Greatest Contribution To The Sport | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Greatest Contribution To The Sport

Who has made the greatest contribution to the sport of figure skating?

• DICK BUTTON (2 Olympic golds, many other accolades)

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • Sonja Henie (3 Olympic golds, films, popularized the sport)

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • Irina Rodnina (3 Olympic golds)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Protopopovs (founders of modern pairs figure skating)

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Torvill & Dean (revolutionized Ice Dance)

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Tamara Moskvina (great coach of many Olympic & World Champions)

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Peggy Fleming (revitalized American figure skating after the tragic plane crash wiped out entire U.S

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 9 14.5%

• Total voters

amykaren

On the Ice
I voted for Dick Button because it came to mind immediatly. But Sonja Henie is right up there too. If we could break it down, Torvil and Dean are tops for ice dance-no question.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
"I am really curious as to what was going on in the Soviet Union at this time. Anyone know?"

Which period? The same time as John Curry?

The 70s were very good to the soviets.

Worlds results:
71 bronze
72 silver & bronze
73 silver
74 silver
75 gold & silver
76 silver
77 gold
79 gold

Olys results:
72 silver & 8th
76 silver, 5th & 8th

They all seem to have been well trained jumpers, if a little stodgy or dull.

Vladimir Kovalev was the most sucessful, but inconsistant. At 77 worlds, soviet officials screamed at him openly in public for his poor performance. After falling in the SP at 80 Olys, they withdrew him in a huff and sent him home never to compete again. Tough love!

lulu

Final Flight
After falling in the SP at 80 Olys, they withdrew him in a huff and sent him home never to compete again. Tough love!

ouch!

Do you know what happened to him?

E

Eva-Elena

First of all, I did NOT vote for Dick Button, no mather how much he has accomplished, his commenting has ruined it all for me :\

Since I've been following fs only for 1½ years now, I can't really say anything about Greatest contributuions. So I voted for other => Mishin, bbecause he's my favorite coach. :D

About this poll btw, I think that you'll get totally different answers from NA and European fans. It's not really comparable.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
berthes ghost said:
[BVladimir Kovalev was the most sucessful, but inconsistant. At 77 worlds, soviet officials screamed at him openly in public for his poor performance. After falling in the SP at 80 Olys, they withdrew him in a huff and sent him home never to compete again. Tough love! [/B]

Records indicate he was World Champion in both '77 and '79. Also, could this be the same fellow? If so, he's lead an interesting life.

http://digitallanguage.com/personnel/vlad/

S

skateballet

Eva-Elana, I feel the same way! I've grown up watching good ol' Dick commentating on skating and he JINKS everything! It's so hard to watch skating on TV with him always there.

I voted for "other." Scott Hamilton, as mentioned above. A fantastic jumper but even more of an artist. Amazing footwork, showmanship and dedication. He's had health problems from childhood and then cancer but I really admire him for giving his all to the sport. Dorothy Hamill for her grace, dignity and artistry, as well as work with Ice Capades. Few compare to either of these skaters in my book.

Oh hey, my pizza is here. Gotta go!