Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What Advice Would You Give Which Skater?

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
    This is fun!

Plush: Please DON'T listen to those who say to tone down your costumes. While you looked beautiful at Art on Ice skating in all black, the flamboyance suits you. Please don't change.

Alexei: Come back to competition only if you can challenge Evgeni, but don't hurt yourself again trying to do so.

Alexander Abt: Please wear more mesh this year.

Sasha C: If you must do that horrible spin at the end of every single one of your programs, please learn to do it without that horrible grimace. Smile when you yank your leg over your head.

Nelidina: Please come with me to see my hairdresser.

Mikey W: Please listen to previous posters. Get a new choreographer. Learn a proper triple axel. And learn that sometimes, it's okay to say nothing. (not that any of us in this thread are following this advice :D)

I'm sure I'll think of more...

Laura

Fan for Life
    Originally posted by PrincessLeppard
    This is fun!

Sasha C: If you must do that horrible spin at the end of every single one of your programs, please learn to do it without that horrible grimace. Smile when you yank your leg over your head.

Nelidina: Please come with me to see my hairdresser.

Laura
    Laura,

You crack me up!

Sal-Kowabunga!
    Laura,

I definitely agree about Neludina's hair. Saw her three times at Worlds and was always sure who I saw. That hair was WILD!

Figure Skater Music Editor singerskates's Avatar
    Windsor, ON CAN, at WFCU Centre for Spring Skating School
    This is for all skaters out there pro, elite, test, adult and amature.

Remember why you started to skate. When you skate, skate from your heart not your head. Listen to your music and jam with it. Like singing, one should not show off everything one has ever learned just to show it off. If it doesn't fit in the program, don't do it. Feel you way throug your music as you skate. The audience will feel it with you. Do more stroking during practice sessions and more stretching (especially for pro, adult skaters and elite skaters). Make sure you don't over do it. You've heard your mom's say in your life time that too much of a good thing can be bad for you. (Case in point: Elvis Stojko's 1997-1998 season in the practice rink skating too many hours doing the jumps too many times lead to a badly pulled groin that stole his Olympic Gold medal and turned it into silver.) Make time to rest and do other things. Spend time with family and friends.

Brigitte

Medalist
    Sasha- Relax! Stop worrying so much about skating perfectly, and just do it. You have the talent. Just enjoy yourself.

Evgeny - There's something inherently wrong with a man doing a Bielman. It weirds me out and makes me cringe every time.

Kat

Rinkside
    I would say to Jenny Kirk to stop cupping her hands whenever she does a jump. She should flex her fingers gracefully.

Custom Title

Advice

Elena Sokolova - Find the form and attitude you had during your Worlds SP! Stick with more upbeat music like "Samson and Delilah". If she could skate with the same joyous abandon everytime I could become an ardent fan.

Michelle Kwan - If you're coming back...don't let the success of last season leave you without that hunger. Don't be cautious just because you're number one again, let it all go and enjoy yourself.

Petrova & Tikhinov - Retire! LOL, no, but they desparately need to improve so many aspects of their skating. They need to work on stamina and their excitement level. This season they left me cold. Their skating was empty and void of any emotion.

Timothy Goebel - He's getting there. I don't believe we'll ever see a dramatic makeover from one season to the next (like Michelle from 95 to 96). What we are seeing is gradual improvement in the presentation department every year. This reminds me a bit of Todd Eldredge. Todd's style developed over a long period of time and became quite pleasing and fluid. So, I think he should listen to those around him and do only what he is comfortable with.

Angela - I want a World medal for her so badly! Or at least another Nationals medal! She seems so geniune. To see her skating improve so much from 1997 to the level she reached in 2001 was wonderful. She's got it all....now I just want to see her realize that.

Custom Title
    Angela- your beauty on the ice is undeniable, focus yet remain relaxed.

Sasha- focus on your love of skating and remain focused on each element and putting your entire program together.

Custom Title
    Alexei, listen to your doctors! Ooops, that would be out of character, wouldn't it? :D

Anke, you know that I agree with you! - Lisa

On the Ice
    Fumie, please don't neglect the smallest detail in your programs! Making sure that every single position you execute looks good makes all the difference; sloppy positions are clearly a sign of carelessness and is very glaring.

Rooting for the Kerrs!
    Michelle - your footwork sequences improved SO MUCH in your 03 programmes, so keep it up. But don't leave the rest of your routines so empty. You've proven you can do the in-betweens and transitions, so don't leave them all out! Also, come up with a new dress design

Sasha - work on the flutz. Work on consistency and edge security. Perform for the audience and for the love of skating, not for the medal.

Irina - work hard to be as ready as you can be for this season. Hold some of your positions longer (like in the Olympics SP), and explore different types of music and choreography. You obviously love skating to upbeat music, and do very well at it, so try capitalizing on that in your new programmes, particularly the LP. Combined with your speed, power and edge quality, it'd be amazing!

Sarah - enjoy your time at college! Continue to skate, but do what you want to do, it's the best thing to do.

Plushy - continue in the same vein. Don't overdo it on the jumps if it's going to cause injury, as spectacular as they are to watch. Continue to improve all the time, work on spins, and just carry on.

Tim - work on using your arms more and loosening up. I think it'd make all the difference in the world. And really try hard to carry on working on artistry - I have to say I didn't notice any improvement from last season at all - the only difference in his LPs from Olympics to 03 Worlds that I noticed was the wide-mouthed facial expression at the start. It's not just about the elements, remember that. Particularly when you're competing against the likes of Plushenko. Other that that, take it easy on the hip.

Skating Soprano
    Sasha-keep up the good work and dont let naysayers get u down. Yr getting more consistant

MK-Dont get me started. Stop faking it. please.

AP-Lesson 1:Fist pumps dont work for madame butterfly....

alexei-get well soon. we miss u

NNN-ditch the leg wrap.

Illia K-Open up to the press a little. Short answers that dont get personal work better than "No personal questions" for everything.

Surya-Get someone else to do yr clothes. Please. Spare us.

Oksana-Good job getting it back together. Keep it up.

Always Dream
    This looks cool

Irina- Try to smile more and be more graceful. Look like you are having a good time.

Sasha- Keep practicing those jumps, you are getting more consisitent. And try not to worry so much, just go out there and relax.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by skatepixie
    MK-Dont get me started. Stop faking it. please.

Surya-Get someone else to do yr clothes. Please. Spare us.

Suyra, she has at least 2 more world medals than the skater that you did not "get started". I happen to like Suyra a lot, including her back flips and her costumes.

So thanks for your thoughts skatepixie.
    Last edited by rtureck; 09-14-2003 at 10:37 PM.

Michelle: You've got this skating thing mastered. Now don't neglect your education.

Prof. Mathman

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast