Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Some should definitely retire - others not

Votes: 16 76.2%
  • Limit the top age of eligibility officially

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Another reason?

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
Some skaters such as Kwan, Liashenko, Slutskaya, Nikidinov, Stoyko, Weiss (and others you can name) are hanging around in the Amateur Eligble Field. My take is that they are here because they like the competitive life and it doesn't exist in the Pro skate world. However, I also believe, there is more money in Amateur Competitive skating than there is in Pro skating nowadays. Whatever the reason, what do you think? and give some reasons

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
As long as they can do it, go for it. I see no reason to put an age restriction on them. If they have trouble because of their age they will probably quit.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
The Old Ones

I believe the argument that most people have about the older skaters staying is that it doesn't allow for the up and comers to have their chance. I don't see the validity in this much at all. Tara Lipinski and Sarah Hughes have shown that the established veteran isn't always a lock. If biased judging were an issue and the veterans were always being held up I might have a different opinion. But, as it is, as long as the old guard can hold their own and continue to improve, I can only believe that it pushes the younger generation to be that much better. When I see Michelle and Irina consistantly skating sub-par, four triple programs and being rewarded gold over more deserving, younger skaters I'll change my mind. If the younger skaters want to be on the top of the podium they'll have to challenge themselves and realize all of their potential. That is what I love to see! A whole mess of incredibly talented athletes pushing each other ever higher!

aly cutie - "Maybe a couple should go pro". I was wondering if you could explain what they may do. Your answer is fine but you seem to be putting them into tough jobs associated with figure skating.

Where are the Pro Competitions? Is SOI and COI anxious to hire them? Maybe in the chorus of a Disney show? How many rinks are looking for coaches? Do they have talent for choreographing and how long would it take to prove that? What about costume design - how many are talented enough and who would know?

This was the point of my topic. These skaters now over 25 having spent most of their lives in cold ice rinks usually at morning before the sun rises. And now, what does going pro actually mean? There is no pension plan for them.

Joe

aly*cutie

On the Ice
I just mean like they should turn pro and tour with SOI and stuff like that. I dunno. hehe!

I believe you are saying that you want them out of amateur competition and you don't care what happens to them. Is SOI desperate to hire any amateur? If not, do you care?

Joe

aly*cutie

On the Ice
yes i do care! I don't mind if they stay in amateur competition or not. I just mean like Sarah, she won olympics and stuff like that.
please don't get mad at me :( sometimes I don't know how to say things right, like how I mean.

Hey Aly, don't let mean old Joe scare you just because he has a picture of Dick Button up there beside his name, LOL. I know exactly what you mean. I think that skaters such as Elvis Stojko, who have been great world champions in the past but who are now 30 years old, would be welcome to tour with Stars on Ice.

But some others, like Michelle Kwan, are still at their peak and can continue to compete, hopefully for years to come.

Congratulations on getting 50 posts so you can have your Michelle avatar!

Mathman

Aly - I'm sorry. I wasn't angry with you. I am angry at the phrase: "He/she should turn pro". So many posters use that phrase and I don't really know what they mean. To me it sounds like, 'you are through. we've had enough of you.'

If you notice in the poll, I did not mention going pro. I used the word, retire. Retire means they can do what they want, if they've made the proper plans.

Again, Aly - I appologize.

Joe

aly*cutie

On the Ice
Thanks Mathman!! hehe! :)

It's ok Joe. I'm sorry, I should have like read it enough to see that it was retire not turn pro. I don't always read all the posts. hehe! usually its the last couple. I'm sorry too.

Pookie

Final Flight
I think if they are able to compete with the field, why retire? I think in some cases it pushes the younger ones to train harder to win.

Joe, your main point in this poll is very well taken. In reality, there is no such thing as "going pro" any more, because there are no meaningful professional competitions. So in terms of one's career as a competitive skater, "going pro" is the same as retiring from competition.

A very few skaters, such as Michelle Kwan or Elvis Stojko, are so successful and so popular with the audience that they can set their own agendas and write their own ticket, as far as participation in shows and exhibitions after they retire from competition. But everybody else is pretty much stuck with a choice between continuing as an "eligible," signing up for whatever work they can get (Disney on Ice, e.g.), or going on to the next phase in their life, such as coaching.

This has to be the niche for the WSF to fill.

Mathman

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
>Joesitz
Some skaters such as Kwan, Liashenko, Slutskaya, Nikidinov, Stoyko, Weiss (and others you can name) are hanging around in the Amateur Eligble Field. My take is that they are here because they like the competitive life and it doesn't exist in the Pro skate world.>

I don´t know about Liashenko´s age, but with the exception of Stojko, aren´t these skaters still rather young? Weiss is though 26 or 27, I think? On the other hand John Curry won his Olympic gold medal in that age.

About pro skate world I think that if a few extremely popular skaters would turn pro, surely that would cause changes in the rather quiet pro skating world of this moment? For example there would be more pro competitions than Ice Wars only. It would be so great to have World Pro back!!!

There has now and then been lots of postings on different forums about the idea of creating a pro competition series with a Final like the eligible Grand Prix. In such a competition series it would be possible for more pro skaters to participate. If there would be a few new very popular NA pro skaters, maybe that idea could be realized?

Marjaana

Last edited:
jaana - I think Liashenko is up there in age with MK, IS and ES. As for the boys I named, I realize that mid-twenties is standard for the boys. You are correct.

As for turning Pro. What does it mean? No one has revitalized the pro skating competitions. The chance was there during the knee wacking that got most viewers interested. But it turned out to be more like a kookie fashion show than a sport, imo.

How do we get that audience back to be interested in Pro Competition as they are in Pro Tennis and definitely in ProGolf? Maybe never, or maybe Europe could do it.

Joe

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Joesitz said:
How do we get that audience back to be interested in Pro Competition as they are in Pro Tennis and definitely in ProGolf? Maybe never, or maybe Europe could do it.

Joe

I have understood that "Ice Wars" has fared very well in ratings. That means that there is lots of interest towards pro skating. World Pro also was very popular (not as pro-am though).

If there would come also some new blood in addition to many of those who already are pros, I would believe that "serious" (no celebrity judges, LOL) and well-arranged pro events could be arranged and they would find lots of audiences, live and on TV.

Marjaana

Last edited:
Jaana = When was the last time we saw an 'Ice Wars'? I think that was right after the Nancy/Tonya thing. If TV networks are not showing these competitions, it's because they are no longer considered viable in the ratings which means the networks get no money from sponsors.

World Pro should be popular. It is a sport, and I agree the whole concept of pro skating has to get some input from new blood.

Joe