12 year old doing 3axel | Golden Skate

12 year old doing 3axel

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
mkfanatic:

Watch out here comes Japan! Yet, another bright skating star on the horizon. Good jumper too. I will be watching for this girl.

dizzydi

On the Ice
Wow! I'm impressed with Mao Asada. She skates fairly maturely for a 12-year old. And is she a beautiful little girl or what?

Dizzy

dizzydi

On the Ice
Her skating isn't perfect but she is 12 years old. Plenty of time to correct and polish her skating.

Dizzy

peachstatesk8er

On the Ice
I respectfully disagree. If she cannot make a full rotation now, then she will have an even harder time when she gets a bit bigger.

Yazmeen

On the Ice
I'm going to back peach up. She's very cute and obviously has a lot of potential, but her jump landings were mostly insecure and the flow out of them was very poor. She rotates in the air beautifully, a la Tara, but otherwise the rest of the jumps are nothing to write home about. The program is also totally front loaded and runs out of steam when it runs out of jumps. Her spirals are awful--not held, and her free leg is really bent. Again, she has potential, and it will be interesting to see how she skates once the "puberty monster" visits. I'll cheer more for that triple axel when its fully rotated, like Midori's or Tonya's were. She is quite a charming little presence on the ice, though. Great potential, but I wouldn't bet the farm on her now.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
there was a twelve year old kid from Homer last winter here skating and he had all but his triple axel from what his coach was telling me... he did an exhibition at the local "winter games" and he had a triple loop double loop... it was really cool... most of the others weren't doing anything but singles... I remember his first name was Josh... maybe someday he'll dethrone Timothy Goebel or something and I can say "I saw him when..." LOL

Lanie

On the Ice
Her technique makes me twitch. If she gets better technique and positions, then I'll be impressed. But the thing is, why do little girls keep pushing it? The poor thing won't be able to compete by 16, 17 if she keeps at it like this! That's what really bothers me most.

L

ladybugii

That was my first thought Lanie. When will the injuries begin.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Thanks for the link. There's been so much talk about the young Japanese ladies, I'm glad I finally got to see what it's all about.

Adorable little thing, and sure brings a new name to jumping bean. I hope she doesn't jump herself into early retirement, but it certainly looks like she's got potential.

For those skaters of you commenting, I realize that young, light, narrow hipped girls jump better, but how about when she matures a bit and gets a little muscle on that body. Will that help?

windspirit

On the Ice
Miki_tan, thanks for the translation. And welcome. :)

As for the 12-year-old girl, I'm with those who say it's 1. too early, 2. I'd like to see young skaters concentrate on presentation and their overall skating than on the 3a (not to mention quadruple jumps...). But the reality is that you're going to get noticed faster if you try some of the more difficult jumps. I just hope their coaches know the risk. I sure wouldn't want to see another girl getting hip surgery at 16.

Not one praise from the Sasha Board which I read about the little tyke. All had reservations on the 12 year old Japanese girl. Why not? That's their perogative.

Apparently, there were no interruptions of newscasts to announce this feat a la Tara. And not the joy of Oksana taking over Nancy, two footed jumps and all. But let's keep in mind, little girls can win over the judges. But will they accept little girls from another continent? We'll see.

Joe

Verbalgirl77

On the Ice
I'm actually much more impressed with her artistry than I am with her jumping. It would be nice if she puts more emphasis on her artistry & choreography next season, as opposed to adding more triple jumps. I think her presentation is great for a skater at that level.

I hope puberty is kind to her.

kzarah

Le Patineur et sa Petite Lulu
On the Ice
I am impressed. I hope this pushes others to do more difficult jumps and combos. I know she cheats her landings. Her tech. scores reflect. As far as jumping becoming more difficult when she grows, she may be close to her adult height now. Look at Asian gymnast. The don't get very tall. The jumps will clean up in time. One thing I will say is that they is a lot coming out of Asia these days and it's about time.
Daniel and Little Lulu

shine

Record Breaker
Jumps will not "clean up" in time if you didn't learn the right technique in the beginning.