For me, Patrick Chan is the male Michelle Kwan....he knows how to electrify the arena | Golden Skate

For me, Patrick Chan is the male Michelle Kwan....he knows how to electrify the arena

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think he's terrific! We got to see him at Skate America, and he was so impressive. :clap: :clap: I wish and hope the media would leave him alone, though, so he can focus totally on his skating..

Germanice

On the Ice
He's talented, without any doubt, but he lacks spark and charisma. We'll see if he's able to "electrify" non-homecountry arenas. In this particular case he's certainly the "male Kwan" :biggrin: ... but then - he's only 17, let's see how he developes.

sillylionlove

Medalist
I have to agree with Iluvtodd. I saw him at Skate America and he was terrific. I was even more impressed when I read in the book that he was only 16 years old!! He was a really nice guy to boot. I got a chance to talk to him. And my picture with him is really awesome.

merrybari

Final Flight
I saw him at SA too, and thoroughly enjoyed his performances there. Lots of talent in one so young. Maturity will only help him to get better, but he already shows a lot of that too.

Happened to tune in the Canadians just as he started his FS there. It was electric - talk about being in the "zone!" He found it there. Really deserved that gold.

The new Kwan?

So well put, Christinaskater. Patrick rocked the house. At Canadian Nationals he had the audience eating out of his hand. This is the kind of performer that figure skating needs to get back on track in North America.

Interesting,too -- he did it without a quad and without a triple Axel combination. Just pure skating. :rock:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've read quotes where Patrick cites Stephane Lambiel as his idol in skating. I definitely see the similarities between them. For me, Stephane is the male Michelle Kwan, but Patrick is certainly a welcome addition to the skating world. I :love: him!!

I believe the real testament of a truly great skater is one whom can capture your attention and interest just by pure basic skating and Michelle, Stephane, and Patrick definitely have this ability. I could just watch them do footwork, spins, and choreography, and be completely spellbound by their beauty, their passion, and their love for the sport. Who needs the jumps to be interested in these 3? :love::bow::clap::love:

GoldMedalist

Match Penalty
Patrick Chan isn't on the same level Kwan was at 15. Jeff Buttle is still the top Canadian guy artistically.

That was the performance of his life, though, and I'm sure he'll improve and become one of the best in the World.

He is still young. But in his Canadians performance, he was in the zone. Everything is easy, everything is natural. Like Michelle, Patrick conveys to the audience, "OK, you can rest easy now, I'll take it from here."

laceup

On the Ice
I agree with GoldMedalist .... Buttle still is tops in artistry at the moment .... having just turned 17, Chan has a huge future ahead of him, his technique is incredible, footwork great, he's not quite as light on his feet as Buttle but I think he'll be the real deal very shortly ... and just like Jeff, he's a nice guy too .... good luck Patrick .... you represent Canada well !!!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
he skates much older than his years and his edges are a thing of beauty. I just love watching him skate and that the 3 axel... WOW. Another thing about Patrick is that he seems to truly enjoy skating and competeing... seems like a very humble and funny guy. I would like to see him get a medal at worlds. I think that he should put in a second 3 axel in his LP... i belive he only has one now. That would give him a much better shot at the world podium.

kyla2

Final Flight
Patrick Chan

I am pretty jaded when it comes to new skaters. In other words, it takes alot to impress me. Patrick Chan is very impressive and imo better than Jeffrey Buttle. He is the one to watch, hands down. But to be another Michelle Kwan is going to be a difficult feat to achieve. Longevity at the top was part of what made her so impressive. Lambiel is wonderful when he is on, but he is inconsistent. Johnny Weir is amazing and has potential to get better. I have a ton of respect for him.

Last edited:

Wrlmy

Medalist
Chan's great! Although I find his program dull, it doesn't stop me from appreciating him. If he stays consistent, I'm sure he will place top 5 in Sweden.

skatergirl45

On the Ice
I love Chan. He has it in him to be the next best thing in male skating. Defintely a medal contender for 2014.
My friend at the rink got a chance to see him at Skate America and we are both now HUGE fans............
He's cute too...

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Tell me about it.

I watched his LP on Country Canada (not in the arena, but on a big screen TV I bought from door crasher sales on boxing day). At 2/3 point in his program, I just cried and couldn't do PBP any more - I don't have those moments very often in my life. Watching this on youtube is still great, but it is not even close to the feel you get from watching his performance on TV. I am sure watching it in the arena was even better.

I never thought Vivaldi's four seasons was that beautiful before the Nationals. Had Vivaldi been around, he would have been thankful to Patrick for taking his music to a new height.

Compared with Jeff, Patrick has slightly better skating skills. His first coach (Colson) got him started on the classic figures before learning jumps, to which he accredited for his deep edges. Some fans may enjoy Jeff more, which I don't find surprising at all. Jeff has been around a lot longer and he is a seasoned performer.

Anyhoo, Patrick and Jeff will make Canadian 1-2 punch at Worlds. This is the best team in so many years.

stevlin

On the Ice
Jeff still king of artistry

Patrick Chan isn't on the same level Kwan was at 15. Jeff Buttle is still the top Canadian guy artistically.

That was the performance of his life, though, and I'm sure he'll improve and become one of the best in the World.

I agree with you. Jeffrey Buttle's artistry is unmatched. He skates non stop, no breather time, he has something going on every second of his skating. breathtakingly beautiful. Plus jeff is so handsome. When he skates, mistake or not, my eyes are on Jeff. I hope he does well at Worlds. His gala number at Canadians was the best I've ever seen, plus the late L. Pavarotti was singing. :agree:

emma

Record Breaker
I totally share the Chan love, especially about his edges and his use of the blades and how it just cuts and carves yet smoothly, fluidly -- i just can't stop watching. I know that not everyone finds his 4 seasons riveting, but I must admit that I felt like others here and just was mesmerized AND i cried, which i haven't done in a while (with skating, that is).

I love buttle too --- GOD, it must make many a Canadian proud to have such great men....on that note, does anyone have a youtube link to jeff or patrick's exhibition??? thanks.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jeff is still my favorite eligible skater on the men's side, but I think Patrick is great too. I hope they both do well at Worlds! :)

jennylovskt

Medalist
Compare with Patrick Chan, Jeffrey is still superior in the artistic area. However, Patrick is strong athletically. Like many have said, his deep edges and the variation and the speed are amazing. Once he upgrades his jumps, he will be a force to the top. He is definitely a future of men's figure skating. Go! Canada!!!

Last edited:

fenway

On the Ice
I hope you're right. I'd love to see someone pump some life back into this sport. He has a bright future no doubt.