What Advice Would You Give Which Skater? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

What Advice Would You Give Which Skater?

skatepixie

On the Ice
All of kwans gestures seem fake to me. And you can force a smile to extend to your eyes. It also bugs me that she smiles soooo much in every program. It shows a lack of versitility.

Cheeting is falling short of rotation. Mao cheets by 1/2 a rev quite often.

Sasha's flutz was slight and that was the only time ive seen her to it. Flutzing once, so slightly that it can only be caught on slow mo replay, doesnt compare to faling short of rotation on every jump you do in a program. What does Mao's age matter. Why give high marks to a girl who does this?

I find Toller VERY annoying. The guy just irritates me to no end. He things that he single handedly change the sport and that this means that he knows everything.

boggartlaura

On the Ice
Michelle: Keep kicking ass and enjoying yourself.

Sasha: Have fun out there. Remember why you started skating. Also, a change of edge spiral involves two edges, not a flat and an edge. And fix the flutz.

Tim: Keep working on your presentation. You're improving.

rtureck

Final Flight
Quote:
Cheeting is falling short of rotation. Mao cheets by 1/2 a rev quite often.

~~ So she needs to work on her jumps, and she is only 13, why you decide to get started on a little 13 y/o, and imply that she cheats ? I think this thread is started with the spirit of constructive criticism, not a chance for you to diss your least favrotie skaters.

Quote:
Sasha's flutz was slight and that was the only time ive seen her to it. Flutzing once, so slightly that it can only be caught on slow mo replay, doesnt compare to faling short of rotation on every jump you do in a program.

~~ Cohen has never been able to do a true outside edge lutz. I was at worlds 03, and other competitions, I had front row seats.

Quote:
I find Toller VERY annoying. The guy just irritates me to no end. He things that he single handedly change the sport and that this means that he knows everything.

~~So you are easily annoyed, it is not his fault, just don't watch him. I don't think he is actively competing or even doing that many skating shows. He has branched into art.

Last edited:

MidnightNess

Rinkside
All of kwans gestures seem fake to me. And you can force a smile to extend to your eyes. It also bugs me that she smiles soooo much in every program. It shows a lack of versitility.

Or maybe it shows that she's actually enjoying herself out there and wants to express it? :rolleye:

Sasha: Work on your inside edge when it comes to your spirals. You seem to have a great inside edge on your lutzes. Remember you're skating because you love it, not because you want to win win win. No more deep-V dresses nor that deep-V leotard I saw at Worlds practice. Stop frontloading your programs. 5 jumps before the 2 minute mark is not impressive. Add some real choreography instead of the same bag of tricks we keep seeing in every program.

Michelle: more MORE choreography in the first half of your LPs. You've spoiled us from 1996-2000 and we're hungry for more. Get some new spin positions, that catch foot spin in Arianne was nice albeit slow. Are you allergic to long-sleeves in your dresses? If not, try some, it would accentuate your arm choreography. Get a 3/3 just to piss people off :laugh: Continue to skate as long as you want, regardless of placement.

Irina: no more operas. try to smile more. You have an awesome figure, stop hiding it behind raggedy dresses. Like Michelle, continue to skate because you love it, no matter your age. A 3/3 would be nice.

To all skaters, don't push yourself too hard. We want you out there on the ice, not at home putting on ice for an injury :)

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I think Toller changed the sport for the better, myself. And I love Michelle's smile. But then consider the source of someone who can't even spell cheat.

Personal opinions are in the eye of the beholder.

Nothing wrong with that. What you should be thinking (and not writing) is that the poster is more or less than you thought and should be supported or ignored in the future. Helps with the blood pressure.

Joesitz

icenut84

Final Flight
rtureck - this whole thread is about opinions, what advice or constructive criticism you would give each skater. Why pick on one poster and everything they type because you don't agree with the things they think? Variety is the spice of life. Opinions is what this thread *asked* for.

NanSinger2

On the Ice
Grgranny said:
I think Toller changed the sport for the better, myself. And I love Michelle's smile. But then consider the source of someone who can't even spell cheat.

Grgranny, you're a gem!

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Alexei: Don't overdo it--mind the hip.

Angela: Figure out if you really want to do this anymore, and if you do, just skate all out, give it everything you've got. Don't be timid.

Sasha: Forget gold, winning, being number 1. Concentrate on being Sasha who is very unique and special, keep that concentration going throughout a full program, and work on that jump technique. And please, end a program with ANYTHING besides the "grimace spin." You're so lovely and I just hate seeing you gritting your teeth trying to spin when you should be smiling to the heavens.

Michelle: Give us more "Fields of Gold" style choreography in your competitive programs and work on those 3/3's. Most of all ENJOY YOURSELF like you did this past season. And please DO stick around. Its worth it just to see how it makes your detractors heads spin to come up with more gripes and criticisms about you. :p

Last edited:

rtureck

Final Flight
icenut84 said:
rtureck - this whole thread is about opinions, what advice or constructive criticism you would give each skater. Why pick on one poster and everything they type because you don't agree with the things they think? Variety is the spice of life. Opinions is what this thread *asked* for.

"Toller leave us alone", is an opinion? constructive criticism?or advise? or just a put down?

It is a put down, and there is nothing constructive about it, and why pull others, i.e. us into it?

Last edited:
Just hoping this thread doesn't get out of hand.

Again, check the opinions being offered. Some are constructive, some are cleverly fun; others are nasty but that is due to a lack of tact.

Most of all there are certain posters who do not see any beauty in any skater who is not a national of a particular country. This is sad for figure skating in general but it does exist. Nothing can be done about it so just recognize who the poster is who is unable to appreciate universal figure skating. I would suggest ignoring that poster but you may have a better solution.

Joe

toutestgrace

Rinkside
Tim - shoulders down a bit more, smile a bit more, and visualize looking very cool as you skate. I think then the arms will come...

Sasha - I agree with dumping your last painful-to-watch spin. Keep everything else and let go...

Michelle - do whatever makes you happy...

Plushy - Get thee to a new choreographer and music editor...

skatepixie

On the Ice
I like skaters of diffrent contries if I was the one u were refering to. Yes, most of my favs are from USA or Russia, but not all.

S

SkateFan4Life

Timothy Goebel -- Focus on artistry!!

Michelle Kwan -- Focus on a clean triple/triple combination !!

Sasha Cohen -- Focus on skating clean programs !!

Michael Weiss -- Focus on skating clean programs !!

SkatePixie, about faking emotions, we have to remember that these are performances. Like actors, top level skaters try to portray joy, anguish, etc., as appropriate to a character or to the spirit of the music. We each have our favorite skaters just like we have favorite actors and actresses. You like how Sasha portays emotion in her performances. That's cool. I like Michelle. That's cool, too.

Mathman

bumblebee1

Rinkside
Sarah Hughes- Please, don't wear black or deep purple costumes. Both colors make you pale.

Plushy- This past season's long program costume was a step in the right direction. You're a man now, not a boy. Please dress and get choreography that gives you a little more sophistication.

Alexei- As was said a few times before, take care of yourself. You can't do everything. You have to learn to say NO once in a while. Something has to give.

Sasha Cohen- Girl, you've got a lot of potential. Please forget about winning and just concentrate on skating a clean program.

lulu

Final Flight
Sasha Cohen: Has beautiful spirals and extensions. Work on those Edges! Hire Yuka Sato if you have too!

Tim Goebel: Has the jumps, work on the posture, and artistry. Hire Anton Sikharulidze to help you with posture and arm positions. It will be worth it in the end.

Sasha Abt: Stamina!

Shen & Zhou: 2003 was a step in the right direction. Work on those spins! Move to Switzerland if you have to! ;)

Michelle Kwan: Usually am not a big fan, but LOVED her SP from this year. Try new, unusual music. Do something that will make people say "What the heck was that?!"

Brian Joubert: Great Skater, however last time I checked, your name wasn't "Alexei Yagudin" find your own style.

T&M: Has the technical package. Find a style that fits you-not one that you think might reach the audience. Don't be afraid to "connect" to each other on the ice.

American Pairs: Um-Good Luck!:D
Seriously though... To Scott and Dulebon(Sp?) ditch the "Pink Panther" Hire Artur Dmitriev to do your choreography.

To all the skaters: Edges and Lines are the basis of Figure Skating.
Work on those jumps and spins.
And Especially: Remember the Choreography. Try something new daring, constroversial even:eek:
And remember: Some of you can get away with "nude fabric" some of you can't.

Last edited:
To all the skaters: Edges and Lines are the basis of Figure Skating. And I say amen to Lulu for that.

I would like to add: Without them, you're noting more than a 3rd rate vaudeville act. Lots of tricks and no class.

Joe

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Lets see....

Michelle...Keep doing what you did this year. Skate becuase you love it...there's nothing more wonderful than that :)

Sasha...work on your edges, chack the Y (I?) spin, and please get an ending pose. both your LP and exhibition started the season with nice ending poses and by the times worlds rolled around they both ended with you just staiding there with your arms in the air. I liked them MUCH better the other way.

AP...You're doing great! Keep it up Work on that double axel and the spiral.

Alexei...Stay healthy! and kick butt this season!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Irina S. - choose for music and choreography such ideas which suit your own true personality, please

Plushy - use costumes which are more simple and less flashy (with smaller golden ornaments), please. You already are fortunate to have a body build which looks elegant on the ice, don´t spoil it with too distractive costumes. I appreciate that you favour Russian choreography, but could you at least try some American choreography for one of your programmes, please? Leah Ann Miller would be my suggestion.

Sasha Cohen - when competing, try to keep concentrating on the programme you are skating to a bit better; no easy mistakes anymore, please. Really work on your jumping to get it more consistent. I hope you are doing runthroughs of your whole programme in practices?

Timothy Goebel - try to find that kind of music which you *personally* love and also feel that it speaks to you and you really are able to relate to and to express it on the ice, please. Only then there will be hope of improved presentation and music interpretation. Maybe also a new choreographer for next season: Kawahara, Miller, Tarasova?

Alexander Abt - when practicing, do runthroughs of your whole programme, please. You don´t need rags hanging from your costumes, you are capable of interpreting music without them. Try to find a new choreographer, please.

Brian Joubert - find a skating style and a choreography of your own, please. Even though *you* personally are both handsome and also tall with a body type to have an elegant look on the ice, copying some other skater´s skating or programme style will spoil the effect and will not make the result look good or impressive. Besides, it is just a copy and not worthy of you. You can do much better with a style of your own, in my opinion.

Michelle Kwan - continue on the type of your past season´s short programme, please. A new look in your costumes would be a nice change.

Sandhu - totally concentrate just on your skating and skating programmes and give your facial looks much less attention, please. Remember that a "simple" and beautiful choreography is in many occasions a better choice for a really impressive skating programme.

Weiss - concentrate on your jumping to get it consistent, please. You already have a great talent for interpretating music. And no more silly double axel mistakes, please.

Stephane Lambiel - get the jumping more consistent by concentrating on practicing it, please. You already have everything else in your skating to make you big. I hope you are doing runthroughs of your whole programme in practices?

Nurmenkari - concentrate on your jumping much much more, please. You should have a quad or at least you should have had a consistent triple axel long ago.

Susanna Pöykiö - keep your beautiful skating style and try to get the jumping really consistent.

Marjaana

Last edited: