Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Who Were You Most Disappointed to See Retire?

Originally posted by Joesitz
    I felt a bit off for Nancy Kerrigan. When the results are that close there is no clear winner, for me. I think she could have stuck it out for at least a couple of Worlds.

In my own way, I would have liked to see Tara mature as a competitive skater. Her style was so 'little girlish' and in turning pro it remained that way, imo. Competitive skating I believe would have made the change for the mature Tara.

That Grand Olympics which brought back all the former Olympians only to make them look less than when at their peak. Brian, Kurt. Todd and Elvis did give it another try.

So much happens on THAT NIGHT, it can be crushing for skater and fan. How does one move on with dignity?

Joe
    Kurt hadn't turned pro... and he placed 5... the highest he EVER placed at the Olympics... so don't put him in with Brian Boitano and Katarina Witt

Gordeeva and Grinkov came back and whooped em all... and Torvill and Dean held their own!

[edited to add] I am never upset when someone goes pro... I'm more of a professional skating fan anyway... but when they retire from skating period... that's when I'm sad

I was sad that Paul left the skating scene :( I miss his skating
    I was also in tears watching Scott's Farewell Tour on TV... while he's not done skating completely... I was sad LOL
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 08-07-2003 at 01:24 PM.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    B/S - nuff said.
    K/O - heart broke when I heard they had to turn pro because of Krylova's knee
    Ilia Kulik - who knows how much further he would've gone

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    "Oksana Baiul

Perhaps if she continued her competitive career she wouldn't have become sidetracked with money and fun. Staying competitive would have meant keeping self-discipline and a training schedule that might have kept her out of so much trouble."

Or not.

Some pro skaters take thier jobs very seriously: look at Krist and Yuka. Oksana, OTOH, chose to imbarass herself with shockingly sub-par performances.

I don't believe that a single award changes a entire person's character. There is/was a whole lot more going on in Oksana's head than just being Oly champ. I truely believe that the only thing that gold changed was being able to crash a mercedes into a tree rather than an old chevette.

Custom Title
    Bourne and Kraatz - I know they were around for a long time and did finally win a World Title, but still.....

Drobiasko and Vanagas - It was dissapointing to see them go out on such a bad note (dance controversy at Worlds)

Ina and Zimmerman - They were one of the few good American pairs teams and IMO, they never really reached their full potential either.

Ilia Kulik -I think he could have achivied alot more. He definatly could have given all the men a run for their money in the 2002 Olympics.

Laura

Custom Title
    Originally posted by Lcp88
    Bourne and Kraatz - I know they were around for a long time and did finally win a World Title, but still.....

Drobiasko and Vanagas - It was dissapointing to see them go out on such a bad note (dance controversy at Worlds)

Ina and Zimmerman - They were one of the few good American pairs teams and IMO, they never really reached their full potential either.

Laura
    ITA

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Bourne & Kraatz

Drobiasko and Vanagas

Two very exciting dance teams.

Dee

ladybugii
    K/O in dance
    B/S in pairs
    Brian Boitano in mens
    Kristi in Ladies

wasn't so bad when we could watch the pros on television but now, that is about over. Most of the specials are the skaters from SOI. I would love to see some of the other pro skaters.

Paul Wylie leaving skating all together sure left a big hole in my heart. Also Rudy G. if he is unable to return to the rink.

Custom Title
    NanSinger2-I agree with you on that! I think it would've been great to see more of Tara! ( P.S. That's cool we both like those skater's costumes! )

I don't know the whole thing with Ina and Zimmerman, but I'll be sad if they retire! I was also sad to see Sale and Pelletier (sp?) retire.

Paul Wiley
    Kurt Browning
    Ilia Kulik
    T&D
    Dimetriev & partners
    Jill Trenary
    I know there are others, just have a blocked brain right now.
    As usual.

SkateFan4Life
    I was more shocked than disappointed when Tara Lipinski retired
    from the eligible scene at the age of 15, right after winning the gold medal in Nagano. I thought, "Geez, this kid is just beginning her career, and she could win several more World titles and maybe defend her gold medal in 2002. I was looking forward to a great Lipinski/Kwan rivalry, too.

On the other hand, it's certainly for the best (for Tara) that she did retire, considering the serious injuries she's had. There's simply no way she could have continued at that level, with the triple loop/triple loop and the other triples, with her hip injuries.
    Had she continued as an eligible skater, she might have quickly faded from the scene, with poor competitive performances.

Rogue Leader
    Anissina and Peizerat. They're my all time favourite dancers. I don't think we'll see much of their pro career since they're focusing on Europe.

D&V, I wish they'd come back. L&T T&D and K&P too.
    K&O-it was actually a bad back injury that took her out. They may have made Olympics 2002 more exciting.

I&Z-they were just reaching their potential

It is sad that Paul Wylie doesn't skate anymore.

I wholeheartedly agree that we need to bring back real pro competitions.

Custom Title
    Anissina & Peizerat
    Bourne & Kraatz
    Paul Wylie

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar

Who Were You Most Dissapointed to See Retire?

Recently:

Bourne & Kraatz
    Sale & Pelletier

Past:

Karen Magnussen
    Toller Cranston
    Kurt Browning
    Torvill & Dean
    Brian Orser
    Martini and Underhill

Last edited by Ladskater; 08-07-2003 at 10:57 PM.

Tripping on the Podium
    As much as many people will say that they stayed past their welsome date, I'm still sorry to see Bourne & Kraatz out of the amateur world and into the dismal world of professional ice dancing.

Lavender........I'm guessing that at the ripe old age of 30ish, he had accomplished as a pro all that he didn't accomplish as an eligible skater..........well, we still have his performances on tape to enjoy over and over and over............42

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast