Fur Coats for the Skating Moms | Golden Skate

Fur Coats for the Skating Moms

S

SkateFan4Life

I remember a time when skating moms were expected to show up for their children's competitive programs dressed to the hilt - fur coats, jewelry, the whole nine yards. I guess it was part of the country club "look" that was espoused in some skating circles.

Thankfully, that kind of snobbery doesn't seem to be the norm any longer. Most of the skating moms I see at competitions are dressed nicely, but conservatively. Nothing that screams, "Look at me!"

rachelstarlet

Rinkside
Your post reminded me of Tatiana Tarasova. I love seeing her in her signature fur coat. I remember at some competition this year the ABC announcers were kind of making fun of her, and Terry Gannon (I think) was like, "It's not even that cold in here!" But I still smile whenever I see her & the coat :)

Glacierskater

On the Ice
I remember that comment about it not being cold in the rink, but there was the fur coat...I think that I will put that on my wish list...I would not mind if I have a fur coat to snuggle up in...

S

SkateFan4Life

Tatiana's fur coat looked beautiful, I think. I cannot think of any other coach who wears a fur coat to the rink during competitions.

Maybe the coaches think it's not environmentally correct to wear a fur coat -- after all, some innocent critters had to lose their lives in order to produce the fur coats.

:(

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
We had that mostly at the North Shore winter club - where Karen Magnussen trained. Our local rinks in Surrey and out lying areas were not as classy. It depended on where one skated and if one was in competition or not.

NanSinger2

On the Ice
I always look at Tatiana's coat as her "signature style". It would be strange to see her without it. I don't know that I'd recognize her! LOL

windspirit

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
No one seems to mind the animal slaughter to make fur coats.
Well, not necessarily. One can mention someone wearing a fur coar without going into the whole discussion about killing animals, no?

Windspirit (a vegetarian)

valuvsmk

Rinkside
Joesitz said:
No one seems to mind the animal slaughter to make fur coats.

Joe

And, from the looks of it, a herd certainly had to be killed.

I personally thinks she looks ridiculous in it, but it's her body.

skatepixie

On the Ice
I like fur coats. I even own one. I really dont have a problem with it. Honestly. Whats the difrence between this and meat or leather or..... I understand it isnt NEEDED, but that doesnt mean it cant be done.

Rosie-a proud meat eater

kemy

Rinkside
I think the point is that animals used for leather are also used to feed people. People would need to eat...and using the skin to make leather also makes less waste.

People in colder climates sometimes do need fur coats...I'm sure that Tatiana does need her coat when going back for a Russian winter. Brrrrrrrr

But I've seen people in HOUSTON who have fur coats...have you seen the size of a chinchilla? Hundreds of those little "cuddly fat squirrels" are killed to make one of those.

1 cow = 1 leather jacket and/or several pairs of boots
100 chinchillas = 1 fur coat

Enough already though...It's really an individual's right to choose to wear dead things...

http://www.chinchilla.com/images/grey.jpg
http://www.chinchilla.com/images/style_zuki2.jpg

S

SkateFan4Life

Guys, I really was not attempting to start a dialogue on the merits
of killing or not killing live animals to creat fur coats.

My point is -- figure skating still has a bit of a country club snobby attitude -- at least at some rinks -- and mothers of competitive skaters are more or less expected to show up for their children's competitions "dressed for the part". Thankfully, my local rink does
not adhere to those unwritten rules. Parents show up for local competitions in whatever they happen to like to wear - jeans, casual clothes, etc. Of course, the skaters are dressed to the hilt!

berthes ghost

Final Flight
The only snobby attitude I've ever noticed was from the skaters, who have a tendency to turn thier noses up at anyone who wasn't from-the-rink-born so to speak. How many Oly gold winning plumber's daughters do we have to produce before that old cc sterotype dies out for good?

S

SkateFan4Life

Had Tonya Harding kept her nose clean, stayed in shape, and won the Olympic gold medal, she would have been a shining example of a dramatic "rags to riches" story - the girl from the wrong side of the tracks wins the gold medal. Sometimes I wish that things were radically different and that Tonya could have stayed in the game and won, fairly and squarely.

Had Elaine Zayak won an Olympic gold medal, she would have been a shining example of a young woman from a working-class family - her father owned and operated a bar in Paramus, NJ - skating to the top of the figure skating world.

skatepixie

On the Ice
the best example is Peggy Flemming, who was the first working class skater to win.

As far as clothes for the skate moms go, the trend now seems to be more like designer jeans, but thats more af a trend everywhere.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
"the best example is Peggy Flemming, who was the first working class skater to win. "

Not so.

One of the reasons that the press hyped up the Tenley vs. Carol rivalry is because Tenley was old Boston money (her father was a sergion) and Carol was NYC bluecolar immegrant's daughter (her father was a baker). Carol said that her Mother often felt dissed by the other skating Moms, mainly because of her German accent. Carol also said that she and her sister had to give free exhibitions to barter for ice time.

Anyway, that's just one example.