Music that Screams No, DON"T USE ME | Golden Skate

Music that Screams No, DON"T USE ME

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
In homage to Tonichelle's great thread, I thought another thread where we could vent about music used that should NEVER be used was in order. (not that is overused, like Carmen. Carmen is fine to skate to and in a few centuries or so I may be ready to see a new interpretation of Carmen.)

My top for this dishonor would be the Mummy, since everyone that I have seen skate to it produces a horrible program.
(Angela, Takeshi for example)

In second place is Slaughter on 10th Avenue, which has also been a loser for many good skaters, most memorably for me Hough and Ladret '88.

What music that someone has used, should never have been used by anyone?

Doris

S

SkateFan4Life

Great thread, Doris!!

As far as I'm concerned, I would be very happy to NEVER again see a skater perform competitively to "Malengua" (sp) and
"Carmen". Both are wonderful pieces of music, but they have been skated to and skated to, ad naseum.

As far as other "music to not skate to is concerned, I would add -
any rap, heavy metal, or music that is TOO LOUD. The last time I attended a Champions on Ice performance I had dearly wished that I had brought along a set of ear plugs. My ears were ringing for hours after we left the arena.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Are we talking about competitions, show numbers, or both? As for competitions.......out is any music that is played faster than a skater could possibly skate (The "Flight of the Bumblebee" comes to mind :D )......can't stand rap music, heavy metal, or country music for any skating program, whether it be for eligible competitions or exhibitions....42

Vash01

Medalist
In addition to those mentioned above, I would like to see a ban placed on Carmen, Don Quixote, and Malaguena in skating competitions at the senior level. Skaters have plenty of choices of fine skating music and I would like them to stay away from the 'tried and trusted' music selections that have been overused.

Vash

Germanice

On the Ice
Almost anything by the early Pink Floyd, Sex Pistols and Nirvana wouldn't be a great idea as well ... ;) And I love these bands! :(

Anke

Last edited:
Except for the cut and performance by Galindo, I could do without Swan Lake.

We've had a deluge of summer topics over the years of the: "Best Carmen"; "Best Malaguena"; "Best Don Quixote". Swan Lake is going to join those illustrious topics next summer, and why not? It's really a harmless topic.:rolleye:

Joe

Antilles

Medalist
I totally agreew tih any music that skaters can't keep up with. There have been some doozies in that category. I just can't remember specific examples right now.

Excidra2001

On the Ice
Mathman said:
For a young skater, I think rap would be cool. Clean rap, I mean, if that's not an oxymoron. IIRC Sima and Amir Ganaba used some Will Smith in the U.S. Juniors a couple of seasons ago, and the audience loved it.

http://swpskating.com/simaganaba.html

Mathman

I'm feelin homeboy's idea.:D

Back to topic.

'Carmen' it seems like every skater used that piece of music.
'Swan lake' " "
Torandot. As much as I like the music, it's been used to death and the way S&Z skated it to it, it shouldn't be used again like Bolero.
Carmina Burana

Antilles

Medalist
Excidra, can I ask why you don't like Carmina Burana? I love that piece of music, and I can only think of two programs skated to it.

heyang

Record Breaker
I'm also curious about Carmina Burana. I thought Paul Wylie had a wonderful program to this music. Did A&P also dance to it? It's very explosive, powerful music.

BTW, When I was vacationing in Italy, we rounded a corner in Florence and walked into a taping of an outdoor concert. What a great surprise!! The orchestra was performing Carmina Burana & I recognized it from having seen Wylie's skate.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I could have done without ever seeing anyone skate to Dr. Diesel.
Klimkin did, and it's the first program of his I haven't liked.
Just way too crash/bangy .
dpp

Vash01

Medalist
Heyang,

Yes, A&P skated to Carmina Burana in 2000 worlds. Paul Wylie's pro skate to it was wonderful. Also Todd Eldredge skated a short program to this music.

Vash

NanSinger2

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Except for the cut and performance by Galindo, I could do without Swan Lake.

We've had a deluge of summer topics over the years of the: "Best Carmen"; "Best Malaguena"; "Best Don Quixote". Swan Lake is going to join those illustrious topics next summer, and why not? It's really a harmless topic.:rolleye:

Joe

Joesitz,

I am so OVER Don Quixote, but what was the best one in your opinion? Also, who's Carmen did you like?

toutestgrace

Rinkside
Generic techno thriller movie theme music that men tend to use.
Generic instrumental muzak that women tend to use.

Both are totally uninteresting to me, no matter how many quads and triples are performed. I'd rather see a bazillionth rendition of Carmen.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
I must agree with toutesgrace. If the choice is Carmen or West Side Story vs. muzak Carpenters, for the love of God, go with Carmen. A bad program to bad music just seems ever so much worse. A bad program to Carmen is just a bad program to Carmen; it probably didn't put me to sleep.

Laura :)

guinevere

Final Flight
"March with Me" - I know lots of people love this program of B/K's, but every time I had the misfortune of seeing that program I would cringe. Not because of the choreography, but because the music just was so WRONG for skating! I don't think anyone could make a good figure skating/ice dance program to that.

Also, Jenny Kirk's exhibition program at Skate America last year was really weird. It had lyrics that told a story and really stood out from the music, so you had to listen to them (always a bad sign, to me, as it overshadows the skating), and the theme was "I tried, I did my best, but it wasn't good enough, I faltered, I failed, etc" It was especially uncomfortable, since Jenny had been 2nd after the short, and had a terrible free skate and ended up off the podium. But even if she had won the event, I would find it a bizarre choice for an exhibition number.

guinevere

Lisa

On the Ice
First of all I loathe programs with too many cuts, like Plushenko's free in 2001.

To "Carmen", "Malaguena" and "Swan Lake" I would like to add Albinioni's Adagio for a couple of years. It's a wonderful piece of music, but it has been used by just too many skaters last season.

guinevere

Final Flight
Lisa, I also hate music with a ton of cuts, but mor than that, I hate really lousy music editing, and sound quality in general. Plush has been guilty of that more than once, I believe. The most glaring example that I recall is Maria Butyrskaya's 1997-1999 program. The sound was really tinny, and then it would get real loud and full for a bit, then super tinny again. It sounded like it had been recorded with an old tape recorder, propped up to the speaker of a record player! It was one thing to have this problem during the Olympic year, but I couldn't believe when she chose to use that program again the next year that they didn't go rerecord the music!!

guinevere

Pookie

Final Flight
Didn't Surya do a program once with "March With Me"? If it's the same song, I totally agree. I don't remember B&K"s but Surya's was enough with that annoying music.