PM storage
    - Can Use PM Message Tracking
    - Can Deny Private Message Read Receipt Request
    - Maximum Recipients to Send PMs at a time: 10
    - Can Set Self to Invisible Mode
    - Can access the Archives
    - Custom Avatar (100x100) If you have a special image you'd like to use and need assistance, we can help!
    - Custom Title

Some of you may already have the last two perks due to your lengthy membership and postings – this will not change!

Feel free to sign up now at the link below. Make sure you login to the forum first. It does not matter which paypal account you use, the subscription will go to your username.
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/payments.php

Note: If you sign up, your Custom Title will be set to "GS Supporter". You can go into your settings to change/delete this if you wish to do so. (Go to Settings > Edit Profile > Custom User Title)

The term "paid subscription" is what the software uses to identify paid services at the link above. It does not imply or mean that you are paying for a subscription, per se. This is the default term used.

By default, we have set this up so that there is no "recurring fee" which is mentioned at the payment site. This gives you control in case you want to let your support status expire and/or manually renew. A reminder will be sent out to you as your expiration date nears.

Thank you once again to everyone for your support and participation! We are looking forward to sharing this HUGE season with you!

Sincerely,
    GS Forum Staff
    Last edited by GS Forum Staff; 06-02-2017 at 01:04 AM.

2 Not allowed!
    I'm pretty sure at some point I'll find an extra $40 laying around and become a supporter even though most ads don't really bother me much. The thing is...a couple of the new ads that appear inside the first and last posts on pages seem to have a video player which plays a movie. The issue I am experiencing with those ads is that they have started to make everything slow way down and while typing my replies it is causing a glitch to occur where the text I'm typing freezes. It can make it take a very long time to write out a really simple and short responses when those ads appear. I never noticed this until yesterday.

Anyway.....just wanted to make a note of it.

Thanks for all you do GS

0 Not allowed!
    Input noted! While the ads don't come close to covering the expenses of running the site, they do help. I know they are a an annoyance, hence the option to donate to go add-free However, instead of just accepting "donations," we are trying to give members extra benefits.

0 Not allowed!
    We just added a second paying option (edited above)

You can choose from either the Annual Fee is ($40 US Dollars) or Quarterly Fee ($15)

0 Not allowed!
    i have a couple questions from things I noticed and I wonder if they are related to the new support GS

I just posted in a thread... and then went to reply to a message in my inbox... it told me i had to wait some more seconds....

I mean, before, we could post in a thread and write messages pretty much back to back. Is that part of the new changes where we will have to wait in between posts, no matter where we post (threads vs private)....

also, avatars all disappeared in the inbox but now they are back.... was that just a glitch? I know you are testing several features. i hope they stay because it was quite tough to go through the inbox without the avatars

I thank you for your time and dedication in making this site better and better each time. Is it possible to become a GS supporter and remain blue... i mean.. i don't like purple hehe

0 Not allowed!
    I just posted in a thread... and then went to reply to a message in my inbox... it told me i had to wait some more seconds....
    Let us know if this continues and we will look into it.

also, avatars all disappeared in the inbox but now they are back.... was that just a glitch?
    I changed the settings today to allow for larger files - so probably just a glitch at the time. Note how yours is larger than mine as I haven't changed it out yet

i don't like purple
    We haven't decided yet if this will stay in place.

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gsk8 View Post
    Input noted! While the ads don't come close to covering the expenses of running the site, they do help. I know they are a an annoyance, hence the option to donate to go add-free However, instead of just accepting "donations," we are trying to give members extra benefits.
    I can live with having extra adverts on the page if it means that the site continues to go from strength to strength. But the thing that gets me is that the extra adverts are within the posts. Because, it kinda implies that the poster is endorsing whatever is being advertised.

For example, for one of my posts, I had an advert for Goa. And I have never been to Goa. In fact, apart from it being a former Portuguese colony that is now in India, I don't know anything about the place.

The other problem with having the adverts within the post is that it makes the message very narrow if the browser's Sidebar is open. Particularly if there is a quote in the post - each line only has one or, at most, two letters on it.

Perhaps placing one new advert between the first and second post, and the other new advert between the penultimate and final posts for would be better.

I should add that I am not experiencing the slowing down like Sam is. Perhaps the reloading problem I was talking about last week (and am still experiencing) is cancelling out any slowness

CaroLiza_fan

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
    CaroLiza_fan, if you pay $15, you can see whether having no ads will speed up the time the site takes to load for you. It has made a lot of difference for me, especially on my phone.

In this Olympic season, it is sure that there will be heavy demands on the site, and it will be necessary to add bandwidth, which will be expensive.

The site has been a labor of love for gsk8 for nearly 20 years, and it does not make a profit. Google ads help cover some of the costs, but not all.

If you think about it, gsk8 gives us free competition coverage and threads, a space for free fan groups in the fan fests, and some awesome articles, all for free. This all costs money, not to mention the time it takes for one person to do this "out of their own pocket" for many years.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 06-04-2017 at 04:16 AM.

1 Not allowed!
    I just became aware of the changes to GS. Has the Archives section been made invisible to people who have not paid? I can no longer even see that it exists.

ETA: just paid and I can now see Archives.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tavi... View Post
    I just became aware of the changes to GS. Has the Archives section been made invisible to people who have not paid? I can no longer even see that it exists.
    It definitely has. I can't see it anymore.

3 Not allowed!
    The archives are HUGE and puts a great strain on the server. This is the only item that was changed that affects all users. BTW, one thing that was upgraded is that your avatar can be larger (100x100) for all members. Most forums are 60x60. So you can have a larger image of your dog

1 Not allowed!
    Thank you Tavi!

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gsk8 View Post
    The archives are HUGE and puts a great strain on the server. This is the only item that was changed that affects all users. BTW, one thing that was upgraded is that your avatar can be larger (100x100) for all members. Most forums are 60x60. So you can have a larger image of your dog
    I totally get it that they're a strain, but right now I'm in the process of job hunting and moving so I can't pay at this time.

(Also, not my dog. Just a random picture I used because it's cute.)

8 Not allowed!
    A suggestion: since Archives are now not seen by everyone, can threads in The Edge remain there a little longer than just a month? I was looking for thread and I see that all threads that were not updated after 26th April are moved to Archives. And I'd rather update already exsisting thread than repeat already existing, but prematurely moved to Archives.

GS Supporter

1 Not allowed!
    I agree with what cathlen said above, I'm a little annoyed I can't go back to threads that are over a month old.

Also if we do become a GS supporter, will there be an option to hide the medal? I find it a little awkward, maybe doing something lengthwise might look better, like a skating blade or something.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast