Thread: Are You Lusting After Lycra?

Hybrid View

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL! Cinderella on Ice's Avatar

Are You Lusting After Lycra?

Sk8r1964's idea to post the answer a question/pose a question thread was such a great one! But some of those questions are just too good to be answered by only one person.

So I hope you guys don't mind, but there were two questions asked there that I'd like to hear the answers from everyone here.

The first is, do you have a particular costume that you would love to wear?

And the second is, what DO you wear to practice in?

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL! Cinderella on Ice's Avatar
    I was the lucky person who got to answer the first question in the other thread. I am LUSTING after this blue "flame dress" by Revellawear. But with the austrian crystals, I'm afraid it's right out of my budget, unless I sell one of my arms (and then it wouldn't look so good!). But when I mentioned I was conflicted about the color, I totally appreciated Sk8r1964's comment that the hottest flames are blue. I might buy the dress and attach my own crystals.

As for practice, I'm sorry to say that I look like I've fallen out of the rag bag. I have about 5 pairs of black stretchy stirrup pants and various black turtleneck long-sleeve, short-sleeve, and short-sleeve stretchy tops that I wear. So I always look like I'm wearing the same thing! On top I start out with a fleece pullover (3 different kinds, all boring colors/patterns) and those come off as soon as I've finished my warm-up and first moves cuz I get hot and sweaty (eww - too much information).

BUT, now that I have lost some weight and am looking more tonied, I'm considering purchasing some stretchy skating practice dresses and/or skirts so that I would look like a "real" skater. Trouble is, I need to go somewhere that caters to adult sizes and I can try some things on, rather than trying to order online at first. So until I have time to take a road trip to the big sports arena/pro shop, it's the Rag Bag Lady look for me!
    Last edited by Cinderella on Ice; 08-04-2003 at 12:09 AM.

Learning to Fly
    I don't know what kind of costumes I like, really. I've thought about it a lot and I guess I generally like simple, elegant styles, not too flashy (sparkly is okay though) or fluffy or really bright colors (at the competition I went to in Spokane one girl - who won the novice division - had a neon coral/pink dress that definitely stood out but was really hard on the eyes!). I'm thinking of begging my grandma to make me a simple practice dress for a Christmas present - probably just a leotard with a skirt, in a solid color. Competition seems so far off (although I DEFINITELY WANT TO!!!!) that I haven't given serious thoughts to costumes and I'm not attatched, really, to wearing a dress during practice but it might be nice.

I usually wear either a pair of black bootcut leggings or black loose "yoga pants." Occasionally I wear a pair of red pants/jeans that are pretty stretchy. I'm conflicted about tops because I'm always too hot or too cold; usually I wear a plain cotton long sleeved shirt w/ a fleece vest and then the vest comes off and the sleeves get pushed up. Sometimes I wear a sweatshirt over a tshirt. Before late fall I need to go on a shopping trip because I'll have an outdoor rink within walking distance this year and I want to take advantage of it, but I have no idea how to dress for it! Lots of layer I guess . I really want some fleece pants that you can zip on and off down the legs.

Tripping on the Podium
    I'm not sure about dresses that I'd like to wear, I usually design my own.

But for practice, I live in yoga clothes from Lululemon. They are extremely comfy for practice because the pants don't ride up your bum like do most skating dresses. And I can wear them to the gym, or out shopping before practice and no one looks at me funny.

~Cassie

Salchows and Shimmies!!!
    I love skating dresses and skate most comfotably in them, so I have a bunch of Capezio and GK practice dresses. It helps having a skate buddy who sells them and can get things wholesale, plus there's a Capezio outlet near the Medical Society of New Jersey where I have a day of meetings at at least every other month. I use double layer of tights, and, of course my skatingsafe (TM) hip, knee and tailbone pads. Osteoporosis runs in my family, so I won't practice stupid. I plan to add wrist guards when coach decides to begin the loop jump.

My coach has lent me a cool CD of a street musician she heard in Florida, Cuban Spanish style music. (If you're familiar with Ottmar Liebert and Luna Negra--they did "Barcelona," its a similar style). I get first dibs on a song there for my upcoming artistic program, so there will be a Spanish style dress in my future. I keep picturing Michelle Kwan's "Romanza" SP dress from 1996 and drooling, although I'm a redhead, so I have to be careful with the color red!!!

I live in yoga pants for my flexibility classes and for bellydance lessons. Very comfy, and they work well with a hip wrap!!

On the Ice
    i'm just going to answer question 2. I usually wear shorts over my tights, comfy pants, or my black skating skirt to practice in.

Custom Title
    Although I love skating dresses I rarely wear them. I just wear stretchy pants and short sleeved tee-shirt when i skate. I have several of the black, stretchy pants that flare at the ankle, which nicely accomodates the extra bulk of my skate boots.

Always Dream
    I used to practice in stretchy pants, but my coach wanted me to practice in a skirt to get a feel for the cold, because I always shivver at competitions. I wear a black skirt and a t-shirt. and sometimes gloves.

Hell's Librarian
    The restaurant at the end of the universe
    I'd like to wear some lycra leggings or a tight knit and a baby t shirt. However, I am not so slim that I can wear any of this, and I think the baby t would look funny stretched across my pregnant belly.

Right now, I prefer to wear yoga pants, a t shirt and a zip front hoodie sweatshirt when I practice.