Kosovo precedent could have consequences on the World | Golden Skate

Kosovo precedent could have consequences on the World

gio

Medalist
Kosovo precedent can have consequences on the World

Kosovo's unilateral declaration of independence can have serious consequences on:

-Republika Srpska in Bosnia
-Abkhazia and South Ossetia in Georgia
-Nagorno Karabakh in Azerbaijan
-Transdnistria in Moldova
-Chechnya, Ingushetia, Daghestan in Russia
-Eastern Ukraine
-Hungarian minorities in Romania, Slovakia and Serbia
-Northern Cyprus
-Taiwan
-Tamil areas of Sri Lanka
-Kurdistan
-Pais Vasco, Catalonia and Galicia in Spain
-Quebec in Canada
-various regions in India
-Papua, Aceh in Indonesia
-West Bank and Gaza Strip in Israel

All of these regions could now think that if Kosovo unilaterally declared independence, they could do the same!

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Gio, ITA! What's more, it's shocking that the EU/ UN/ NATO did not even attempt to assuage at least some of the Serbian concerns. For example, most of the Serbs still in Kosovo are now pretty much in one area - that area could have well reverted to Serbia, there is no reason for it to be a part of the new country. What's more, the international recognition of Kosovo should have been contingent on meeting conditions such as preserving (meaning not actively destroying) the Serbian cultural sites including the monasteries.

Personally, I also find it rather hypocritical of most European nations to support this cause. After all, France won't even allow Corsicans to teach the Corsican language in Universities! Spain and Britain have had (and still have) problems with their separatists. However, just because the Serbs have been Europe's boogymen for awhile, everyone just jumps on the support-Kosovo bandwagon!

gio

Medalist
Totally agree!!! A lot of Serbs were forced to leave their houses and leave Kosovo in these last 8 years. Thousands of Serbs were expelled from the cities of Pristina, Urosevac, Pec, Prizren and Klina. The historical monasteries were destroyed and the orthodox religious figures were and are harassed.

Yeah, especially Italy and France are hypocritical!! Why doesn't Italy recognize independence of Sardinia? Or France of Corsica?
About Spain, they decided to not recognize Kosovo, because they fear similiar moves from rich Catalonia and Basque Region.

BTW, the Serbs in Bosnia said they will ask for a referendum of independence, if Bosnia, UN/EU/NATO and the majority of the countries in the World recognize Kosovo.
Putin reassured the president of Georgia, that Russia won't recognize Abkhazia and South Ossetia. Maybe he does this to pressure Georgia to not recognize Kosovo.

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
BTW, the Serbs in Bosnia said they will ask for a referendum of independence, if Bosnia recognizes Kosovo.
Well, Bosnia-Herzegovina is a special case altogether. The county was essentially put together by Europe that felt too guilty for allowing such terrible bloodshed to take place. The whole part about Bosnian Serbia and Bosnian Croatia never being able to join their brethren always seemed like a power keg to me. I just hope and pray it doesn't blow up now...

gio

Medalist
Well, Bosnia-Herzegovina is a special case altogether. The county was essentially put together by Europe that felt too guilty for allowing such terrible bloodshed to take place. The whole part about Bosnian Serbia and Bosnian Croatia never being able to join their brethren always seemed like a power keg to me. I just hope and pray it doesn't blow up now...

Unfortunately the attacks on Croatian, Bosnian and Slovenian embassies (as well as USA's, Canada's, Belgium's and Turkey's ones) in Serbia and the burning of Serbian flags in Croatia are very bad signs.

Last edited: