What's with Morosov and curly hair? | Golden Skate

What's with Morosov and curly hair?

penguin girl

Rinkside
I noticed that Morosov uncurled both Adam Rippon's hair, and Parker Pennington. It worked for Adam, not so well for Pennington. Is Morosov trying to turn all of his students into mysterious, uncurly, dramatic skaters who refuse to connect with the audience? Don't get me wrong--I LOVED Adam and thought it was best for him, but is this all that Morosov does, or does he do anything fun?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nope, he just wants his students to look like all the Russian men: blah blondy pups (as they're referred to on another board).

After you've seen Voronov, Uspensky and Lutai you are taken aback by how much they all look alike. And the Russian Junior men look exactly the same way.

After the skate, I saw Adam back with his curly hair. It is a Morozov thing and I think it works in Adam's favor.

I can't believe Adam doesn't have a solid 3A and to reach over 200 in the CoP!
Although he didn't need that jump. He was so far ahead after the SP.

Joe

penguin girl

Rinkside
After the skate, I saw Adam back with his curly hair. It is a Morozov thing and I think it works in Adam's favor.

Joe

It certainly does work for Adam. I'm just a little worried that Morosov is turning him into an apparently Russian skater with no other dimension. He could do anything.
Adam didn't need a 3A. His programs were so perfect in every other way. I never even saw him make a mistake in practice--except on attempted 3A.

efreedman

On the Ice
Adam Rippon's 3 Axel

Joe

Joe, I was talking to Adam and he indicated that he does have a fairly consistent 3 Axel, but there was not time to work it into the the choreography of his programs. Maybe it will appear at Junior Worlds.

discoduck

On the Ice
Morosov is coaching Parker?? I saw his short and I don't remember seeing him in the K and C. How did I miss that?

penguin girl

Rinkside
Morosov is coaching Parker?? I saw his short and I don't remember seeing him in the K and C. How did I miss that?

Morosov was listed as one of Parker's choreographers. Boy he didn't do well this year. I thought it would be an up year for him.

Joe, I was talking to Adam and he indicated that he does have a fairly consistent 3 Axel, but there was not time to work it into the the choreography of his programs. Maybe it will appear at Junior Worlds.
Glad to hear that. This Adam is the future of US Men's Skating.
I am not a Morozov addict but I have to admit, he did an excellent job in polishing Adam. I think Parker just had a bad hair day. He should have straightened his curls.;)

Joe

penguin girl

Rinkside
Glad to hear that. This Adam is the future of US Men's Skating.
I am not a Morozov addict but I have to admit, he did an excellent job in polishing Adam. I think Parker just had a bad hair day. He should have straightened his curls.;)

Joe

I saw Parker in the warm-up group with curls in the morning, and then straight hair for his afternoon free skate. Boy I really do love his expression and footwork, but it's always seemed to me that he doesn't own it. He seems to play it different every year. Adam, however, seemed completely genuine.

emma

Record Breaker
I didn't know where to put this so here it is -- I just saw Adam's LP to Moonlight Sonata and well, IT"S FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!! He's a joy to watch.

lmarie086

Medalist
^totally agree emma! he is a talented guy. cannot wait to see him next year. I almost wish he would keep the SP for next season with, of course, the different jumps for the senior level, I just love it!

SP
HTML:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Bb_3HEIXW34&feature=related

LP
HTML:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xc9p19LMiQ0

do enjoy!

emma

Record Breaker
Thanks IMarie086 for these links.

I watched the SP too - and of course it was fantastic. I totally 'get' why Joe calls him a Weir clone (or something like that) - his line, posture, jumps (so lovely with great flow out) are very reminiscient (sp?) -- yet each is his own skater and while I see similarities, Adam seems somewhat more dramatic and pheraps extroverted in a way (although that isn't quite the word i'm searching for); Adam also seems at ease to me (not that Johnny isn't or doesn't....i'm just getting a slightly different vibe from the two of them that I can't quite articulate....so I'll stop trying!!!).

Anyway, great to have so many wonderful skaters to admire, and selfishly - oh so selfishly - it's great to have so many developing this lyrical fluid style that I sooooo love.