Angelic/Demonic Lessons & Practices August 3-9 | Golden Skate

Angelic/Demonic Lessons & Practices August 3-9

Cinderella on Ice

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL!
On the Ice
We've got a fresh week ahead of us. Please let us know how your lessons and practices turn out. Are they great (angelic) or frustrating (demonic)?

Get it all out of your system here, and let's help each other have a fabulous skating week!

rachelstarlet

Rinkside
I just wrote a loooong description of my lesson today but my computer froze! ARGH!!!! I'll be back this evening and I suppose I'll write it all over again, but I just had to express my frustration :mad:

aly*cutie

On the Ice
I had a great lesson today! I did my axel and now I am learning a back camel spin! :) It was one of my better skating days :)

rachelstarlet

Rinkside
Despite my frustrations earlier (grumble, grumble) I'm gonna see if I can retype what I wrote. My lesson actually ended up being a real private lesson because Tricia had to cancel at the last minute. Joy offered to just do 15 minutes so I could pay the same price I would've if Tricia had been there but I figured I might as well do the half hour. So we did! We covered so much stuff: brushed up on edges & crossovers, did mohawks and outside 3s, introduced inside 3s, looked at waltz jumps briefly, and then finally introduced how to enter a spin.

Demonic: Inside 3s, bleh. For some reason I kept shifting my weight to my heel and then I would've toppled over backwards except that I did most of them holding Joy's hands. Left mohawk, still bleh. And I had made so much improvement on my outside 3s but when I was showing them I kept wanting to put my free foot down after I turned for some reason. So turns just weren't "on" today, even my two foot ones didn't have enough knee bend.

Angelic: Forward crossovers greatly improved. We really worked on emphasizing the two pushes, because I would push off and then just kinda do whatever to get my other foot back in front. Once I worked on pushing out rather than back, and really staying off my toepicks, my crossovers were so much smoother (if that makes sense). I didn't know they could improve so much! I was proud when we were working on waltz jumps because even though some things are harder for me, it's so impressive and ego boosting to be able to jump when someone says "Jump!" You know? We scheduled another one for next week. I think I'll do at least two more before I leave for college. It was nice to get a taste of a private lesson, because hopefully when I get to Spokane they'll have some adult group classes at my level (as opposed to the non-existant adult program here) but I'll still have private lessons as an option. As long as my student loans hold out :)

Also, after our lesson I asked Joy some more about her skates. I told her I was still unsure about buying them but I'd really like to if it works out. She said I was welcome to try them on anytime since she leaves them at the rink in the little "coach's room" or whatever. So I tried them again for about 45 minutes (did 25 the first time) and it was pretty good, actually. The boots were slightly heavier than I'm used to, but I didn't have any problems - didn't ever feel the urge to relace (as I often do w/ my current skates, they're at least a half size too big I think) and my feet felt fine after I put my regular shoes on (sometimes my instep gets sore bcs of lack of arch support or something). It was stiffer at the very top than I'm used to but after awhile I didn't notice. I started from the beginning (per Glacierskater's suggestion, I think) and did swizzles and one foot glides all the way up - the only things I didn't attempt seriously were waltz jumps (walked through a couple and realized I was shifting my weight too far forward when simulating the landing and I was too scared of catching the toepicks and falling to really jump) and my two foot spin (which I couldn't do much anyway). The only thing I couldn't do was stop! It was kinda funny. It took me a few weeks to learn to stop anyway so I didn't expect it right away. Once I got used to the edges (seemed to take more knee bend and lean, maybe, but once my body got it I was doing edges better than I ever had, no wobbling) I felt good and so I think I'll try them one more time and see how it goes and then probably buy them. I'll talk to Joy next week.

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Rachel: Maybe Joy will let you have a pro shop check those skates for proper fit? Just a thought.

Alyssa: Whoo hoo on the axel. Good skating!

Ahh, H-E-double toothpicks: Only one skating day this week, this morning. My coach has to go to one competition with several of her students later this week, and hubby's coach and others are headed to State Games of America, so no ice Thursday, and we have weekend plans that don't include skating. When you read below you'll realize why I wish I had more ice time this week.

Angel Baby: MAJOR, MAJOR SPINNING BREAKTHROUGH TODAY!!! Not only are two foots better, coach took a critical look at my one foot spin and suggested I keep my free foot back longer. Really take my time to push off and bring the leg around when it feels like its going to turn naturally, sort of the same way I do my salchow. Well, doggone if that didn't make a HUGE difference. I knocked off the FIRST four revolution one foot spin I've ever done!!!! :D Some attempts were better than others, but all were majorly improved from what I've done previously--i"m finally learning not to pop the leg around. At one point, it was totally funny, I pulled in and started to spin faster and I guess I panicked and balked out of the spin rather dramatically (arms flailing, the whole nine yards...). :eek: At that point, we reviewed how to GRACEFULLY exit a one foot spin... :p

All in all, one darn good day!!! How's everyone else's week going. Do Tell!!!!!

sk8er1964

On the Ice
Yazmeen said:

Angel Baby: MAJOR, MAJOR SPINNING BREAKTHROUGH TODAY!!! Not only are two foots better, coach took a critical look at my one foot spin and suggested I keep my free foot back longer. Really take my time to push off and bring the leg around when it feels like its going to turn naturally, sort of the same way I do my salchow. Well, doggone if that didn't make a HUGE difference. I knocked off the FIRST four revolution one foot spin I've ever done!!!! :D Some attempts were better than others, but all were majorly improved from what I've done previously--i"m finally learning not to pop the leg around. At one point, it was totally funny, I pulled in and started to spin faster and I guess I panicked and balked out of the spin rather dramatically (arms flailing, the whole nine yards...). :eek: At that point, we reviewed how to GRACEFULLY exit a one foot spin... :p

All in all, one darn good day!!! How's everyone else's week going. Do Tell!!!!!

How cool, Yazmeen! I love the major breakthroughs - don't they just make you feel tingly (sp) all over for days?!

For me, I had one yesterday. After 4 weeks of futile 2Toe attempts, I got the correct version of crossing my feet into my brain. Just once, but that's ok. Then today in my lesson, my coach said there was definately a difference in my singles. Then in the harness, I fully rotated the 2Toe with crossed legs! Woo Hoo!!! I know in my heart that it won't be long now before I have this jump -- by AN in April, for sure!

Glacierskater

On the Ice
CINDER:
Did we have a test today? How did you do? If not, then I am losing my mind, and have been working nights way too long. I LOVE your avatar!

RACHEL:
Don't you just love private lessons? I do think that it would be fun a to a group lesson every now and then, but my rink does not offer that for the level I am at...as least I don't think that they do. On the 3 turns: Are you keeping that knee bent, and not bending from the waist? And, are you checking those arms? Those unchecked arms will send you in every direction but the intended one.

It took me a bout 2 years to realize that there were 2 pushes in the crossover. I think that it was a coaching oversite...but, once I got it, things made so much more sense. I was doing other stuff too, I just did not have the "schtick" to my crossovers.

I highly encourage you to jump in the skates once you get warmed up. Good job on wearing them longer, but please do try to jump in them at least once to make sure that there is not something just crazy that would make you regret buying them...it would do you no good to gain new boots and lose jumps...we have to get you to adult nationals...:p

ALYSSA:
I am flat out jealous. I want the axel. All in good time I know, but I still want it!

YAZMEEN:
Excellent work on the one footspin. I have had the same guidance from my coahc in learning to improve. It is amazing to me what one little adjustment can do. I love reading your entries.

Sk8ER1964:
In the harness! Two toe for the AN! Woo hoo! I am seriously thinking that I need to go come this spring just to check it out and meet people. Then I would know what to expect. You guys are all inspirational!

