Which rinks do you think are the best in the country for competitive skaters? | Golden Skate

Which rinks do you think are the best in the country for competitive skaters?

Emma7639

Rinkside
Which rinks do you think are the best in the country for competitive skaters?

Just wondering. I know Caroline skates at East West, Kimmie obviously skates at UDel, but what do you think, from personal experience or from reading articles or something are the best rinks to train at? In terms of available freestyle sessions, off ice programs, coaches and quality of the rink?

I'm asking because my father put the idea in my head of after graduating next, taking a year off and pursuing figure skating seriously(not like.. Olympic seriously.. but only focus on skating, because I've been sick with lyme disease for the past 2 years and my whole skating life, and it's frustrating) and I might take him up on that offer. So I'm just looking around for information but it's hard to tell unless you go there. I figured maybe you guys might have some information for me?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
you are so lucky that your parents want you to focus on skating. I hope you make the right choice and have a great year. The Toyota Sports Center is a great place to train. you will be in good company (evan, bebe, danillele,) and you are so close to beaches, LA, etc. I have never been, but understand Lake Placid is a nice place and Simsbury connecticut is a magnet for international skaters.

dewey

Rinkside
There are also major training centers at Lake Arrowhead, Colorado Springs (Broadmoor), Bloomfield Hills (Michigan), Hackensack (New Jersey) and Boston.

Also, Udel has a Figure Skating Science (or something like that) major that is about the business of figure skating. You might be interested if you want to stay involved in skating as a career, but not necessarily as a performer.

Last edited:

diashsk8

Rinkside
If your in Detroit Meto Area of Michigan, how about the Arctic Edge in Canton? Or Detroit Skating Club? Both have high level coaches and skaters. Both have off ice facilities on site...

skatergirl45

On the Ice
If I were you I would go to a central location where you can skate at mnay great rinks. The LA area is one that comes to mind. Also, Hackensack NJ and UnD are far but not too far away from each other.

Finally, I hope that you recover coundly form your Lyme disease!

pista04

On the Ice
If you opt to head over here in Michigan, don't be scared of the whole "Its close to Detroit," factor: West Bloomfield is like an entirely different place. =] Hope you find the right place!

If you come to Michigan, don't be put off by what people say about the folks in Bloomfield Hills, Grosse Pointe, etc. Here in Detroit, we're not like that at all! :)

pipsqueak

Rinkside
Pick a lifestyle

Pick a lifestyle, not just a rink. You might have another life off the ice, too :) Do you want to be close to beaches, colleges, lakes, mountains, cool or warm weather? Do you want one rink or many available in the area? Are you a small town person or a city person? Will you drive, use public transport, or walk to the rink? Do you have to have shopping and entertainment near, or would you go home and curl up with a book and the TV remote? Do you dine out or prefer to prepare all your own food?

Figure these types of things out and then look for a place to fit you.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
If you come out to Boston, don't let what people...oh, who am I kidding, people really are like that, especially the drivers. But there's the Skating Club of Boston here, plus plenty of colleges and universities, too.

passion

On the Ice
You have super supportive parents! You are so fortunate!

Remember that what's "best" in terms of training centre is really individual. For example, 8 rinks in Burnaby is considered the "best" training centre in BC, but is it "best" for you? It depends on your needs and goals and what kind of environment that is most nourishing for you.

princess-ice

Rinkside
The Toyota Sports Center is a great place to train. you will be in good company (evan, bebe, danillele,) and you are so close to beaches, LA, etc.

ITA! That's my favorite men's singles skater: Evan Lycacek. And, let's not forget the strong coaching staff - Frank Carroll, Christa Fassi, Ken Congemi, Linda Fratiani, Russ Walentin, etc.

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
The rink in Newington, CT is wonderful. They are very welcoming to any and ALL skaters, and the coaching staff is wonderful and willing to work with skaters of any age and ability. They have lots and lots of ice time, lots of on and off ice classes, ballet room, weight room, etc. They also have this great deal where for $400 a month, you have unlimited ice time, and can attend an unlimited number of on and off ice classes.

OHgal

Rinkside
Not only is the Ice House in Hackensack a great place to train, but it is very close to the Ice Vault in Wayne, NJ, home to Johnny Weir, Viktor Petrenko, Galina Can'tSpellHerLastName and now Stephane Lambiel. IMO, the Ice Vault is a fabulous rink, and the cafeteria there is awesome.:rock:

Binthere

On the Ice
Lots of great choices, but completely agree with the post that made sure you kept in mind your life outside the rink. Would be hard to go wrong at most of the places mentioned. All the best!

silverstars

Spectator
Lake Placid, New York is the big training center near me. Because the Olympics were there twice, they have three rinks as well as a huge ski center, so during the winter, it's an amazing place to be--just full of athletes who all share the same interests as you. The town and surrounding area are absolutely beautiful.

I've also skated in Simsbury, CT, where Sasha Cohen and (I think) Johnny Weir used to skate. And, of course, there's UDel, which has a very college-y atmosphere (I don't know if you'd want that in your gap year or not).

sk8indel

On the Ice
If you go to University of Delaware you can also go skate at The Skating CLub of Wilmington which is the 2nd most friendly rink in the country, has great coaches (Ashley Wagner takes their) and a ton of ice time