Just a thought on Johnny | Golden Skate

Just a thought on Johnny

tjs

Rinkside
Johnny skated a great program but was anyone else as shocked at what he was saying in the interview before they skated the free? This has been a problem of his in the past also... I know it should be only about the skating but come on now we all know this is iceskating!!

GoldMedalist

Match Penalty
Exactly what shocked you?

I admire truth, audacity, and a bit of humor over superficiality. Johnny is one of the few skaters that ever says anything meaningful.

ranjake

Final Flight
i didnt like the party about " i respect evan as an athlete, but as a person he is not special". i thought that sucked-big time -and was WAY beneath johnny. first of all-he's said the opposite in the past-that he and evan were getting friendly( the olympic year-while leaving matt savoie out of his comments). if his opinions on evan have changed, whatever- i just thought it was being deliberately provocative, negative, and judgemental. for me personally-i'm speaking for no one else-it's classless and detracts from his amazing talent-i mean it distracts me from his talent- to be watching him- instead of enjoying his singular talent, i'm thinking "what a little punk". i was mad at johnny last night for taking that away from me. and if that's the way he feels-if he's so strong in his opinions-why compliment evan after? why hug him? it bugged me. i LOVE johnny's skating. his skating in the past has made me cry. i don't want to watch some gossip show- johnny weir's skating is enough-and should be the focus...just my opinion.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I, too, didn't like where Johnny's statement started out, but when he went on to explain further, I think the comments were just saying that he and Evan aren't friends on a personal level. Evan's not a special friend to him; Johnny said he wouldn't know Evan if they weren't both senior men skaters. He used the phrase "there aren't any warm fuzzies" or something like that.

Others have commented on the interview done with both of them by the NBC floor commentator, the older woman, but I can't think of her name right now. Gosh, she conducted that interview by actually anticipating if not eliciting a negative-sounding answer from each of them. I've read at least one neg post about both skaters resulting from that interview, but I have to say I think it was the situation and the interviewer's fault. It was set up to try to bring out some fireworks, but I think both E and J did the best they could with it. Ridiculous media hype.

Finally, it was only shown in the closing credits on NBC, but I hope people noticed J and E hugging at the end. From what I saw, the hug clearly looked initiated by Johnny.

I'm a real Johnny fan, so I'm biased not to be too harsh on him, but that's what I saw taking into account the entire evening's broadcast. Oh, and even though I didn't realize there was an MTV reality show with a "Truth Booth," I understood that Johnny was making a joke when he referred to "roommates" who were drinking too much, sleeping around, etc. But I wasn't surprised when several posters thought he was talking about an actual person or persons, instead of his being wry and making a joke.

sillylionlove

Medalist
I appreciate Johnny's honesty. I actually found the interview that Andrea did with both Johnny and Evan to be worse and a great deal uncomfortable. They looked like they didn't want to be near each other. Andrea was a moron too..."evan I know you don't like to talk about the rivalry...but..." give me a break.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I'd like to know who Johnny's 2 roommates are! The one that drinks too much & the one who is sleeping around. Or was it all a joke on Johnny's part? BTW, Andrea Joyce was the interviewer after the '98 Olympics who upset Todd Eldredge so much by asking him how it felt to be off the podium himself & then seeing his training partner (Tara Lipinski) win the gold.

kittyjake5

On the Ice
I appreciate Johnny's honesty. I actually found the interview that Andrea did with both Johnny and Evan to be worse and a great deal uncomfortable. They looked like they didn't want to be near each other. Andrea was a moron too..."evan I know you don't like to talk about the rivalry...but..." give me a break.

I agree. Wasn't that the worst interview. Johnny and Evan were just answering the questions then looking away from Andrea as if to say I can't believe I am sitting through this BS. I found the interview very, very annoying and a cheap shot by the media to spice things up. Little did they know that things would go from spicy to hot on many figure skating boards over the judging that took place in the men's FS.

isk82

On the Ice
Johnny's truth booth comments about the roommates was definitely aimed toward MTV's Real World and other shows like that.