Okay,
I know that I have not made entries in like a week on any real skating. We have not had ice time due to hockey camp and most of my skating is done on my days off...the back half of the week. I really do skate, I promise!
Did I mention that I will be taking my Pre Bronse USFSA test this Sunday? This is my first one, and I am ready as I can be for it. Then there will be bronze, and so forth...I have practice tomorrow and I will be checking in. Everyone keep up the great work!

Glacierskater

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Which test, Glacier? MITF, Freestyle, or both? Good Luck!!! You're going to pass with flying colors!!!!:agree:

sk8er1964

On the Ice
Glacierskater said:
Did I mention that I will be taking my Pre Bronse USFSA test this Sunday? This is my first one, and I am ready as I can be for it. Then there will be bronze, and so forth...I have practice tomorrow and I will be checking in. Everyone keep up the great work!

Glacierskater

Good luck on the test!!!!!

If you are interested in what others are doing in USFSA comps, but don't want to go all the way to Lake Placid, there may be open events including Pre-Bronze at the Midwest Sectionals in the Cleveland area in March, or also, Wyandotte (near Detroit) last year hosted an all-adult competition in March (in conjunction with Sectionals). I wonder if they might do it again....I'll let you all know when I hear.

luenatic

On the Ice
Hello all. This is my first post here in the Lutz Corner. I talk to Yazmeen for quite some time now in various skating boards and I'd like to get to know you all better. Just to give you some background info, I'm a male adult skater started skating about 3 years ago. For the first 1.5 years, I joined the adult beginning group lesson. I wanted to make sure that's what I want to do before I committed to private lessons.

One day my current coach came over and asked me if I wanted to start private lessons. By that time, there were lots of personnel and management changes in the rink. I had 5 to 7 (I lost count) different instructors for the group lessons so far. So I decided it's a good time to move on to private lesson.

Oh boy, was it tough. I had to re-learn the stroking and crossovers. It took us almost a year to learn the proper techniques so that I can glide across the ice smoothly with deep knee bends. But I'm a slow learner. :p

I started working on the FS1 program last September and I had my first competition in May this year. My second (and also the last) FS1 competition was the State Game in July.

In addition to my private lessons, I also take MITF class once a week. My coach is also the instructor for the MITF class as well. She highly recommends the MITF class for me and she's right. It's very difficult for me in the beginning. But all the drillings had a very positive impact on my over all skating.

Enough of me already, here is my practice report for this week.

Didn't practice on the weekend at all. Been busy doing home improvement stuff. All these hours of watching design on a dime, decorating cents, designing for the sexes, trading spaces, designer challenge, weekend warrior and many more paid off. Hours and hours of wall paper striping, paint removal, cleaning, sanding, painting...... And finally, put on the final coat of paint and we're done. So now you know how much time I had for skating this past weekend.

Went to the ice for the first time in a week. MITF class was OK, actually. Did lots of back outside 3s and they're coming along nicely. Let's just put it this way, there are still lots of room for improvement on my LBO 3s.

Talked to my coach on whether my next program will be FS2 or FS3. And we made a decision, it's going to be FS3. So we finished the unfinished business. My coach asked me to do the FS2 elements and see if I can start FS3 immediately.

First the 2 forward spirals. I did the RFI to RFO change of edge spiral and my coach's jaw dropped to the floor. She couldn't believe I did the COE spiral in 3 weeks time. Yaz, you're the inspiration here. Must give you credit here. She asked me to do the COE 2 more times and she was just speechless. I told her that I watched my Michelle Kwan tape and studied her spiral sequence. And she said, "Oh good, now dig up the tape to learn the back outside pivot". :p Since FS3 needs a back spiral so I showed her my LBO and RBO spiral seperately and I'm good to go. Now we just have to figure out which back spiral to use after the COE.

1 foot spin was OK. Did 3 centered revs and we moved on.

Started to learn back outside pivot. It's not as easy as it looks. I really have to work on this one. It's pretty to look at so I want to do it well.

Also worked on the entrance into the back spin. Let's just say there's no spin at this point. :(

Outside mohawk has improved a little bit. Still need lots more knee bend and better upper body balancing. It's going to be a challenge for me to not hit the inside edge. But that's what practice is for. That's the key element in the footwork sequence that I'm most afriad of.

I'm excited that I'm going to learn all the FS3 elements. It'll give me plenty of challenges for a while and I like it.

Happy skating everyone.

singerskates

On the Ice
Sunny: Got to skate Tuesday (Yesterday Aug. 5th). Even though I wasn't on club ice, Tecumseh Arena just let me do whatever I felt like doing jumps, spins and all. Waltz jumps, still have them. Salchow, got it back after 3 tries. Toe loop somehow is back even though I was having problems with it this past spring. Forward spin, I didn't count the rotations today but I was blurring them again. There were a few songs that were neat to jam with on the radio during the 2 hour session. One time during Tuesday's public session, I did a LFO spiral and then a RFI op mo to do a LBI spiral into a salchow. Pretty neat feeling. Going to use this in my program this year.

Rainy: Skated on public ice and had to weave through beginner/rec skaters and hockey boys chasing each other not looking where they were going. This cause me to use thoughs extra eyes in the back of my head we moms have and had to stop many times in my tracks. Didn't have the space for combination jumps. Loop jump doesn't seem to be working as I somehow mess up and land on my left foot instead of my right foot. Flip isn't cranking all the way around and dies. Sitspin starts but I don't stay down long enough to count. They could have picked a better radio station.

Brigitte

Figure Skaters For Christ can be found at http://www.fs4christ.com and Competitive Adult Skaters for skaters 18+ and coaches only. No fans please.

Cinderella on Ice

On the Ice
AArgh. I tried to post here yesterday, and then lost my whole post. I want to go back and comment on what you've all written, so in this post I'll just tell about my (now) two practices, and then I'll do a separate commenting one.

Angelic - Tuesday's practice and lesson turned out so much better than I thought they would. I've been under quite a bit of stress in the work world lately, so I'm not getting much sleep and am trying to cram too much into each day. So I sort of sleepwalked to my practice and when my coach was late for my lesson, I figured the morning would be shot. On contraire! She started me off with spins, and I nailed the back scratch, camel/sit, camel, scratch, and sit, all on the first tries! She didn't even want me to do them again--just to remember them as is. Then we ran through the jump elements, and they were all strong too. So I did a program run-through, and while I had a couple of bobbles (one on the slam-you-to-the-ice footwork, and one on the jump sequence), all of a sudden she was full of high praise for the program. Since my test is in 16 days, it gave me some added confidence. The thing I was most proud of is that I have obviously built up my endurance, because I was not my usual huffing and puffing self. At the end of the program, she made me skate at strong speed for another 3 minutes, and I could actually feel my pulse slowing down as I caught my stride. So my Silver Test won't be perfect (the way I'd like it to be), but I think it will be more artistic than it was for Bronze. And hopefully I'll pass!

Today's practice was also good, though not quite angelic. I didn't have the opportunity to put my music on, but I spent the whole time working on program elements. I feel like I'm getting much more confident on the slamming footwork. I tightened up the spins again today, and I especially made progress on the split/falling leaf/toe loop. I discovered my problem is that I'm trying to do some giant split jump and throwing myself all out of whack. I actually get a better split and more control if I back off a bit. So it was a good practice. I did more endurance today, and skated at top speed for 10 minutes. It felt good.

Cinderella on Ice

On the Ice
Oh, I'm so excited now that I've had a chance to read all of your posts! Everone is coming along so nicely!

Singerskates - isn't it cool when you get to do what you want to at a public skate? Sounds like you made great progress and I bet we all know exactly what you're talking about when you mention "that feeling." It's the drug that keeps me coming back for more!

Luenatic - welcome, and how nice to get to know you. Obviously you're working hard and steadily improving. I just LOVE when you move up a level and get to add so many new elements to your practice repetoire. Have a great time with those FS3 elements!

Glacier - Thanks for noticing my avatar. It's a little hard to see in this teeny, tiny form, but I still like. it. BTW, no, my test is on the 22nd. I think I confused you in my email because I said I was getting my cast off that afternoon, and the test was in the morning. I meant that morning, not THIS morning. But thanks for the good wishes. I'll save them for 2 weeks from now. And more importantly, GOOD LUCK (not that you need it) with the test this Sunday. You'll be just fine. You've got all the elements sussed, and there's no need to be nervous. Just trust that your body will go on autopilot and do what it needs to. And remember to HAVE FUN! On each of my tests so far, the judges always remark on how smiley and happy I look out on the ice. I think it's important that they see that YOU LOVE TO SKATE!

Aly - totally cool on the axel. There's no better feeling!

Sk8r1964 - woo hoo on the doubles progress! I can't wait to see you snapping off 2toes all over Lake Placid. You are my hero!

Rachel - you're learning so much so fast, I can hardly keep up with you. Simply awesome, girl. Every month gets better and better. And good luck with the skates.

Everyone - thanks for sharing all your ups and downs. It's been so inspirational to me. I hope to meet as many of you as possible over the next few years. Keep up the good work!

Lanie

On the Ice
Angelic - Toes and flips were good...I made a new friend. :) I did a nice 5 revolution sit spin I didn't sit on! I actually exited it. It was wobbly, not very graceful, but I did it! Woohoo! I got pretty low...I mean, for me, anyway. :)

Demonic - The ice was bad, so I had problems doing a lot of things. Loop and salchow have said goodbye, I hope to never see you again! And the loop is my best jump. It's sad.

rachelstarlet

Rinkside
I'm so happy that more people are posting here! It's great to read descriptions from so many different skill levels (most higher than mine - great inspiration!). Cinderella - I agree, I hope I can meet some of you in the coming years!!! I'm 18, so as far as I know I can't compete in USFSA adult comps for another 7 years (right?) which is kinda depressing, but then again, it gives me pleeenty of time to get ready for Adult Nationals! I hope you all are still skating by then!

Today:

Demonic: Nothing really. LFI3 - argh!!! Everything else felt somewhere between okay-ish to pretty good. I tried a spiral and promply fell over, which was actually pretty funny, not a painful fall. I maintain that I'm not flexible enough to do spirals yet ;)

Angelic: Did some work on waltz jumps, and managed to actually get a little height! Of course I'm sure they're tiny but by my standards it was like "whoa." When I actually do my arms right and remember to bend it gets pretty good. And my RFI3 started to actually work for a little while but then it went away again. Hah. Ohwell.

Tricia came w/ me today and we encountered our friends in the "skating family" again (I posted about them a month or so ago) and we talked forever. They are so friendly, and give us tons of advice. ALSO I skated for three hours today on Joy's skates. I'm sure you're sick of hearing me talk on this subject :) but I dunno.... they feel pretty good... I'm still so undecided! Everyone's advice has been great though. The boots feel like they fit really well but I just hope it's not only in contrast to my old boots which don't fit well at all. I felt like I was getting a lot more support on waltz jumps (I was brave enough to try them w/ the new skates) and didn't wobble on the back outside edge when I landed them (like I do w/ my current ones). Anyhoo, I probably won't get to skate again until Monday (second lesson day!) so until then happy skating!

Lanie

On the Ice
I hope to compete in AN when I'm 25...eight years away, haha. I think I can do open USFSA competition when I get ready to, though; I heard for up to open pre-juvenile you're 19 or younger. I think I'll be at that level.

