ESPN 360 - The best way to see figure skating without being there? | Golden Skate

ESPN 360 - The best way to see figure skating without being there?

I did watch 4CC on ESPN 360 from 2:30 am to 5:00 am. I was lucky in that my service (RCN) carries it. I also passed the registration because, I have the requirements. It's free if you have the correct Service and their requirements.
Broadband, Hi speed, etc. I am not computer savvy and I must have had the requirements included with the 'Bundle' I purchased which included hi speed computer, telephone-short and long distance, and TV high something. (I added up my monthly bills and found that there was not that much difference than paying the one bill for the bundle.

If you have not registered with 360, you might want to check the home page anyway. They will know if your Service has 360. If you do check it out today, you will see that some of the 4CC events are going to be in replay. Just type in ESPN 360.com.

The things I do not know about computer science will fill Hoover Damn. For instance, and I would appreciate some replies from all you experts on this for myself and others like me: What is Hi Speed? Hi Digital? Hi Density??? not sure of that but there is another HiD something.

Joe

To answer my own topic question I think it is worth it if you love watching LIVE tv. I will save money due to NBCs rechanging USFS scheduling of the home country events by not going. That'll make international events easier.
Maybe some posters could save money by combining telephone, computer and TV bills. That's your homework.

Lucy25

Final Flight
Thanks so much for this thread. I never even considered that I could get this with my service, so I never tried. To my surprise, I do get it! Unfortunately, I see no skating on the schedule, but at least now I know I have this viewing option. Thanks again!!:clap:

**edited to say that I played around with the site more and see where I can view the FCC's replays. The picture is so clear!

Last edited:

dewey

Rinkside
I like ESPN360 very much. I watch events on replay so I can watch them at sane hours. The picture quality is so-so for me; it goes back and forth between being reasonably clear and being pixelated. It also gets choppy sometimes. I don't know if that's because I don't have the highest speed DSL available or whether the actual recording is that way. But I love being able to see all the skaters, warmups, and scores without commercial interruption and without commentators gabbing away.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
When I checked, it said that AT&T carried it also. I need to upgrade to get it, though.

ChrisH

On the Ice
It's a good thing.

The biggest complaint I have at the moment is that it forces the picture aspect ratio to 4:3 on my computer system (which includes a 4:3 monitor). It makes the women look so skinny, including thin heads. I'm beginning to think that ESPN360 has a conspiracy to encourage anorexia. ;)

I can see that it should be 16:9 (widescreen) because then the circular logos in the background are actually circles rather than ovals. The resolution also seems to be better in widescreen. The only way I've been able to keep it at 16:9 is to stay on "mosaic" size and pausing the 5 sub-videos. Otherwise, it constantly switches back to 4:3.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I think it is worth it if you love watching LIVE tv. I will save money due to NBCs rechanging USFS scheduling of the home country events by not going.
IceNetwork.com, not ESPN360, broadcasts U.S. Nationals on the Internet. Let's hope they can keep their comprehensive coverage going in the future.

That'll make international events easier.
But ESPN's TV contract with the ISU for the Grand Prix events (except for Skate America), Europeans, Four Continents and Worlds ends after this season (2008). So enjoy ESPN360 (those who can get it) while you can...

Last edited:
Thanks so much for this thread. I never even considered that I could get this with my service, so I never tried. To my surprise, I do get it! Unfortunately, I see no skating on the schedule, but at least now I know I have this viewing option. Thanks again!!:clap:

**edited to say that I played around with the site more and see where I can view the FCC's replays. The picture is so clear!
Lucy - I think the schedule listing changes every day and there is more than one page showing. Not sure, though.

ChrisH It's a good thing.

The biggest complaint I have at the moment is that it forces the picture aspect ratio to 4:3 on my computer system (which includes a 4:3 monitor). It makes the women look so skinny, including thin heads. I'm beginning to think that ESPN360 has a conspiracy to encourage anorexia.

I can see that it should be 16:9 (widescreen) because then the circular logos in the background are actually circles rather than ovals. The resolution also seems to be better in widescreen. The only way I've been able to keep it at 16:9 is to stay on "mosaic" size and pausing the 5 sub-videos. Otherwise, it constantly switches back to 4:3. [/UNQUOTE]
I wish I could help, but I'm completely computer ignorant. I'm hoping posters with more knowledge of computers can discuss this topic more than I can.

Joe

Last edited:

waxel

Final Flight
Hey Joe. Thanks for the reminder about ESPN360. I'm going to watch the SPs on demand! Will wait for LPs on TV.

IceNetwork.com, not ESPN360, broadcasts U.S. Nationals on the Internet. Let's hope they can keep their comprehensive coverage going in the future.

But ESPN's TV contract with the ISU for the Grand Prix events (except for Skate America), Europeans, Four Continents and Worlds ends after this season (2008). So enjoy ESPN360 (those who can get it) while you can...

Sylvia - How much is ESPN360 tied up with that old contract with ABC? I'm thinking it is a new scheme on its own. There are many international sports in ESPN360 which are enjoyed by the whole world. I don't think it is tied up with the USFS.

Will Icenetwork cover the US Nats as a LIVE show? That show is tied with the USFS, but it is not international.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Ice Network showed Nationals live this year IIRC.

