Lang/Tchernyshev to Skip GP Season | Golden Skate

Lang/Tchernyshev to Skip GP Season

S

SkateFan4Life

Here's a link to a USFSA website article on US dance champions Naomi Lang/Peter Tchernyshev. They have announced that they will sit out the 2003 Grand Prix season. They are retaining their eligible status. Hopefully, they'll return rested, fired up, and ready to skate!

http://www.usfsa.org/news/2003-04/langtchern-august.htm

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Yay! I'm so glad to hear that they haven't split and they haven't retired. Maybe they'll decide to compete in Nationals and Worlds...I hope so. They will be missed this year.

I guess there is no baby to keep her from skating. It's a kind of sabbatical for Naomi. I'd like them to hang around for 2006.

btw... MK and now L&T skipping GP. Has the GP lost is glitter? Will ISU judges take revenge on skippers?

Joe

April

Rinkside
Gee

Well, L/T need to refocus on their artistry and technique. This time away from international "scoring" my hurt them down the road, but after a lackluster year, time away is a good thing. Look how refreshed MK was with little "break".

S

SkateFan4Life

I wouldn't be surprised if the ISU eventually does place sanctions on skaters who skip the Grand Prix circuit. After all, they want to keep as much control over the sport of figure skating as they possibly can.

I fully expect to see Michelle Kwan and Naomi and Peter at Nationals next year. In my opinion, they've more than "paid their dues" on the Grand Prix circuit, and they are entitled to a short sabbatical from competition if they choose to do so.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
IMHO, the GPF hasn't had much "glitter" in a while.

I don't think that anyone is pleased with the 2 LP format, yet it persists. Most often, the skaters are just too tired to skate clean.

It's always the same 6 skaters anyway. Minor interest as a worlds preview, but otherwise boring. I don't think that I'm alone in feeling that the title is meaningless, especially in comparison to a world or Oly title. And after seeing said six compete during the GPS, there is no real interest in their programs by the GPF.