Angelic - Today was a breakthrough day. We worked on the mohawks into the waltz, and I really went through it slowly and deliberately...and it was GREAT! My coach told me I was graceful and smooth, and my speed was even better when I didn't rush through it. Today was Harness Day(tm). I did some nice loops in the harness. :) The salchow = problem still, but, hey, today was a breakthrough... I need to learn to check out better from that jump. I tend to lean and that's what makes me fall. I figured out my mohawk problem... I tend to step BEHIND rather than IN FRONT of my other skate, and it's pretty much corrected. I went in a straight line, now I'm more curved and it's a lot smoother. Basically now I'm taking everything one step at a time, a lot more slowly, cautiously, and therefore A LOT BETTER! Sit spin progress is getting there...next is forward scratch, which looks scary and hard. I think today was one of the best days I've had ever!!!

Demonic - Nothing, for once! *dances around*

Cinderella on Ice

On the Ice
Wow, today I jumped and spun myself till I had nothing left to give! I skated for an hour and half, but really worked hard the entire time. I ran through my program several times and was not very happy with it until I decided to "back off" trying to make it so big. Once I relaxed, it actually was quite good (if I must say so myself). My spins weren't as good as earlier this week, but my jumps improved considerably. I finally got the timing right on the split/fallingleaf/toe loop sequence, and one of the skaters there said, "you're our idol" after a particularly nice looking one.

I worked through all jumps through the lutz and all spins through the camel/sit, and I can tell I'm getting greater jump height and better spin revolutions.

I really drove myself hard and at the end I did one more run through of the whole program, and then power skated for an additional 6 minutes to build endurance. Now I'm just toasted!

rachelstarlet

Rinkside
Demonic: Had some obnoxious people at the session today... nothing too bad, I just wish I could predict when it's crowded or near-empty. There doesn't seem to be a regular pattern. It was okay though. I didn't really feel like going, stressed out about all the things I have to do to get ready to leave for school in a few weeks, but it turned out okay because as they say skating IS therapeutic. I kind of neglected my outside three turns and edges today so I hope they come back next week because I haven't gone through a session w/o working on them very much at all like I did today. So we'll see.

Angelic: Made some solid progress on things that I've been neglecting bcs they were "too hard." Worked hard on inside 3s - my RFI3 is almost there, and I did the evil LFI3s until I wanted to scream. Worked on those for a half hour. They're still teeny tiny with almost no gliding in or out of the turn but I can at least squeak them out w/o flailing and falling over everywhere. Also worked the left inside mohawk to death, although not as much as the LFI3. My right mohawks were okay, not great yet, but the left one was killing me and I worked on it enough so that it got there in primordial form. Now the best thing... I think I had a two-foot spin breakthrough today!! I was skating on Joy's skates (I *think* I may have made the decision to buy them) and I hadn't been spinning well on them at all, just not used to the blades yet. I tried a few spins at the beginning of the session with no success (getting one rotation at best) but then at the end I thought I'd do a few before I left. I hit a few really good ones (for me) - I think the trick was pulling my arms in more slowly and of course focusing my weight distribution or whatever. Before, I was just trying to stick my arms straight out in front of me and bring them in, but I tried putting them in a "ballet pose" first (arms around a beach ball!) and then bringing them in and that stabilized me much better. Anyway my best ones were only four rotations or so but they were a lot faster and better than I had been doing before. So I feel good about that. Phew. I thought I was doomed to never be able to spin :)

Lanie: Who knows, we may be at Adult Nationals at the same time! Do I sense a challenge coming on? :) You better keep skating until then, because I will! (Hey did you know we have almost the same birthday, just a year and a day apart? I just looked at your profile :))

Lanie

On the Ice
Haha, Rachel, that's so cool! :) Yes, yes, we must go head-to-head at AN in 2011, if it's still in existence then. ;) And a hint with the threes--bend the knee deep when you do the glide before you switch edge. :)