icenetwork... | Golden Skate

icenetwork...

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Just a heads up, if you don't live in the states, don't get it. They block you out on everything worth watching.

Dennis

Rinkside
Icenetwork is a joke :laugh: They can't even get live scores up in a timely manner! USFSA should be ashamed of the way everything has been handled so far :banging:

flyingnun

On the Ice
I was going to try and buy a membership but every time I try to purchase it the link times out and nothing happens. I am in the states so I don't think that is the reason. Anyway I just looked at the schedule and it doesn't even look like they are covering junior pairs, which is why I wanted the membership to begin with.

childfreegirl

Final Flight
You're not the only one with frustrations. I'm getting the feed but with constant interruptions and freezes. Yesterday I was lucky if it went 10 minutes constantly, except of course during the ice makes. I'm on a DSL connection too. Last night I know I wasn't the only one having problems but I'm calling the phone company tomorrow.

waxel

Final Flight
Anyway I just looked at the schedule and it doesn't even look like they are covering junior pairs, which is why I wanted the membership to begin with.

They are covering Jr. pairs on Thurs. and Fri.

I haven't had any trouble with the feed. But I thought the ladies and mens SPs would be included- so that's a let down. But without icenetwork, we'd have no coverage at all (except for a select few skaters on NBC)- so I'm giving them a break while they suffer growing pains. Seriously, it worth $30. just for the Jr. competitions.

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
I don't know what everyone is complaining about but I think that Icenetwork has done a great job with their coverage of the 2008 U.S. Nationals. At least we get to see the Novice and Junior Competitions for the 1st time. As far as the Senior competitions go it nice that we get to see the CD, OD and the Pairs SP. The Men's and Ladies Short Programs most likely are going to be aired on NBC, which is why that on-demand coverage isn't until Sunday. Well worth the $30 :)

merrybari

Final Flight
I agree, and I'm also looking forward to more BTS features as well, which we surely wouldn't be getting without them/it! Well worth my $$.

eliza88

On the Ice
Icenetwork is far from perfect but I too am willing to accept the growing pains. Besides if it only costs me $30/year to show my support then it's well worth it! I enjoyed watching the novice ladies and men's yesterday...it is so much fun to see the up and comers!

eliza88

mskater93

Record Breaker
The moderator at icenetwork had discussed that the scores would not be live due to a lack of contract with the same company that isu has a contract with. I think they are doing a decent job with coverage so far.

Dennis

Rinkside
The moderator at icenetwork had discussed that the scores would not be live due to a lack of contract with the same company that isu has a contract with. I think they are doing a decent job with coverage so far.

Thanks for the info ;)

mskater93

Record Breaker
Notice, I didn't say good or great job with coverage! LOL! With the right settings, I've had no issues with interruptions on live or on demand coverage. If you are having issues with interruptions, try to change your buffering options.

waxel

Final Flight
I have gone on record as being in support of icenetwork... but would like to give Nancy's co-hort a tutorial in composer pronunciation. He has mangled many--- saying Saint See-Anz for Saint-Saëns. And DeBUSsy (as in Greyhound) and RicHard Straus. But whatever, I'm glad to see all the Jr. ladies.

I've never been a big Nancy fan- but she has done a pretty good job of covering MANY events- and has even displayed a self-deprecating sense of humor. Such as when talking about laybacks she said they are difficult and that she "even has a few broken bones from doing laybacks- and they weren't even good."

nubka

Final Flight
I'm definately getting my $30.00's worth! It's been great watching the Novice & Junior competitions (I'd never been able to see any of these up-and-coming skaters before.)

Yes, the "de-BUS-eeeee" blooper was a riot!

mskater93

Record Breaker
I would also recommend that he get the pronunciations of skaters names correct. He called Alexa Scimeca Alxea ZimEEka. If they aren't sure, get the pronunciation sheet from the US Figure Skating announcer! Sheesh!

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Icenetwork is a joke :laugh: They can't even get live scores up in a timely manner! USFSA should be ashamed of the way everything has been handled so far :banging:

I can't believe the only site we can go to for starting orders and results is their gobbledegook horror. That is the only option, right? I've gone to the USFS site, and the Nationals site, and all direct me to the nonsensical icenetwork site.

Why not a simple table, like all the GP events, Canadians, etc. had? (I know, I know, no/different contract with IFS). But really, that list of events on icenetwork is difficult to scroll through, and I have yet to find a simple timetable of events -- as in, all in one simple table. And I can't seem to find all the starting orders. But I could easily be scrolling right past something in that ridiculous long list. They obviously haven't heard of at least grouping things, if you are unable to produce a table! Like, put all the novice together, give us a couple of spaces, then juniors, etc.

Sheesh, I've never been able to watch live, since I only have dialup, but I've always followed event results skater by skater, with GS's own pbp posters and with the official results websites.

This is ridiculous. Yes, they may be offering coverage, but it is poorly organized and doesn't even give the basics EVERY OTHER EVENT THIS SEASON have given (namely, a simple table of the schedule of events; a simple, easy to find list of entrants and starting order; and LIVE RESULTS.)

Get the basics, folks, then worry about offering the frills and charging for it!

waxel

Final Flight
Yes, they may be offering coverage, but it is poorly organized and doesn't even give the basics EVERY OTHER EVENT THIS SEASON have given

They "may be offering coverage." Really? I guess other events have shown coverage of every competition of every discipline in every skill level? Must've missed it. Okay, sure they still have a lot of room to improve, but I don't understand the viciousness of so many of these attacks. Think any major TV network got everything right the first year? Think a novice skater can land a triple axel in their first year at Nats? Come on- give them a break.

And please- all the bellyaching about the subscription price? Sorry, but thirty bucks is one meal at a low level restaurant- isn't it worth that to support what might the future of the only skating coverage we may have??? Icenetwork is a good thing- not the enemy.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
QUOTE: Okay, sure they still have a lot of room to improve, but I don't understand the viciousness of so many of these attacks. ENDQUOTE

I don't think anyone's being vicious, but we are noting that we can't get the simple things we've been able to get for all the other major events this season. As I specifically listed, there's no obvious place to get the very, very basic information of a timetable of the event schedule, skate order, etc. AND NO LIVE RESULTS.

QUOTE: Think any major TV network got everything right the first year? Think a novice skater can land a triple axel in their first year at Nats? Come on- give them a break. ENDQUOTE

But they don't HAVE to re-invent the wheel. They could just follow the format the other major events have used. Why don't we have icecalc results or an isu site? TPTB in US Figure Skating CHOSE to go with this idiosyncratic format, which, again, fails to provide the basics.

An Icenetwork subscription would be a waste for me with dialup, as far as trying to watch any livefeeds or downloadable streams after the fact. I need simple, basic information about the event schedule, and live results. Icenetwork is not providing this, and we seem to have no other source available to us for this information. I can't believe it, but it appears US Nats, my own country's biggest event, is the only major event this year I won't be following "live" via internet posting of results. (Except whatever the nice, dedicated, self-sacrificing GS posters are able to give us by way of pbp.)

Oh, and I don't know about "every skill level" since the US has kind of a unique format for Nationals (incl Jr and Novice at "Big Nats"), but, sure, with the Russian, Chinese, Korean, etc. sites offering live feeds -- absolutely, folks here at GS have had access to viewing pretty complete coverage of all skaters in the big events this season -- all the GP events, the GP final, and even other countries' nationals. No question there's been coverage available. And all the GP Events and Canadians used a standard format for reporting the event schedule, skate order, and results. I'd guess other national events did, too --

oh yeah, except, of course, US Nationals.

That's the frustration.

Last edited: