Dieting - DIE with a T | Golden Skate

Dieting - DIE with a T

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Well, I thought I was on to something good there - watching the carbs, but my system is not liking it! I guess I did not get enough "fuel" today at lunch and after work, I went shopping. I had a headache all afternoon and started feeling really weak. When I got to the grocery store - I decided to have something to eat - and just in time. I had a hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) reaction. I am not diabetic, but I do have the tendency to get "shaky" when I don't get enough food. That is why I can't fast. I don't last a day. Anyway, I had a good meal and I am home now. Boy do I feel tired. That was another thing, I felt tired all afternoon at work. I guess I should go see my Dr. So much for the diet. Maybe, losing ten pounds is not worth the trouble. I feel miserable. Get me some Hagen-Daez quick!

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Lad, I'm the same way. My youngest son takes it to a different level. He gets very "cranky" when he doesn't eat regularly. Ten minutes after a meal, he's an entirely different person........42

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
I'm not going to preach to anyone because I figure - hey whatever works for you, go for it! But let me just put myself on the line here as an actual, honest to God, example:

I'm 5,9 (and over 30 - that's all I'll say). I should be between 157-163lbs.

1/1/02 = I was 282 lbs

Today = 169 lbs.

I'm about 10 lbs from my goal and not one day have I felt like I was on any kind of strict diet. What worked for me? Two words:

WEIGHT WATCHERS!

It was slow going (1-2 lbs a week) but because I could have anything I wanted within moderation (and the points range), all the choices were up to me. No I can't sit down and pig out on an entire cheese pizza (well I could, but I wouldn't). But I can decide what I want and when I want. I three good meals a day with 3 snacks times - so that no more than 4 hours goes by without eating something.

I was total behavior modification - not combination of good foods vs. bad foods. I know I'll be able to keep this weight loss off because it happened so gradually, that the behavior is ingrained in me now.

Don't know if it's for you, but just sharing my experience.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Skate Sandee:

Thanks. I know Weight Watchers is good. I followed the diet once on my own and walked a couple of miles a day. I did lose weight.

I have been basically trying to improve my eating habits and cut down on carbs. May have been a little too "drastic." All things in moderation!

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Dieting is a ugly word. We should all get exercise and eat a well balanced diet. We have to learn to eat right for the rest of our lives, not just for a few months. That is why "diets" don't work, because once you stop them you just go back to your old way of eating instead of learning how to eat right.

And starving ourselfs only slows your metabolism. Your body thinks it needs to hang on to the few calories we have and this slows down your metabolism. Cardio exercise and weight training to increase muscle mass are the keys to being fit. And of course eating smart!

The formula is simple- if you consume more calories then you burn then is gets stored as fat.

dmr65

On the Ice
3 yrs ago at 5'5 I weighed 273, dropped a few pounds on my own, then joined WW and lost 105 lbs. in 2 yrs I came close to my goal weight by .4 oz... I agree WW was the best decision, but it may not be for everyone..

Denise..

Kara Bear

Final Flight
Denise, what a great story. Way to go!

My mother recently joined "Curves". She is not at her ideal weight and sometimes I can really tell that she is not comfortable with herself. Curves has made her feel better about herself and she says it gives her more energy. And she has lost 7 inches. I'm so proud of her.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Skate Sandee and Denise - Congratulations. Losing weight is not easy. I'm impressed by your dedication and perseverance. Best of luck in the future.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
I don't have to lose a lot of weight - only about ten pounds. I have been seriously thinking about weight-watchers. There is another group called tops. They are more of a support group.

Actually, I had to take my car in for some work and now I am forced to walk and take the bus! It's more like how I used to live in Victoria. I think being more active is the key.