• Some should definitely retire - others not

16 76.19%
  • Limit the top age of eligibility officially

2 9.52%
  • Another reason?

2 9.52%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Aged Competitive Skater

Joe, your main point in this poll is very well taken. In reality, there is no such thing as "going pro" any more, because there are no meaningful professional competitions. So in terms of one's career as a competitive skater, "going pro" is the same as retiring from competition.

A very few skaters, such as Michelle Kwan or Elvis Stojko, are so successful and so popular with the audience that they can set their own agendas and write their own ticket, as far as participation in shows and exhibitions after they retire from competition. But everybody else is pretty much stuck with a choice between continuing as an "eligible," signing up for whatever work they can get (Disney on Ice, e.g.), or going on to the next phase in their life, such as coaching.

This has to be the niche for the WSF to fill.

Mathman

Custom Title
    >Joesitz
    Some skaters such as Kwan, Liashenko, Slutskaya, Nikidinov, Stoyko, Weiss (and others you can name) are hanging around in the Amateur Eligble Field. My take is that they are here because they like the competitive life and it doesn't exist in the Pro skate world.>

I don´t know about Liashenko´s age, but with the exception of Stojko, aren´t these skaters still rather young? Weiss is though 26 or 27, I think? On the other hand John Curry won his Olympic gold medal in that age.

About pro skate world I think that if a few extremely popular skaters would turn pro, surely that would cause changes in the rather quiet pro skating world of this moment? For example there would be more pro competitions than Ice Wars only. It would be so great to have World Pro back!!!

There has now and then been lots of postings on different forums about the idea of creating a pro competition series with a Final like the eligible Grand Prix. In such a competition series it would be possible for more pro skaters to participate. If there would be a few new very popular NA pro skaters, maybe that idea could be realized?

Marjaana
    Last edited by Jaana; 08-08-2003 at 09:52 AM.

jaana - I think Liashenko is up there in age with MK, IS and ES. As for the boys I named, I realize that mid-twenties is standard for the boys. You are correct.

As for turning Pro. What does it mean? No one has revitalized the pro skating competitions. The chance was there during the knee wacking that got most viewers interested. But it turned out to be more like a kookie fashion show than a sport, imo.

How do we get that audience back to be interested in Pro Competition as they are in Pro Tennis and definitely in ProGolf? Maybe never, or maybe Europe could do it.

Joe

Custom Title
    Originally posted by Joesitz
    How do we get that audience back to be interested in Pro Competition as they are in Pro Tennis and definitely in ProGolf? Maybe never, or maybe Europe could do it.

Joe
    I have understood that "Ice Wars" has fared very well in ratings. That means that there is lots of interest towards pro skating. World Pro also was very popular (not as pro-am though).

If there would come also some new blood in addition to many of those who already are pros, I would believe that "serious" (no celebrity judges, LOL) and well-arranged pro events could be arranged and they would find lots of audiences, live and on TV.

Marjaana
    Last edited by Jaana; 08-09-2003 at 01:01 AM.

Jaana = When was the last time we saw an 'Ice Wars'? I think that was right after the Nancy/Tonya thing. If TV networks are not showing these competitions, it's because they are no longer considered viable in the ratings which means the networks get no money from sponsors.

World Pro should be popular. It is a sport, and I agree the whole concept of pro skating has to get some input from new blood.

Joe

Custom Title
    I have a tape from maybe two or three Ice Wars (those where Ilia Kulik participated). The latest one, "USA vs. World" team competition, is from fall 2002. In an earlier one Katia and Ilia were a team, I´m not sure if they were a team actually in two Ice Wars competitions? At least in 2000 they were paired as a team.

I think there will be Ice Wars in this fall as well, maybe again the version "USA vs. World" team competition (it has been this version the last two years). CBS is the TV network which showed the competition in fall 2002 (and maybe earlier as well). Isn´t that a common network in USA? Actually I remember reading that Ice Wars gets bigger ratings than the eligible Worlds competition...

Marjaana

P.S. Joesitz, this is an excellent website to bookmark and to visit often, if one does not wish to miss any of the skating shown on US TV networks:

http://heatherw.com/mk/sch.htm
    Last edited by Jaana; 08-09-2003 at 07:21 AM.

Figure Skater Music Editor singerskates's Avatar
    Windsor, ON CAN, at WFCU Centre for Spring Skating School
    I think it would be neat to have the pro and still am skaters who are 30+ do their own Grand Prix Series and their own Worlds and then at the end of the season, the top 6 men, ladies, ice dance teams and pair teams from both the 30+ Worlds and the reg Worlds would compete against each other for bragging rights. They could have an ISU short program and a prolike interpretive program and no qualifying event. The top three Gold, Silver and Bronze get to make up a program for the bottem three to exhibition on the spot and they get to skate to what ever their heart desires for the exhibition. That would get all the skaters motivated to win so they wouldn't have to work so hard and risk looking like a fool infront of the crowd with only 30 minutes to learn a new program. Ok, back to your regular program.

Just dreaming things up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2