I like his skating - he's a competitor. He's also not main stream. That makes it more difficult for him because he's the "odd man out" so to speak, whereas the whole Evan/Tanith thing is designed to make Evan appear more manly and all American. So Johnny may be coming from the point of knowing Evan is the "popular boy" at school and he's not. It's hard to compete and not have hard feelings toward someone in that situation, but he's doing his best to be an adult about it.

I do like his saying what he thinks and not sugarcoating everything. I liked the clip where he started it by saying "I'm better....." He is better. His body positions are better, his air position and landing positions are better. He is just beautiful to watch. That's not to say Evan can't skate better on any given night, but Johnny is the better overall skater. I hope Johnny continues to train and work hard - he has the potential to be our next GREAT skater.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thanks for reminding me of her name -- Andrea. Yes, absolutely, that interview with both Evan and Johnny at once was DESIGNED to be uncomfortable, or to start something, or whatever. Disgraceful.

I didn't remember her incredible affrontery with Todd. What an insensitive line of questioning!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think that he bad comments in the fluff pieces cost him the title quite frankly. Using a undisrable word that had to be "beeped" out, saying that he did not respect Evan as a person... just not what you want to hear from your next national champion. I would have thought his new coach would have told him not to say anything controversial.

I found it so ironic that he smilingly said that if Evan and he both skated thier best, he would win (johnny). well Evan did not skate his best, Johnny did, and Evan still won.

tjs

Rinkside
"Exactly what shocked you?"

Before reading this is MY OPINION.....

What shocked me was the way he spoke of Evan. OK so you dont like him he isnt your TYPE fine but as teammates who will be competing at Worlds it would be nice and ADULT like if you showed a united front. I dont recall Evan speaking ill of Johnny.
This isnt Johnnys first incident of speaking without thinking of how it will appear.
Oh and yes I understand he doesnt care what people think but there is a place and a time to cut down the competition and that is ON THE ICE. The bad boy image Johnny tries to make himself out to be doesnt fit. His skating is beautiful and strong but he shouldnt open his mouth negatively about his competition.

"Evan/Tanith thing is designed to make Evan appear more manly and all American. "

I truly doubt that Evan and Tanith are dating for the USFSA to make Evan look more manly. Come on they like each other or they wouldnt be trying to make a long distance relationship work!!

GoldMedalist

Match Penalty
What shocked me was the way he spoke of Evan. OK so you dont like him he isnt your TYPE fine but as teammates who will be competing at Worlds it would be nice and ADULT like if you showed a united front.

I really have to wonder about how sheltered someone's life has been if this is the kind of stuff that shocks them.

Figure skating is not a team sport. It's only about what you can do (or you and your partner).

Yagudin and Plushenko openly said they hated each other. Two Olympic Gold Medalists.

I dont recall Evan speaking ill of Johnny.

It's there in his attitude. "At least I went for the Quad and didn't wuss out like some other people", "My skating style is what Male figure skating needs".

I truly doubt that Evan and Tanith are dating for the USFSA to make Evan look more manly. Come on they like each other or they wouldnt be trying to make a long distance relationship work!!

If only you knew about all of the arranged "relationships" in the entertainment biz...

isk82

On the Ice
"Exactly what shocked you?"

Before reading this is MY OPINION.....

What shocked me was the way he spoke of Evan. OK so you dont like him he isnt your TYPE fine but as teammates who will be competing at Worlds it would be nice and ADULT like if you showed a united front. I dont recall Evan speaking ill of Johnny.
This isnt Johnnys first incident of speaking without thinking of how it will appear.
Oh and yes I understand he doesnt care what people think but there is a place and a time to cut down the competition and that is ON THE ICE. The bad boy image Johnny tries to make himself out to be doesnt fit. His skating is beautiful and strong but he shouldnt open his mouth negatively about his competition.