ESPN360 will be contracted the same as ESPN/ABC... it's just their online outlet.

I can't get ESPN 360, even though we pay for ESPN on our tv package... *shrugs* oh well.

ChrisH

On the Ice
TV is by far the best for me as I don't know how to record ESPN360 or the icenetwork. TV's video quality is also the best. Recording to DVD is a good thing.

ESPN360 has better video quality and more of the bigger events than the icenetwork.

Icenetwork archives its events far longer (for on demand viewing) than ESPN360 and the site has a lot of related skating content.

YouTube is better than nothing and it's free. :)

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
When I enlarged the screen, I felt as though I were sitting in the audience. For me a much better perspective and view of the entire rink than I see on the telly. Love it!!!

There are other sources for watching TV either LIVE or on Demand.
During the live showing, many posters reported on Daum, Chinese TV, Russian TV, and, of course Espn360.

I really only know American Network TV which is very limited in what it shows.

I subscribe to Icenetwork ($25 per year) and it does a fairly good job without any commentary. It is limited so far to US national events. I discover a lot of new talent (Hacker, for instance) at Regionals and Sectionals. You do not get the feeling that you are in the Arena, imo.

ESPN360, a world wide sports channel. It is free if you have the required TV equipment. There is a posibability that the channel may disappear after Sweden Worlds. I dunno. Hope someone can check that out.

Other sources, I had a lot of trouble trying to get them. Maybe someone who is more successful at using other sources can give us some data.

I feel we are not going to get much from NBC after the Olys, if any, and they seem to be very limited in what they show before the Olys. It's time to look elsewhere.

Joe

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I can't ESPN 360 and letters to my cable provider have been to no avail. I wish they would carry a version that a person could subscribe to without having to involve my cable provider.

I receive ESPN, 3 channels worth of it, from Comcast, but it just does not carry espn360.

I can't ESPN 360 and letters to my cable provider have been to no avail. I wish they would carry a version that a person could subscribe to without having to involve my cable provider.

I receive ESPN, 3 channels worth of it, from Comcast, but it just does not carry espn360.
That is the main differences between myself and those that think ESPN360 is a cable network. It isn't. It's done on the computer. It is not a TV channel. However the requirement is not to have ESPN network, but to have a TV Provider that carries it.

Doris, in New York the big cable provider is Time Warner, which I do not have. The alternative was RCN which I do have and it does carry ESPN360. You have to find a cable provider that carries ESPN360. The rest is all on the computer so it doesn't interfere with any cable shows.

But maybe all those posters are correct that after Worlds 2008, it will not be seen because of the contract with ABC ending. I don't know for sure but ESPN360 was never a TV show. It is a computer show, so I do not think it is includeded with that contract. At the same time, can't help but wonder what money is in it for ESPN since it is free. It is good though.

Joe

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Joe, Comcast is both my ISP and my TV cable provider. It still won't carry ESPN360. And I used the little zip code driven application on ESPN360's website and no ISP in my area provides access. All ESPN360 would do is let me send my isp a letter saying I would love you to have a contract with ESPN360.

No such luck.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Great news for those of us who can't get ESPN360: NTV+ on WebTV is planning to show Junior Worlds. The schedule isn't available yet, but when it is I'm sure some kind soul will post it on GS.

decker

On the Ice
But maybe all those posters are correct that after Worlds 2008, it will not be seen because of the contract with ABC ending. I don't know for sure but ESPN360 was never a TV show. It is a computer show, so I do not think it is includeded with that contract. At the same time, can't help but wonder what money is in it for ESPN since it is free. It is good though.

Joe

ABC and ESPN are owned by a single entity, which has a multi-year contract to broadcast ISU-owned material through Worlds 08. I don't believe ESPN360 existed when the contract was executed, but it could have been added in a later amendment. In any case, the ABC/ESPN contract with ISU is about to end. Unless another contract is negotiated, nobody will have any license for any ISU competitions in any medium (except for the US-only rights to SA, which is webcast by IceNetwork).

The fact that Nifty New Medium was just invented last week (or whatever) doesn't mean that you are legally free to do with it whatever you please. You must purchase a license from the owner of the material. And unless the owner's attorney bought his/her law license at Sears & Roebuck, the contract will state that any rights not specifically listed are retained by the owner (the ISU in this instance).

I'm hoping that Major League Baseball Entertainment will be able to negotiate worldwide rights for ISU-owned material. MLBE provides the IceNetwork service under contract with USFSA (which of course covers only USFSA material).

I happen to have a good friend who is his company's liaison to MLBE (they have a contract for some of the fancy hardware). He visited the New York headquarters during Nats and made a point to call and rub it in that he was watching live feed on multiple giant-screen HDTVs.

Anyway, he says MLBE has contracts for quite a few "limited-audience" sports that have trouble selling TV rights. They generally can turn a profit with about 10,000 subscriptions. Surely they could get that from international competitions, if Speedy is willing to negotiate reasonably. I know ... that's a big if!

I don't have access to ESPN360. Are there banner ads? Selling of advertisements is how media in general can afford to publish or broadcast anything.

Susan

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Susan - thank you for putting what we've been saying into more concise words...