12 year old doing 3axel | Page 2 | Golden Skate

12 year old doing 3axel

toutestgrace

Rinkside
I'm with you Shine. I think it's pretty risky to let a kid get comfortable with the 'muscle memory' of poor jump landings. She needs to train her body and blades to complete jumps before they hit the ice.

kzarah

Le Patineur et sa Petite Lulu
On the Ice
The technique on the jumps is correct just under rotated. At first when I skated, all my jumps had cheats on the landing. One day I woke up and they were all clean. Sometimes during a competition the cheat will come back. A skater thinks better a cheat than a fall. Do we know that these jumps are never clean in practice?
Daniel and Little Lulu

kzarah

On the Ice
Grandmother I do read my messages. Did I miss something?
Daniel and Ltttle Lulu

lavender

Record Breaker
Never get excited about the young skaters as much anymore. I like them but I'll wait til they hit puberty and have better technique before I start crowning them. I mean Michelle can't do all that stuff but she had good technique at 12 and it only got better. It's no wonder she's been so consistent.

Also who knows if she will be injured or something by the time she gets bigger from doing even harder jumps so early before developing.

Last edited:

peachstatesk8er

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Not one praise from the Sasha Board which I read about the little tyke. All had reservations on the 12 year old Japanese girl. Why not? That's their perogative.

Apparently, there were no interruptions of newscasts to announce this feat a la Tara. And not the joy of Oksana taking over Nancy, two footed jumps and all. But let's keep in mind, little girls can win over the judges. But will they accept little girls from another continent? We'll see.

Joe

I think Midori was very well accepted.

As for acceptance and praise on a Sasha board, why do you even care what they think? Kudos to them for being wise enough to recognize this girl isn't all that and a bag of chips....yet....maybe never. Here's hoping someone helps her clean up those jumps otherwise she'll be finished before she's gone very far. Cheats are never impressive IMO.

Lavender, ITA.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I had seen this down-load before. What did impress me was her presence and nice straight back. She reminded me a bit of a young Kristi Yamaguchi..........42

Lavender - The only time I visit another Board is when someone puts a link in their reply. I didn't know it was the Sasha Board. I was looking for some commentary on how she skated.

I would like to see her skate and make up my own mind but will I?
The Japanese ladies also have a storehouse of highly potential medalists, and will this girl be shown on American TV if she doesn't make the Worlds?

Probably not, so I leave my judgement until I do see her.

Joe

thvudragon

On the Ice
peachstatesk8er said:
I respectfully disagree. If she cannot make a full rotation now, then she will have an even harder time when she gets a bit bigger.
:confused: I'm wondering how you make this assumption. You are saying that it's almost impossible to start fully rotating your jumps? I'm mystified as to how you could come to this conclusion.

Anyway, very nice for a 12 year old. She needs to fix that deep flutz though.

TV

kzarah

On the Ice
If you have to be at least 16 years old to compete in the Olympics, then she will not be eligible until 2010. Also, I know that in China you are said to be one year old the day that you are born. I don't know if this is just the Chineese or an Asian thing. If it is an Asian thing then she is really 13 years old.
Daniel and Little Lulu

lavender

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Lavender - The only time I visit another Board is when someone puts a link in their reply. I didn't know it was the Sasha Board. I was looking for some commentary on how she skated.

I would like to see her skate and make up my own mind but will I?
The Japanese ladies also have a storehouse of highly potential medalists, and will this girl be shown on American TV if she doesn't make the Worlds?

Probably not, so I leave my judgement until I do see her.

Joe

Sorry Joe but you got the wrong person. I didn't mention Sasha's board. It was peachstatesk8er.

Babyskates

Rinkside
I think she's great! She's only 12 and she is already a beautiful skater. She skates with wonderful speed and joy that makes her fun to watch.

She's got a lot of work ahead of her. Her "triple" axel is really nearly a full turn short but she has a beautiful double axel that is clean (rare at that age) and some nice triples. I know, I know, her 3-3-3 combination goes from bad to worse but she has cat feat and stands everything up. Truly what she is attempting seems to be above her head right now and I wouldn't want my child to compete with elements that are so iffy. Maybe she normally skates cleaner - she had to have special permission to participate at senior Nationals so they must be impressed with her.

I've seen kids start out with big cheats and clean up their jumps with time and training. How many pre-juvs have cheated double jumps then clean them up by the time they are juveniles? It's rare to see a truly clean triple from an intermediate but they sure look better as they get to novice. Certainly, kids do clean their jumps up as they progress. For many, that is how the process goes: get them landed and then clean them up.

Anyway, I hope this little one stays healthy and continues to progress. I'm rooting for her!

mzheng

Record Breaker
For all these 3/3, 3A and quad talking .... I always feel bemused...

On one side, if a femal skater can't get these big jumps done at a very young age, it is unlikely they will get them done consistantly later with their matura body.

So fans are all so exited when seeing a young teeny girl can do all these big jumps.

On the other side, will they keep these big jumps after the puberty with a more matured body? And even if they still have them after the puberty, but with a matured body and MORE WEIFHT will they get injured when they kept ponding their body?

She is 12 or 13 now, how weight is she now?

BTW, Seems no one mentioned that in clip her speed is really, really slow.

peachstatesk8er

On the Ice
thvudragon said:
:confused: I'm wondering how you make this assumption. You are saying that it's almost impossible to start fully rotating your jumps? I'm mystified as to how you could come to this conclusion.

Anyway, very nice for a 12 year old. She needs to fix that deep flutz though.

TV

It's basic physics. The bigger you get and the more you weigh, the harder it is to rotate. Height also comes into play, but you can't control that factor. You can control weight. Why else do you think ladies are encouraged to keep their weight low, low, low? Tonya only landed her 3A when she was on the low end of her weight.

MZHeng, I agree.