Greatest Contribution To The Sport | Golden Skate

Greatest Contribution To The Sport

Who has made the greatest contribution to the sport of figure skating?

• DICK BUTTON (2 Olympic golds, many other accolades)

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • Sonja Henie (3 Olympic golds, films, popularized the sport)

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • Irina Rodnina (3 Olympic golds)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Protopopovs (founders of modern pairs figure skating)

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Torvill & Dean (revolutionized Ice Dance)

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Tamara Moskvina (great coach of many Olympic & World Champions)

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Peggy Fleming (revitalized American figure skating after the tragic plane crash wiped out entire U.S

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 9 14.5%

• Total voters

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
What person has made the greatest contribution to the sport of figure skating?

My own vote has to go to Dick Button, although all of the others listed above have made enormous contributions to the sport, as have many others.

Last edited:
I believe the popularity of the Sport came with Sonia, and her contributions to keeping the artistic part of the sport alive by instituting the Ice Shows. All this and the interest created by her three gold OLY medals which imo, will never be repeated. (Btw, she was not my favorite. But, just giving her due.)

Dick, of course, put men's figure skating on the boards!

And yes, all the others mentioned. One more very important skater: JOHN CURRY, who gave freedom of movement to men's figure skating.

I am really curious as to what was going on in the Soviet Union at this time. Anyone know?

Joe

Pookie

Final Flight
What a great poll. My goodness, there are so many great choices, I can't choose one. They each made such great and significant contributions to the sport. Was there ice dance before Torvill and Dean? To me, not really. Dick Button is still contributing as are several of them.

To me, Sonja Henie has no rival for this honor. As a person, she had her flaws as we all do, but her impact on the sport was beyond measure.

Mathman

lil_icesk8er915

On the Ice
I voted for Sonja. Because if it wasn't for her, skating probably wouldn't be that popular. She went into films (which introduced more people to Figure Skating), did ice shows (now we have COI and SOI and a lot more!), and even more! And since the public likes it, now people make skating movies, people write skating books, people have skaters in their advertisements, show skating competitions and shows on TV, and a number of other things! Thanks Sonja!

windspirit

On the Ice
I voted for Sonja Henie, too. My two other choices would be Dick Button, and Torvill & Dean (who got me interested in FS).

NanSinger2

On the Ice
Although I agree with the SH comments. For me, T&D impacted how I felt about skating a great deal. They were so incredible to watch. I wish I could have watched SH in competition. It must have been amazing.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What about Dororthy Hamel??

Dee

kayskate

Rinkside
I vote for Lussi. He revolutionized skating by developing the crossed leg jump position allowing triples and eventually quads.

Kay

Last edited:

Lee

Rinkside
To me, John Curry and Toller Cranston made the greatest contribution to the sport in that they broke the mold of men skating with poles up their butts. Curry and Cranston created real 'artistry' in men's skating and opened the door for the likes of Kurt Browning and all the other guys who have been able to so ably create characters and moods on the ice.

Thanks, gentlemen...we wouldn't have had Yags and "Winter" in the past couple years if it hadn't been for you two.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I voted for Chris and Jayne

but Scott Hamilton revolutionized the way they do professional figure skating... it's not just dummied down programs and ice capades anymore... it's pushing the artistic envelope...

lulu

Final Flight
I couldn't pick just one!

Skaters who made the greatest contributions to the sport

Protopopovs: Created the "classical Russian style" that is most obvious in skaters like Gordeeva and Grinkov. Began the modern (and Russian) pairs skating tradition.

Rodnina: Dethroned the Protopopovs, intrduced speed and difficult lifts to pairs skating.

Dmitriev: Changed the way a lot of people view pairs skating, and the male partner. M&D (IMO) is the most influential team since Rodnina and Zaitsev.

C/Sharakai: Introduced the "gorilla and flea" aspect of pairs skating.

Torvill and Dean: Introduced N. Americans to ice dance. Stretched the bounds creatively.

The First Olympic Medalists(I forgot their names): Combined Soviet Ballet and Western Ballroom dancing, to help create modern ice dancing.

Gritshuk and Platov: Added speed and difficult edges to ice dance. I think they have had an Enormous impact on ice dancing.

Dick Button: The Father of modern men's skating.

John Curry: Introduced Ballet to figure skating.

Toller Cranston: Unusual artistry.

(In the US) Peggy Fleming: Started the media fixation with female skating stars.

Midori Ito: Broke the technical bounds for female skaters.

Coaches:
Moskvina: very successful, introduced new choreography to pairs skating.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I went with the Protopopovs..........they brought great beauty and artistic line to the sport. Their connection to each other made the phrase "two shall skate as one" mean something. The only other pair team that skated this way were Katia and Sergei....42

lulu

Final Flight
Gorilla-Flea

That's what the commentators used to refer to couples with BIG strong men and tiny ladies. At first it was controversial, some people said Marina C. looked more like a pre-schooler. Now, basically every couple has a substantial height/weight difference between them.