Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who's Who in the Figure Skating Fashion World?

Medalist

Who's Who in the Figure Skating Fashion World?

Hello,

I am a huge fan of figure skating. I am not that suave on techique, but I surely am a fan of skating attire. Who are your picks for the best dressed skaters? Who are some of the top designers?

Michelle Kwan--SP The Feeling Begins
    Maria B- all of her designs

Who lacks stye?

Weiss-All bland and predictable

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    It's very hard to get info on designers unless one is in the skating world. For a fan, the best one gets is when Peggy casually mentions her friends.

AFAIK, the big 3 are:

1. Jeff Billings: nominated for Emmies, he designs all the costumes for SOI. Skaters include Lulu, Angela, MK & Sarah.

2. Lauren Sheean: She was big in the 80s & 90s, maybe a bit "over" by now. Skaters include Kristi, Jill, Surya, Scott D, Nicole, & Debi.

3. Vera Wang: Only designed for Nancy and MK, and Peggy as a pro, but gets lots of press.

I won't get into who's well dressed and who's not, as it's all subjective. I mean, somebody must think Ice Dancers are stylish or they wouldn't keep wearing those hideous attrocities.

Berthes Ghost - Your take on ice dancers is a hoot. I have to agree with you.

My suggestion for good skating attire: any style the designer would like, but nothing too close to the knees for the ladies. IMO, the shorter the skirt the more the skater show's off her balletic line and posture. Sequins, rhinestones, beads, etc., to attract the audience and not distract the skating.

Men's costumes - as simple as possible. This is a sport. Save the glitz for the exhibition.

Joe

Always Dream
    Sasha's 2003 LP! I loved that dress!

Custom Title

Cool!

Cool topic! Here are mine:

Shizuka Arakawa--Swan Lake SP

Michelle Kwan-2002-2003 Short (I agree April, that dress was was great!), "Fields of Gold" and "Fallin"

Sasha Cohen--2001-2002 Short, 2002-2003 Short and Long at Nationals (I agree aly*cutie, that dress was beautiful!), "Hernando's Hideaway"

Ann Patrice McDonough--2001-2002 Short and Long, 2002-2003 Short and Long

Nicole Bobek Costumes

Tara Lipinski--1997-1998 Long

Surya Bonaly Costumes

Rogue Leader
    My personal fave costumes are Marina Anissina in her Romeo and Juliet dress, The first pink dress that Megan Wing wore this year in her FD, Alexei's MITIM (2002) LP costume. Michelle's FOG dress.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head. That being said, costumes are subjective, and it doesn't really matter what a skater wears. So long as the outfit isn't so distracting you only see it, and not the skater, and so long as it doesn't become dangerous to the skaters, they can wear whatever they want.

Sasha's dress

Aly, did you know that Sasha designed that lovely dress?

Custom Title
    Jennifer Robinson always looks so elegant.

I've always wondered, why ice dancers get away with those long, ragged skirts that hide the line of their bodies. You would think, the judges would mark down for that. That is- if the judges are actually watching.

Fan for Life

Re: Cool!

Originally posted by lil_icesk8er915
    Cool topic! Here are mine:

Shizuka Arakawa--Swan Lake SP

Michelle Kwan-2002-2003 Short (I agree April, that dress was was great!), "Fields of Gold" and "Fallin"

Sasha Cohen--2001-2002 Short, 2002-2003 Short and Long at Nationals (I agree aly*cutie, that dress was beautiful!), "Hernando's Hideaway"

Ann Patrice McDonough--2001-2002 Short and Long, 2002-2003 Short and Long

Nicole Bobek Costumes
    ITA with these. I don't like Irina's costumes or Sarah's for the most part.

best dressed

I loved both Michelle's dresses from the 01-02 season (Shez and Rcah) and her LP dress from this year (Blue Aranjuez dress). AP's dresses are always really pretty and I loved Sasha's Malaguena dress and the blue one she wore for the Nats exhibiton. I liked both the blue and the white dresses that Fumie wore for her Swan Lake LP as well. Alexei's MITIM, timmy's An American in Paris, L&T's OD and LP costumes from this season and I LOVE S&Z's Turandot costumes too.

I have to say that anything Jef Billings has a hand in is the BEST... he really knows how to "dress a skater" for "any occasion"

Josée Chouinard is also becoming quite the fasion designer... some of her dresses she designed are just gorgeous!

Tripping on the Podium
    I *loved* Shae-Lynn Bourne's FD dress this season... it worked with the music and I liked the lace-ish top and the raggedness of the purple skirt.

Gold Medalist
    I think that Michelle's are absolutely wonderful-so elegant, but I can't help notice that the one she wore for "Aranjuez" looks like the yellow one which looks like the red one which looks like the purple one and so on....

Medalist
    Oh,

AP-her outfits seems a bit flashy, but it works on her. Many people couldn't get away with it. I hope she changes her look, something subdue pleasing to the eyes.

JK-she is opposite of AP. she needs some flash. Her outfits are wonderful, just a tad plain. By far, the piece dress was her 2003 US LP one. JK is getting better each year.

MK-she has the best dresses, at times. What gets me is her affinity to find colors that blaze, scream, or shout "all-eyes-on-me"--that canary yellow, blues, tans. With that, I think she should be commended for taking more risks in the hue direction. By season end, no doubt, MK has plicked up another gown that's alway more "appropriate" and "practical" for her musical selections (music has "coloring" that cannot be ignored).

Sasha-sasha has style and flair. Her dedication to find the right look is great. I like the more subdue on her. The dropped V line, risky business I say, was not her best outfit. SC is however getting drawn into a traditional style, coach T, enough said. I hope her flair isn't driven away to much, daring colors would work for her.

Sarah-well sarah, please stay competitive. Her dress warrant a fashion thumps up. Her appearance ( yes, subjective and a bit shallow, we all know looking good counts, get over it) improvements only make her more charming on ice.

The US men don't carry a flame for fashion. The guys are in a fashion rut, in my humble opinion. TG and JW may rise to the challenge and create new male fashions.

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    "I have to say that anything Jef Billings has a hand in is the BEST... he really knows how to "dress a skater" for "any occasion"

Jeff has designed dozens of winners over the years, but also some things for which I will never forgive him. The group number costumes from 00 SOI: like getting slapped accross the face. I also wouldn't be surprised if he had a hand in those hideous ketsup to mustard fade things that Meno & Sand wore (97 worlds for example) and that Sasha keeps cutting up and making her own. Ugh.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast