Saint Paul attendance question | Golden Skate

Saint Paul attendance question

Snowstorm7

Rinkside
Hi all, great forum! As a casual FS fan, I absolutely love reading the posts here, I've learned so much from all of you! :agree:

I have a question for those of you who attend Nationals on a regular basis. What has the attendance been like in St. Paul so far as compared to past years? This is the first major figure skating event I've ever been to, so I have nothing to compare it to. I was kind of disappointed the building wasn't more full for the Senior Ladies SP last night, but perhaps it was completely typical....I have no idea! Someone with a lot of experience help me out here, how's Minnesota doing so far in terms of attendance and just the overall event?

Thanks!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
The coverage makes the front page every moning of the local newspaper

haven't seen it on the local TV coverage though.

gsrossano

Final Flight
According to my notes from the last two years, attendance in St. Paul is currently running 30-40% what it was at 2006 Nationals and 2007 Nationals. For example, my notes have attendance at the Men's SP at 10,000 in 2006 and I estimate about 3500 tonight.

Snowstorm7

Rinkside
Man, not the news I wanted to hear, I want this event to come back again some day. :frown: I'm sure everyone involved loves the wonderful Xcel Energy Center complex and the (mostly) cordial people here in Minnesota, but neither of those things is gonna make up for slow ticket sales I'm sure.

They have been advertising it on television for at least a couple of months. Not sure about the newspapers...

I kind of wonder about ticket prices... dont have any idea how much they usually are, or what they were last year in Washington. $105 for the lower level tomorrow and $60 for the upper deck after the ticket and ticketmaster fees. Ya know, to bring a family of 4 or 5, that's a lot of money. But I dont know, maybe those prices are right in line with norm.

Sigh.

Hopefully Saturday and Sunday will be huge.

Last edited:

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
What's the weather like there right now? I know people kept saying how cold it was going to be in St. Paul. Is the weather enough of a factor to keep people away? And with the economy being what it is right now, maybe the ticket prices are keeping people away as well. :frown:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I went to a US nationals in Minnesota in 1991. It was very cold and unpleasant in a number of ways. That's one reason we did not go this year. I bet there are other people who feel the same. Also the ticket price was way too high. The event people called us up and asked why we were not going to Nationals, too. So they really tried to get people to attend who had been to Nationals before.

I'm sorry to say that they really tried... :(

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
I think figure skating world wide is in decline.

Look at GPF in Torino this year. I believe it was held in the same venue of the 2006 Olympics and it looks to me that the attendance was less than half of the capacity. To boot, none of the GP events attracted huge crowd.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
the crowd is almost non-existant. It's sad.

very strange that nobody is there. Last year there were record crowds... they were packed in up to the rafters, and it wasn't that exciting of a competition. the ladies anyway. This year we have a wide open field, so many young stars... could it be the cold and wintery location?

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Last year, you guys had Kimmie Meissner, the Worlds Champ. Kimmie this year looks like a mere shadow of her former self. Traditionally, I believe in the US ladies' event has drawn the crowd, and you don't see any lady skater from US this year making headlines with a big splash.

The location, St. Paul, may not be the best. It would have been better if it were Florida or Las Vegas, so all the winter birds can fly down south and watch the figure skating.

Medusa

Record Breaker
I think figure skating world wide is in decline.

Look at GPF in Torino this year. I believe it was held in the same venue of the 2006 Olympics and it looks to me that the attendance was less than half of the capacity. To boot, none of the GP events attracted huge crowd.

Well, not all over the world. I remember the videos from the Japanese Nationals - the crowd was huge at every competition - from the beginning. The Russian Nationals were well attended as well, as far as I remember.

Cup of Russia and Trophée Eric Bompard looked quite successful too in terms of attendance.

So maybe it's a US-thing. And it will go away...

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Well, not all over the world. I remember the videos from the Japanese Nationals - the crowd was huge at every competition - from the beginning. The Russian Nationals were well attended as well, as far as I remember.

Cup of Russia and Trophée Eric Bompard looked quite successful too in terms of attendance.

So maybe it's a US-thing. And it will go away...

You may be right. It may as well be just North American thing. It is not just in US, but also in Canada. I went to Skate Canada in Quebec city, and the attendance was dismal.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Last year, you guys had Kimmie Meissner, the Worlds Champ. Kimmie this year looks like a mere shadow of her former self. Traditionally, I believe in the US ladies' event has drawn the crowd, and you don't see any lady skater from US this year making headlines with a big splash.

so the crowd wants to know who is goona win? i find that kinda strange, but it makes sense. the stands were packed whenever Michelle skated at nationals, they wanted to see her win another title. Last year whether we want to admit it or not, kimmie was the HUGE favorite going in, and sure enough she won with a pretty good skate. Personally, i would like a mystery about who is gonna win, who will make the world team, and i would be drawn in by caroline's popularity... how well she did on the GP circut.... and her rivalry with mairi, reigning junior champ.

jesslily

Final Flight
Nationals should only be held in east coast or west coast, major cities such as New York, Boston, DC, San Francisco and LA, to get more more skating fans, skaters, and general people in watching the events.

tjs

Rinkside
Nationals should only be held in east coast or west coast, major cities such as New York, Boston, DC, San Francisco and LA, to get more more skating fans, skaters, and general people in watching the events.

You have got to be kidding me... Next years Nationals are in Cleveland, Ohio and the last time it was here we broke the then record for attendance. Since when are those cities considered the ONLY major cities. I for one will again attend the National events when it is in Cleveland. Lets not forget there are many places where skating is a big sport interest and those 5 cities you mention arent the ONLY places.

I think 2006 Nationals in Spokane set a new attendance record. In a smaller city like that, it's a big deal to host a national championship. The whole town got behind it. In a city like New York a skating event is hardly a blip on the entertainment radar.

Cleveland, then Detroit -- I can go to both! :clap:

Maribelle

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Attendance in St. Paul

The ladies and men's short programs were not sold out and there were quite a few seats open. However, on Saturday morning there were 10,000 in attendance to watch the bottom group of ladies in their long program. For the pairs skate and for the free dance and ladies long program, the arena was almost full as you could see on the tv coverage.

So, the cold may have kept people away on Thursday and Friday night for the short programs. Or, the Minneapolis St. Paul area has a lot going on in terms of sports and other attractions so figure skating may not have been the big draw here as it would be other cities.

I know that I was disappointed to see the sparse crowds for the short programs and felt that there should have been more advertising and publicity for this event. I never saw any advertising for the nationals on tv or in the papers. I suppose the USFSA couldn't afford much publicity due to losing their main sponsor, State Farm.

wildone

Rinkside
I know that I was disappointed to see the sparse crowds for the short programs and felt that there should have been more advertising and publicity for this event. I never saw any advertising for the nationals on tv or in the papers. I suppose the USFSA couldn't afford much publicity due to losing their main sponsor, State Farm.

How could you say that there was no advertisement for U.S. Nationals? They've advertised it on practically every Disson show. The Winter Carnival advertising also includes skating and four buttons acknowleding the event.

Local tv advertising also was done. I saw ads for it during the hockey games. The hockey organization invited skaters to perform during a period break.

Its also quoted that the USFSA spent $250 K in advertising. Could have they done more? Sure.

You also have to realize that we are in a tight economy. People are choosy about what and where they spend their money on. And, of course, the weather doesn't help for people in warmer climates.