Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Always a Bridemaid...

Fan for Life

Always a Bridemaid...

Reading a few posts got me thinking...which skaters come to mind as never/seldom reaching their potential at the right time. These are skaters that come to mind for me:

Lu Chen (except for her one world win)
    Tonia Kwiatkowski
    Micheal Wiess (except for his National win "gifts")
    Surya B (at her world/olympic performances)
    Sarah Hughes (except for her Olympic win)

Any thoughts?

Michael did quite well for himself at Lalique. Kwiatkowski did skate her best in her last Olys, but she was underscored.

I presume we are discussing personal bests and not gold.

I have never seen Angela's personal best. There were glimpses of it - enough to make me think how fabulous she could be - but I never saw the complete package.

Others include Galina Maniachenko; Jeffrey Buttle; NNN; Carolina Kostner; Yoshie Onda; Sarah Meier; Johnny Weir; Savoie; and one of my favorites: Ilia Klimkin.

I'm hope for all the above (and others) to get a personal best at some time in their eligible careers.

Joe

Abt (wonderful skater, but always in the shadow of Yags/Plush)

In a strange way, I would also say Ina & Zimmerman: their best result (World bronze) came with a very sub-par performance.

Drobiazko & Vanagas. Sigh...

Custom Title
    OK, I'm going to go back a little farther:

Caryn Kadavy
    Josee Chouinard
    Mark Mitchell

~These three had all the talent but at most times not the nerves. :(

Wilson/McCall
    Rahkamo/Kokko
    Punsalan/Swallow
    Drobiazko/Vanagas

~If only they didn't have the Russians in front of them.... Especially Punsalan/Swallow - they should NOT have been behind Lobacheva/Averbukh and Fusar-Poli/Margaglio in 98!!!!

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Fan for Life
    I would have to include Josee on my list as well. I remember being so frustrated for her. I was so excited to see her blossom as a pro.

Joe, you totally understood what I intended with this thread.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    See next message
    Last edited by Ladskater; 08-19-2003 at 11:54 PM.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar

Always a Bridemaid...:No

hrmsk8ngnutt:

Nothing wrong with Wilson & McCall's nerves. They did win bronze at the Olympics in Calgary - should have been silver. Here is their record:

1988 Olympic bronze medalist
    1986-88 World bronze medalist (2 World bronze medals)
    1982-88 Canadian champion (Seven Canadian titles)

Their only problem was cracking the European block judging system. The Russians were always favored. Of course now the judging is "under scrutiny" in the ice dance world. Tracy and Rob would be awarded golds now!

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    Lad, I think that you misunderstood. The nerves comment was about Caryn, Josee and Mark, not Tracy & Rob.

The only one of these

"Lu Chen (except for her one world win)
    Tonia Kwiatkowski
    Sarah Hughes (except for her Olympic win)"

that fits my understanding of 'always a bridesmaid...' is Surya. Silver behind 3 different world champs, and never gold. I dodn't think your other examples fit the old addage at all.

Some of my nominee's:

- Tim Brown: 4 silvers to David Jenkis'golds.
    - David Santee: 4 silvers to 3 different nat champs.
    - Paul Wylie: 3 silvers to 3 different nat champs.
    - Carol Heiss: what does a girl have to do to beat Tenley! But she did triumph in the end.
    - Tina Noyes & Gabby Seyfert: Peggy really should have had them as bridesmaids at her wedding, it would have been only too fitting!
    - Lisa-Marie Allen
    - Kristi at nats until 92. Finally.
    - Werner Rittberger: 3 silver to 2 different world champs. And he invented the loop!
    - James Grogan:4 nats silver and 4 world silver to 2 different world champs.
    - Ronnie Robertson: Hayes Jenkins' shaddow.
    - Brian Orser: king of the silver medals, to 3 different champs.

Custom Title
    "Lu Chen (except for her one world win)
    Tonia Kwiatkowski
    Sarah Hughes (except for her Olympic win)"

I understand all but Lu Chen and Michael Weiss.

Lu Chen and MW had a lot of expectations and MW was expected to win Nationals at least at one point. I know at least one Nat win for MW wasn't a gift and I'm not a fan. Lu Chen had great expectation in her country and she won Worlds and there's a good argument that she could have beaten a clean Michelle and won Worlds 2 times in a row.

However, Sarah's never really the favorite although she had a miracle happen on one night but that's what it took for it to happen for her. Even though she got Olympic gold she's still hardly anyone's favorite. Tonia never had expectations for gold but people wanted more for her. Surya's another non favorite that was just consistent but had too many flaws.

On the Ice
    I'm going to say Angela Nikodinov.....I just want her to skate so well...she's got sooooooo much talent!! Going to agree with Caryn Kadavy too....another one with a lot of talent, but never put out that great performance.

I'm also going to put Sasha Cohen on my list.....she's just amazing, but it seems her nerves always get in the way or something.

Maybe Mark Mitchell for the guys......and throw Michael Weiss in there too.....

Custom Title
    The very first skater who came to my mind after reading the title of this thread was Brian Orser: how many silver medals did he get before finally winning 1987 Worlds? And again, how many of those silver medals would have been gold had Orser competed under today's rules?? :(

Surya Bonaly won quite a few silver medals at Worlds, too, didn't she?

And how many years were B&K stuck in third place at Worlds before finally moving up?

Annie Bellemare has placed either second or third at Canadians for quite a few years now, but still hasn't managed to make it to the top.

On the national level, Hough and Ladret won 1988 Canadians, but always placed second (mostly to B&E) every following year until H&L turned pro in 1992.

Custom Title
    Chen Lu should have beaten Michell but not in Canada.

On the Ice
    Lotsa talent but unable to capitalize consistently:
    Janet Lynn, Nicole Bobeck, Christopher Bowman, and the list goes on....

One has to wonder whether the winners were really the "best"?

Joe

In love with the axel!
    Originally posted by lavender
    However, Sarah's never really the favorite although she had a miracle happen on one night but that's what it took for it to happen for her. Even though she got Olympic gold she's still hardly anyone's favorite.
    OK, I am going to go out on a limb here (and duck the rotton tomatoes thrown at me). If Sarah had won any other Olympics except the last one, she would have been America's Sweetheart (ala Dorothy Hammil - she's got that kind of personality). However, her win was overshadowed by Michelle Kwan's loss - kind of like every winner in the last few years' golf major tournaments have been overshadowed by Tiger Wood's losses.

Personally, I think that whenever anyone skates a personal best, win or lose, then that is the perfect skate (or golf game, if you want to continue the Wood's analogy). In skating, especially, you cannot control the judges or the other skaters - you can only control your own performance.
    Last edited by sk8er1964; 08-20-2003 at 10:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast