Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Music that Screams No, DON"T USE ME

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar

Music that Screams No, DON"T USE ME

In homage to Tonichelle's great thread, I thought another thread where we could vent about music used that should NEVER be used was in order. (not that is overused, like Carmen. Carmen is fine to skate to and in a few centuries or so I may be ready to see a new interpretation of Carmen.)

My top for this dishonor would be the Mummy, since everyone that I have seen skate to it produces a horrible program.
    (Angela, Takeshi for example)

In second place is Slaughter on 10th Avenue, which has also been a loser for many good skaters, most memorably for me Hough and Ladret '88.

What music that someone has used, should never have been used by anyone?

Doris

SkateFan4Life
    Great thread, Doris!!

As far as I'm concerned, I would be very happy to NEVER again see a skater perform competitively to "Malengua" (sp) and
    "Carmen". Both are wonderful pieces of music, but they have been skated to and skated to, ad naseum.

As far as other "music to not skate to is concerned, I would add -
    any rap, heavy metal, or music that is TOO LOUD. The last time I attended a Champions on Ice performance I had dearly wished that I had brought along a set of ear plugs. My ears were ringing for hours after we left the arena.

Are we talking about competitions, show numbers, or both? As for competitions.......out is any music that is played faster than a skater could possibly skate (The "Flight of the Bumblebee" comes to mind :D )......can't stand rap music, heavy metal, or country music for any skating program, whether it be for eligible competitions or exhibitions....42

Custom Title
    In addition to those mentioned above, I would like to see a ban placed on Carmen, Don Quixote, and Malaguena in skating competitions at the senior level. Skaters have plenty of choices of fine skating music and I would like them to stay away from the 'tried and trusted' music selections that have been overused.

Vash

Eville Eastern Bloc Poster
    Almost anything by the early Pink Floyd, Sex Pistols and Nirvana wouldn't be a great idea as well ... And I love these bands! :(

Anke
    Last edited by Germanice; 08-06-2003 at 01:17 AM.

Except for the cut and performance by Galindo, I could do without Swan Lake.

We've had a deluge of summer topics over the years of the: "Best Carmen"; "Best Malaguena"; "Best Don Quixote". Swan Lake is going to join those illustrious topics next summer, and why not? It's really a harmless topic.

Joe

For a young skater, I think rap would be cool. Clean rap, I mean, if that's not an oxymoron. IIRC Sima and Amir Ganaba used some Will Smith in the U.S. Juniors a couple of seasons ago, and the audience loved it.

http://swpskating.com/simaganaba.html

Mathman

Rogue Leader
    I totally agreew tih any music that skaters can't keep up with. There have been some doozies in that category. I just can't remember specific examples right now.

Minority member
    Originally posted by Mathman
    For a young skater, I think rap would be cool. Clean rap, I mean, if that's not an oxymoron. IIRC Sima and Amir Ganaba used some Will Smith in the U.S. Juniors a couple of seasons ago, and the audience loved it.

http://swpskating.com/simaganaba.html

Mathman
    I'm feelin homeboy's idea.:D

Back to topic.

'Carmen' it seems like every skater used that piece of music.
    'Swan lake' " "
    Torandot. As much as I like the music, it's been used to death and the way S&Z skated it to it, it shouldn't be used again like Bolero.
    Carmina Burana

Rogue Leader
    Excidra, can I ask why you don't like Carmina Burana? I love that piece of music, and I can only think of two programs skated to it.

I'm also curious about Carmina Burana. I thought Paul Wylie had a wonderful program to this music. Did A&P also dance to it? It's very explosive, powerful music.

BTW, When I was vacationing in Italy, we rounded a corner in Florence and walked into a taping of an outdoor concert. What a great surprise!! The orchestra was performing Carmina Burana & I recognized it from having seen Wylie's skate.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I could have done without ever seeing anyone skate to Dr. Diesel.
    Klimkin did, and it's the first program of his I haven't liked.
    Just way too crash/bangy .
    dpp

Custom Title
    Heyang,

Yes, A&P skated to Carmina Burana in 2000 worlds. Paul Wylie's pro skate to it was wonderful. Also Todd Eldredge skated a short program to this music.

Vash

Fan for Life
    Originally posted by Joesitz
    Except for the cut and performance by Galindo, I could do without Swan Lake.

We've had a deluge of summer topics over the years of the: "Best Carmen"; "Best Malaguena"; "Best Don Quixote". Swan Lake is going to join those illustrious topics next summer, and why not? It's really a harmless topic.

Joe
    Joesitz,

I am so OVER Don Quixote, but what was the best one in your opinion? Also, who's Carmen did you like?

On the Ice
    Generic techno thriller movie theme music that men tend to use.
    Generic instrumental muzak that women tend to use.

Both are totally uninteresting to me, no matter how many quads and triples are performed. I'd rather see a bazillionth rendition of Carmen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast