Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Who Were You Most Disappointed to See Retire?

Fan for Life

Who Were You Most Disappointed to See Retire?

I was dissapointed Tara retired so early. Although I understand why, it would have been interesting to see her grow more as an amatuer. I have a feeling I'm going to be disspointed in Sarah's quick departure.

Bourne & Kraatz.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    By the sound of all these rumors, L&T for this year. But over all time, Torvill and Dean.

dpp

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    Anjelika KRYLOVA / Oleg OVSIANNIKOV

Custom Title
    I have never felt disappointed as skaters retire (turn pro). That sounds like a skater would have let me down by retiring, or something like that. In my opinion that is the skaters´ own decision in what way they move on either on their careers or in their lives.

Earlier as favourites like John Curry, Robin Cousins, Torvill & Dean, etc. turned pro, I was feeling a bit sad, because I knew that there was not any hope to see their skating anymore. On the other hand there are always new interesting skaters appearing.

As Ilia Kulik stopped competing in eligible skating in 1998, I did not feel sad, because things are so very different nowadays. One can get tapes from friends in USA and continue following the careers of one´s favourite skaters.

Marjaana

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    "That sounds like a skater would have let me down by retiring, or something like that."

Perhaps you are confusing 'disapointed in' with 'disapointed'.

One can very easily regret that a favorite skater's career is over without there being any judgement of the skater's decision.

I felt a bit off for Nancy Kerrigan. When the results are that close there is no clear winner, for me. I think she could have stuck it out for at least a couple of Worlds.

In my own way, I would have liked to see Tara mature as a competitive skater. Her style was so 'little girlish' and in turning pro it remained that way, imo. Competitive skating I believe would have made the change for the mature Tara.

That Grand Olympics which brought back all the former Olympians only to make them look less than when at their peak. Brian, Kurt. Todd and Elvis did give it another try.

So much happens on THAT NIGHT, it can be crushing for skater and fan. How does one move on with dignity?

Joe

Torvill and Dean & The Duschenays.

Even though I am not much of a Tara fan, I agree she quit before she had a chance to mature and develop her artistry. It looks like Sarah may do the same thing although if her heart isn't in it, she won't be successful anyway.

Jané
    Tara Lipinski and Shae and Vic. I know with Shae and Vic it was time but still. I was sorry to see them go. At least they went out on top. Tara Lipinski still had so much potential though. She could have done way more than she did.

Janelle

Old school Tim fan
    Rudy G

Custom Title
    Oksana Baiul

Perhaps if she continued her competitive career she wouldn't have become sidetracked with money and fun. Staying competitive would have meant keeping self-discipline and a training schedule that might have kept her out of so much trouble.

As far as Tara goes......she had to retire due to her injury. She would not have remained competitive had she continued competing. Her edge was lost with her injuries. Tara's claim to fame were her jumps which she lost forever immediately after the Olympics. I do think Tara grew artistically and matured somewhat as a pro but again her injuries have put her on the sidelines.

Dizzy

B&S...they have left a void in amateur pairs skating
    Last edited by Kara Bear; 08-07-2003 at 04:10 PM.

Without a doubt, Paul Wylie. Although I completely understood why, I still miss his stylish programs and interpretive style....42

Custom Title
    Paul's showing in the pro world made me forget all about the eligible world for him but I was totally sad when he gave it all up so early. I still don't understand why.

Tara was such a great rivalry with my Michelle. Wouldn't call myself a fan but I actually enjoyed her skating. Wasn't really expecting her to move on at 15 but she doesn't really have the bones of a 15 year old anymore

L & T is it's true that they have moved on and that other couple that gave them a chase at Nationals. Everyone thought they were the next big dance pair and I was looking forward to their futures but they abruptly broke up. Still don't get that one.

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?
    B&S in pairs, D&V in dance (also K&O), Kulik in men's, Oksana in ladies. I will be sad if Sarah never returns to competitive skating.

eliza88

PS. Reading all these "retired" skaters just makes me scream BRING BACK PROFESSIONAL COMPETITIONS!! Make it good, make it prestigious, make it have good TV ratings!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast