Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Angelic/Demonic Lessons & Practices August 3-9

Skater Girl
    I hope to compete in AN when I'm 25...eight years away, haha. I think I can do open USFSA competition when I get ready to, though; I heard for up to open pre-juvenile you're 19 or younger. I think I'll be at that level.

Angelic - Today was a breakthrough day. We worked on the mohawks into the waltz, and I really went through it slowly and deliberately...and it was GREAT! My coach told me I was graceful and smooth, and my speed was even better when I didn't rush through it. Today was Harness Day(tm). I did some nice loops in the harness. The salchow = problem still, but, hey, today was a breakthrough... I need to learn to check out better from that jump. I tend to lean and that's what makes me fall. I figured out my mohawk problem... I tend to step BEHIND rather than IN FRONT of my other skate, and it's pretty much corrected. I went in a straight line, now I'm more curved and it's a lot smoother. Basically now I'm taking everything one step at a time, a lot more slowly, cautiously, and therefore A LOT BETTER! Sit spin progress is getting there...next is forward scratch, which looks scary and hard. I think today was one of the best days I've had ever!!!

Demonic - Nothing, for once! *dances around*

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL! Cinderella on Ice's Avatar
    Wow, today I jumped and spun myself till I had nothing left to give! I skated for an hour and half, but really worked hard the entire time. I ran through my program several times and was not very happy with it until I decided to "back off" trying to make it so big. Once I relaxed, it actually was quite good (if I must say so myself). My spins weren't as good as earlier this week, but my jumps improved considerably. I finally got the timing right on the split/fallingleaf/toe loop sequence, and one of the skaters there said, "you're our idol" after a particularly nice looking one.

I worked through all jumps through the lutz and all spins through the camel/sit, and I can tell I'm getting greater jump height and better spin revolutions.

I really drove myself hard and at the end I did one more run through of the whole program, and then power skated for an additional 6 minutes to build endurance. Now I'm just toasted!

Skater Girl
    Yay on the jump sequence, Cindy! *cheers*

Learning to Fly
    Demonic: Had some obnoxious people at the session today... nothing too bad, I just wish I could predict when it's crowded or near-empty. There doesn't seem to be a regular pattern. It was okay though. I didn't really feel like going, stressed out about all the things I have to do to get ready to leave for school in a few weeks, but it turned out okay because as they say skating IS therapeutic. I kind of neglected my outside three turns and edges today so I hope they come back next week because I haven't gone through a session w/o working on them very much at all like I did today. So we'll see.

Angelic: Made some solid progress on things that I've been neglecting bcs they were "too hard." Worked hard on inside 3s - my RFI3 is almost there, and I did the evil LFI3s until I wanted to scream. Worked on those for a half hour. They're still teeny tiny with almost no gliding in or out of the turn but I can at least squeak them out w/o flailing and falling over everywhere. Also worked the left inside mohawk to death, although not as much as the LFI3. My right mohawks were okay, not great yet, but the left one was killing me and I worked on it enough so that it got there in primordial form. Now the best thing... I think I had a two-foot spin breakthrough today!! I was skating on Joy's skates (I *think* I may have made the decision to buy them) and I hadn't been spinning well on them at all, just not used to the blades yet. I tried a few spins at the beginning of the session with no success (getting one rotation at best) but then at the end I thought I'd do a few before I left. I hit a few really good ones (for me) - I think the trick was pulling my arms in more slowly and of course focusing my weight distribution or whatever. Before, I was just trying to stick my arms straight out in front of me and bring them in, but I tried putting them in a "ballet pose" first (arms around a beach ball!) and then bringing them in and that stabilized me much better. Anyway my best ones were only four rotations or so but they were a lot faster and better than I had been doing before. So I feel good about that. Phew. I thought I was doomed to never be able to spin

Lanie: Who knows, we may be at Adult Nationals at the same time! Do I sense a challenge coming on? You better keep skating until then, because I will! (Hey did you know we have almost the same birthday, just a year and a day apart? I just looked at your profile )

Skater Girl
    Haha, Rachel, that's so cool! Yes, yes, we must go head-to-head at AN in 2011, if it's still in existence then. And a hint with the threes--bend the knee deep when you do the glide before you switch edge.

In love with the axel!
    The little kid had lesson #2 today and loved it again :D . It was only him, our coach and me on the ice, which was very nice. Didn't get a whole lot done after his lesson, because we were having too much fun messing around --- but that's ok!

Skater Girl
    Angelic - Both forward scratch and back scratch have arrived. Still sometimes wobbly, but I get super speed on the forward. Sit spin is doing well.

Demonic - The jumps said goodbye today, mostly, but that's alright. I'm having trouble with the salchow; it just does NOT want to cooperate and be a nice single sal, only a half. Grr!

Figure Skater Music Editor singerskates's Avatar
    Windsor, ON CAN, at WFCU Centre for Spring Skating School
    Originally posted by Lanie
    I hope to compete in AN when I'm 25...eight years away, haha. I think I can do open USFSA competition when I get ready to, though; I heard for up to open pre-juvenile you're 19 or younger. I think I'll be at that level.

Angelic - Today was a breakthrough day. We worked on the mohawks into the waltz, and I really went through it slowly and deliberately...and it was GREAT! My coach told me I was graceful and smooth, and my speed was even better when I didn't rush through it. Today was Harness Day(tm). I did some nice loops in the harness. The salchow = problem still, but, hey, today was a breakthrough... I need to learn to check out better from that jump. I tend to lean and that's what makes me fall. I figured out my mohawk problem... I tend to step BEHIND rather than IN FRONT of my other skate, and it's pretty much corrected. I went in a straight line, now I'm more curved and it's a lot smoother. Basically now I'm taking everything one step at a time, a lot more slowly, cautiously, and therefore A LOT BETTER! Sit spin progress is getting there...next is forward scratch, which looks scary and hard. I think today was one of the best days I've had ever!!!

Demonic - Nothing, for once! *dances around*

You get to use a harness for your single jumps below an axel? My club won't let me us a harness until I'm ready to try an axel.

Brigitte

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2