Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Music that Screams No, DON"T USE ME

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
    I must agree with toutesgrace. If the choice is Carmen or West Side Story vs. muzak Carpenters, for the love of God, go with Carmen. A bad program to bad music just seems ever so much worse. A bad program to Carmen is just a bad program to Carmen; it probably didn't put me to sleep.

Laura

"March with Me" - I know lots of people love this program of B/K's, but every time I had the misfortune of seeing that program I would cringe. Not because of the choreography, but because the music just was so WRONG for skating! I don't think anyone could make a good figure skating/ice dance program to that.

Also, Jenny Kirk's exhibition program at Skate America last year was really weird. It had lyrics that told a story and really stood out from the music, so you had to listen to them (always a bad sign, to me, as it overshadows the skating), and the theme was "I tried, I did my best, but it wasn't good enough, I faltered, I failed, etc" It was especially uncomfortable, since Jenny had been 2nd after the short, and had a terrible free skate and ended up off the podium. But even if she had won the event, I would find it a bizarre choice for an exhibition number.

guinevere

Custom Title
    First of all I loathe programs with too many cuts, like Plushenko's free in 2001.

To "Carmen", "Malaguena" and "Swan Lake" I would like to add Albinioni's Adagio for a couple of years. It's a wonderful piece of music, but it has been used by just too many skaters last season.

Lisa, I also hate music with a ton of cuts, but mor than that, I hate really lousy music editing, and sound quality in general. Plush has been guilty of that more than once, I believe. The most glaring example that I recall is Maria Butyrskaya's 1997-1999 program. The sound was really tinny, and then it would get real loud and full for a bit, then super tinny again. It sounded like it had been recorded with an old tape recorder, propped up to the speaker of a record player! It was one thing to have this problem during the Olympic year, but I couldn't believe when she chose to use that program again the next year that they didn't go rerecord the music!!

guinevere

Didn't Surya do a program once with "March With Me"? If it's the same song, I totally agree. I don't remember B&K"s but Surya's was enough with that annoying music.

Custom Title
    I think there's a difference between music that's just plain overused (as annoying as it may be to hear Malaguena, Carmen, Swan Lake, etc. over and over again, you've got to admit it is catchy music!) and music that just should not be skated to anytime by anyone! Songs I would put in the second category would be:

"Who Let The Dogs Out"
    "I'm Too Sexy"
    "March With Me" (although I did like B&K's program to this music, I liked it even better after using the mute button!)
    anything by Britney Spears, Jennifer Lopez or any boy bands
    90% of all rap or hip-hop music (see Tara's hip-hop special for a perfect reason why!)
    "Touch My Bum, This Is Life" (or whatever that other annoying song is called!)

The sad part is, with a couple of exceptions, skaters have used most of these songs in the past!

Originally posted by Pookie
    Didn't Surya do a program once with "March With Me"?
    I believe that Surya did use "March With Me" as well - but I don't think I ever saw her program. I definitely saw B/K's several times the season they used it. Sigh.

guinevere

Thumbs down

I hate it when Michael Weiss splices together a series of snippets from someone's "Greatest Hits" (i.e. the Stones, The Doors etc). It always looks like he's skating to a K-Tel records commercial. Along similar lines, my all time least favorite routine is Rudy Galindo's Village People Medley. I hate late 70s disco.

I have to go along with Guinevere and Pookie. "March with me" is just loud high-pitched screaming, to me.

Mathman

Custom Title

Thumbs down

No rap music.
    No heavy meatal, even if they are ballads (L&T what were you thinking?)
    Nothing thunderous. I do not want to feel like I walked into a Metallica concert.

OTOH, nothing that would put me to sleep (Yanni, anyone?)
    No screechers like Michael Bolton.
    And definitely no catterwallers like Mariah Carey.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2