"Evan/Tanith thing is designed to make Evan appear more manly and all American. "

Just to be clear, I'm not saying their relationship is designed for that purpose, but the media and possibly the USFSA chooses to make a big deal out of it to make skating appear to be more manly. It is what it is. If people don't like it, then they shouldn't watch skating.

Ginask8s

On the Ice
Thanks for the reference to MTVs reality show. Johnnys comment which seemed random now makes perfect sense. He actually has a a pretty dry sense of humor. He is my favorite skater and I think he is in a very good place for Worlds. I hope he really prepares and does his very best. What about that quad? Hasn't put it out for a long time and does a nice one. I wonder what Evan thought about that?!! That side by side interview was painful. I actually felt really bad for Evan...

Mafke

Medalist
the media and possibly the USFSA chooses to make a big deal out of it to make skating appear to be more manly. ... If people don't like it, then they shouldn't watch skating.

I agree, and that does seem to be the option that more and more audiences are taking.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
I don't think the coverage of Evan and Tanith has anything to do with making the sport seem manly. FS has always talked about relationships that skaters have, especally when its with a fellow skater. They mention that Melissa and Denis are married practically everytime they take the ice. Much more often than Tanith and Evan's relationship is mentioned.

tjs

Rinkside
I really have to wonder about how sheltered someone's life has been if this is the kind of stuff that shocks them.

Figure skating is not a team sport. It's only about what you can do (or you and your partner).

Yagudin and Plushenko openly said they hated each other. Two Olympic Gold Medalists.

It's there in his attitude. "At least I went for the Quad and didn't wuss out like some other people", "My skating style is what Male figure skating needs".

If only you knew about all of the arranged "relationships" in the entertainment biz...

FIRST OFFI dont think you have any idea about my life or anyone elses on this board. THIS SUBJECT IS ON JOHNNY AND HIS MOUTH... IMO HE SHOULD JUST KEEP IT SHUT AND SKATE . If he needs to talk he should do it with his skating his mouth is offensive to me thats right me and I personally dont like his or your attack on people.

Figure skating is not a team sport but you do arrive at the rink representing the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA at WORLDS so HENCE you are TEAMMATES!!

And are you really all that informed on Evan and Tanith relationship or is that just your opinion?

Hikaru

Final Flight
well, If I may add something, like someone pointed out (and it is just my opinion) both Yagudin and Plushenko ( World and Olympic champions) openly said they didn't like each other, although they repected each other as athletes, and they were representing both a country. It's not a team sport or tag team, it's more like each country having 2 or 3 individuals representing it. If Johnny doesn't like Evan, that's his thing, and if Evan doesn't like Johnny that's his thing too. I think Johnny gave an honest answer (applied to his own view), which to some may seem like a shocker. Do you want him lo lie and say that he respects Evan as an athlete and also likes him as a person? How can he like him as a person if they are not friends? Was he harsh? maybe, but really don't take it so personal... unless you are Evan, that is.

Ginask8s

On the Ice
The Dixie Chicks wrote a song referencing what you said Johnny should do. "Just shut up and skate" I think someone told them in a letter to "Shut up and sing or your life will be over" God forbid someone is politicallly incorrect. I don't think what you just said was very nice or realistic.

taylorfax

On the Ice
I think that he bad comments in the fluff pieces cost him the title quite frankly. Using a undisrable word that had to be "beeped" out, saying that he did not respect Evan as a person... just not what you want to hear from your next national champion. I would have thought his new coach would have told him not to say anything controversial.

I found it so ironic that he smilingly said that if Evan and he both skated thier best, he would win (johnny). well Evan did not skate his best, Johnny did, and Evan still won.
If you take anything on that fluff piece seriously you need a wakeup call. I was in stitches when I saw it. :laugh: It was so ridiculously funny and melodramatic. I mean, come on - Evan saying "This is WAR!" And Johnny basically told everyone not to take everything he says so seriously. It was like some parody. lol

And I think he said he 'should' win, not that he would? (On which I happen to agree, but that's beside the point.) And Johnny didn't skate his best.