Campbell's International Skating Classic | Golden Skate

Campbell's International Skating Classic

S

SkateFan4Life

The USFSA website has posted an interesting article on the upcoming Campbell's International Figure Skating Classic, scheduled for October 3 in New York City.

Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen, and Ann Patrice McDough are the US women's delegation, with Michael Weiss, Timothy Goebel, and Ryan Jahnke forming the US men's contingent.

Alexi Yagudin will be competing as well - great!

Sarah Hughes signed a lucrative contract with Campbell's to be their spokesperson, following her Olympic gold medal victory, but she's not scheduled to compete. Perhaps she'll be on hand to award the medals and/or to make media appearances.

mike79

On the Ice
Sounds like a great lineup--very similar to last years group. Can't wait to see it. Should be a great way to start the season.

Hey Sk8fan - That link leads me to Reply on GS. Nothing to do with USFSA.

I have tickets so I'll not have to put up with ABC but I will tape it anyway.

It's opening day at Figure Skating Competitions. Huray!! It's a good competition to get the contestants feet wet for the season. It's not exactly fluff but one can't take it seriously.

Joe

nysk8r

Rinkside
I have tickets too!!! It'll be my first time going to a skating competition....I'm gonna feel so clueless not knowing which jumps are which- I've depended on Dick Button for that! :p

nyskater - There are websites which give figure skating jumps, spins and other parts to the free skate. I don't have the link but I think if you type in the words figure skating into a search, they'll pop up.

Joe

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
If I remember correctly from last year, the ladies did much better with this than the men did. All the men struggled a bit and I think it was Timmy who had a horrible time. I hope they all have a much easier time this year.

I'm anxious to see all the new programs and costumes. It's like waiting for Christmas morning to open all the pretty gifts! :laugh:

Nan

J

Jané

Thats cool. I can't wait for skating season to start up. October is so far away :( Thank goodness for the internet :D

Janelle

rachelstarlet

Rinkside
I cannot WAIT to see Yagudin and Plushenko go head to head again. October does seem far away, but it'll be here before we know it!! Any predictions?

sk8er1964

On the Ice
nysk8r said:
I have tickets too!!! It'll be my first time going to a skating competition....I'm gonna feel so clueless not knowing which jumps are which- I've depended on Dick Button for that! :p

Check out this site: http://sk8stuff.com/m_recognize.htm It has some really great examples of jumps, spins & other elements with short videos.

You will be amazed at how much faster the skaters seem than they do on tv.

windspirit

On the Ice
I would gladly go, but driving in NYC and looking for a parking... :\ Does anyone know where the next Campbell's competition will take place? (probably not :laugh: )

Anyway, I just hope that it's not going to be like last year when the men were falling all over the ice. It looked like the rink was rather small and maybe that was the reason, but still it was really strange.

Windspirit - Take the train to Penn Station and you are right there in Madison Square Garden. or

Take the train to Grand Central and then the subway to 34th and 7th avenue.

No car hastle.

Joe

nymkfan51

Medalist
Campbell's

Joe ... great advice about the train ... that's what I'll be doing from Long Island!

BTW ... Sarah was originally scheduled to compete at this event, but has pulled out (presumably due to college).

windspirit

On the Ice
Joe, thanks for the train information. I can't go by train, though, unless I want to make it a 2-day trip (the last -- well, actually the only one -- train I could take when going home leaves NYC at 4:30pm). I thought about going by bus, but again the last one I could take back leaves the city at 8:00pm (at the competition starts at 7:30, right?).

I think I'm going to have to pass. Oh well. :cry: But I'm going to see some of the skaters on the next day in Connecticut, so that's always something. It'd be really nice to able to see the competition, though.