Future Nationals and Worlds Locations? | Golden Skate

Future Nationals and Worlds Locations?

I once knew where to look for this information, but I'm going in circles and finding nothing today.
Does anyone know off the top of their head, or where on line I can find out, where future Natinals and World's competitions will be held. I think they usually have the cities picked in advance for 2 or 3 years, don't they?
I'm hoping one year they will be near enough to me that I can somehow attend.

childfreegirl

Final Flight
According to a poster on FSU, RFPs for 2010 Nats (US) just went out to club presidents last week. The deadline for submission is some time in March, so we're probably looking at governing council for an announcement.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Euros are in Helsinki and Worlds in Los Angeles in 2009. Four Continents will be held in Vancouver, as a dry run for the 2010 Olympics.

Euros in Tallinn and Worlds in Torino in 2010.

Thanks everyone!

Wouldn't FLA be a nice location in the middle of winter for Nat's! I don't know of Cleveland would be do-able for me or not.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
A lot of people I talked to liked the layout of the main and practice rinks in Portland...

Anchorage, Alaska would have a similar format as the two main rinks here are across the parking lot from each other....

It would at least be warmer than St. Paul! *is still trying to warm up*

Tigger

Final Flight
I know you were wondering about National Championships and Worlds, but if you're interested...

This year's Skate Canada is in Ottawa techincally, but the arena is in a suburb called Kanata.

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Thanks everyone!

Wouldn't FLA be a nice location in the middle of winter for Nat's! I don't know of Cleveland would be do-able for me or not.

Yes, Florida would be nice. As would Alabama. (I'm right on the state line.):biggrin:

Georgia, Mississippi or Tennesee would be almost as nice. Georgia maybe more so.

There is talk of improving the sports arena area in South Philadelphia..something about building a hotel and "complex"...It'd be great to have Nationals come back to Philadelphia. There are two buildings right next door to each other with ice and at least one hotel that I know of within walking distance to the arenas. I told my DH if they build a hotel right next to the main ice venue, he can drop me there if Natinals come back to Philly, and then pick me up when it's all over! I'm 20 minutes from South Philly, we went to some of the '98 Nationals when they were there.

sillylionlove

Medalist
That's a great idea about Philly NJsk8fan.....but there is one problem. Part of the plans to build the entertainment complex and hotel complex next to the Wachovia Center include tearing down the Wachovia Spectrum. So there won't be two areanas there anymore...I don't know if the plans include a new spectrum type arena! I only heard that they will keep the Wachovia Center.

Unless they build an ice rink in Citizens Bank Park or the Linc but I suspect that the Phillies and the Eagles won't like that too much!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ElFuego

Rinkside
The problem with 2010 US Nationals is that the USFSA wants to schedule it so that the senior Mens and Pairs events happen over the first weekend, and the ladies and dance finals happen over the second weekend (I'm under the impression this will not be a permanent change, just one for the Olympic year, so that the men and pairs Olympic teams can immediately start preparing, as the men and pairs event at the Olympics happen a week befor ladies and dance).

In any case, that is why packages were sent out late. Cities that had been considering bidding for 2010 Nationals are having to scramble to find a large enough venue that is able to be used on two weekends. I think Boston was one of the cities initially interested in 2010, but the 2 weekend schedule may make it easier for a smaller city (that doesn't have to schedule around professional sports events) to make a successful bid.

In any case, if you're thinking of 2010, start saving your time-off now, because it's going to last a couple of days longer than usual.

gkelly

Record Breaker
The problem with 2010 US Nationals is that the USFSA wants to schedule it so that the senior Mens and Pairs events happen over the first weekend, and the ladies and dance finals happen over the second weekend

And all the novice and junior events would take place on the weekdays in between, instead of starting with the novices?

ElFuego

Rinkside
I didn't see a list of dates - my guess is that they might start practice sessions for the two senior events on the Thursday before, have them on Friday-Saturday-Sunday, with the novice SPs still starting on Sunday as before? The past couple of years, the Junior CD and OD were Sunday/Tuesday, and the Junior Ladies SP was on Tuesday -- those could be bumped later in the week?

dwiggin3

Final Flight
A lot of people I talked to liked the layout of the main and practice rinks in Portland...

Anchorage, Alaska would have a similar format as the two main rinks here are across the parking lot from each other....

It would at least be warmer than St. Paul! *is still trying to warm up*

Love this idea, but I'd have to say it will never happen.

The problem with 2010 US Nationals is that the USFSA wants to schedule it so that the senior Mens and Pairs events happen over the first weekend, and the ladies and dance finals happen over the second weekend (I'm under the impression this will not be a permanent change, just one for the Olympic year, so that the men and pairs Olympic teams can immediately start preparing, as the men and pairs event at the Olympics happen a week befor ladies and dance).

In any case, that is why packages were sent out late. Cities that had been considering bidding for 2010 Nationals are having to scramble to find a large enough venue that is able to be used on two weekends. I think Boston was one of the cities initially interested in 2010, but the 2 weekend schedule may make it easier for a smaller city (that doesn't have to schedule around professional sports events) to make a successful bid.

In any case, if you're thinking of 2010, start saving your time-off now, because it's going to last a couple of days longer than usual.

It might be a good idea for the skaters but a terrible idea for the fans, many of whom were like me and came mid-week to see the later half of the comp.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Love this idea, but I'd have to say it will never happen.

Probably not, but I can dream. A lot of people said it'd be too far for the east coast (I hate that thought process - my family does that when they want me to visit as it's too expensive for them to fly up... but apparently it's dirt cheap to fly down [it's not it's the same price but whatever])

Maybe if Rory can really make a difference and turn the skating program around we'll someday have a shot. (Keegan's success is just beginning after all! :rock: )

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
2010 Nationals

It seems that splitting Senior events into 2 weekends is a distinct possibility. Guess that would leave me watching at home. No way could I get that much time off work...or justify the expense for only one of the weekends. From what I've read Senior men and pairs would be the first weekend and Senior ladies and dance the second weekend. The last two years Jr. ladies SP and Novice men have skated on the first Sunday...so don't know where they would be moved to. Not being able to watch more senior practices in Saint Paul was a real bummer for me so this format would be even worse.

Don't know what the USFSA is thinking. Perhaps they think Icenetwork will be ok and a good substitute. They are ignoring the fact that some of us don't have computers at home or don't have high speed connections. Even if I got a high speed connection (I have dialup now), I wouldn't be able to sit and just watch the skating....life would get in the way.

Oh well, Cleveland may be my final Nationals.

Maureen