Is Yu-Na Kim doomed for the worlds? | Golden Skate

Is Yu-Na Kim doomed for the worlds?

netnuts

Match Penalty
Yu-Na Kim's condition does not sound very promising.
http://yunaforum.com/index.php?showtopic=269&pid=2583&st=0&#entry2583

Yuna will go through a re-examination at 21th of this month to figure out the exact state of her body and the progress so far...

Yuna hasn't been skating since 31th, last month, because of pain in the hip joint.
The doc diagnosed her case as below:
Her left hip joint ligament became wider, and hip muscles swelled out. She's keen on competing at Worlds concentrating on 6-hour-long treatment & rehab per day.

But, the situation is different from the disk & tailbone injury at the year-end of 2006. This time, she cannot skate on the ice until the hip joint ligament gets narrower, so this is the factor that causes worry.

feraina

Record Breaker
I think that's right, Yu-na has been off ice since Jan. 31, and the earliest she could re-commence is after her next diagnosis this Thursday, if all goes well. She has lost three weeks of training time already. But she'll have four more to get back into shape.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The problem is she cannot push herself to get back in shape again, because the injury could recur.

I wonder if the problem with the ligament wasn't due to overpracticing the loop jump. It is the one jump that Yu-Na hasn't be able to land consistently, and she was said to be working on it this season.

The loop is particularly hard on the hip. Overpracticing the 3L+3L is what caused permanent damage to Tara Lipinski's hip.

feraina

Record Breaker
Maybe she should take out the 3loop for the WC. After all, she had a monster score at GPF while falling and under-rotating the 3loop! If she just substituted with a 2A, she'd be just fine. What with the strict edge and UR calls this season, and the emphasis on speed in PCS, the rules are really favoring her skating right now. She doesn't need a 3loop to be competitive with Mao, whose own 3T is always iffy anyway -- and certainly she's already heads and shoulders above the rest.

After WC, she can just re-evaluate her situation, maybe get surgery, try to let her hip heal completely, and then decide whether she wants to bring back the 3loop.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
well, yu-na is very talented and even with a few jump mistake could still win the titile. If i were Brain Orser I would make sure that her focus is not on winning this year, and take out the 3 loop of her LP. It is hard to say what jumps she will be able to do after all the off ice time, and her stamina will probably be affected, but I think that yu-na in between skating is enough to at least keep her on the podium again.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Well, there are two ways to look at this... she's doomed if she can't get ready for this year's worlds - if that's her only value...

Or - she's blessed in that she can take the rest of the season off, get the medical care she needs, get healthy and be in prime shape for the the all important pre-olympic year...

Or - she's truly blessed that she's being forced to take time off now, so she can skate later and then go on to have a pain-free life once she hangs up her skates...

If nothing else its something to think about...

oleada

Record Breaker
Maybe she should take out the 3loop for the WC. After all, she had a monster score at GPF while falling and under-rotating the 3loop! If she just substituted with a 2A, she'd be just fine. What with the strict edge and UR calls this season, and the emphasis on speed in PCS, the rules are really favoring her skating right now. She doesn't need a 3loop to be competitive with Mao, whose own 3T is always iffy anyway -- and certainly she's already heads and shoulders above the rest.

Slight correction - her loop wasn't underrotated, at least, it was not called as such.
Link

I can't see Yu-Na missing Worlds. I just hope she's healthy enough to skate well so we can have a great competition between her and Mao.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Yes, She doesn't need a loop.

Looking at her protocols, she can backload one of her jump combinations and easily exceed her marks she got in GPF. She could have moved up a single 3lz in the second half to the first half and replaced it with 3lz-2t-2l combo from the first half.

What did she get for 3loop in the end? 2points in the GPF.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, She doesn't need a loop.

I agree! If Yu-Na were able to compete, she wouldn't need a 3loop. She has historically been a much stronger SP skater than Mao and her technique is much better than Asada's too. The only jumps Mao consistently lands clean and with proper technique are 3flip and 3loop. The Salchow is nonexistent, the Lutz is a very noticeable flutz, the toe loop is often underrotated or two-footed, and the 3Axel can be hit or miss.

Yu-Na could do:

3flip+3toe = 9.5
3Lutz = 6.0
3flip =5.5
-----after 2 minute mark-----
2Axel+2toe+2loop = 6.93
3Lutz+2toe = 8.03
3Salchow = 4.95
2Axel = 3.85

This layout would give her 44.76 base points on the jump elements. Her layout with the completed 3loop is worth 45.45 base points. She only received 2 points for the 3loop that she fell on in the GPF plus a mandatory minus 1 point in the overall score for the fall. The 3loop is not worth the risk for her unless she is sure she can do it. I really hope her health allows her to compete!

Last edited:

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Gosh, I'd rather her miss Worlds completely than risk a permanent injury, or one that would take a substantial portion of next season to heal and rehab. She had a great season this year. I know she'd hate to miss Worlds, but competing could be a big risk, even if she takes out the loop.

feraina

Record Breaker
there is plety of time for her to heal before the Worlds, but
there is not plenty of time for her to practice for the Worlds.

That's a lot better than last year anyway. At least she won't skate in pain.

She seemed very fit and trained before the injury, and she's so far ahead of everyone besides Mao, that I think she should still get at least a silver. Plus she wouldn't be under as much expectation/pressure, whereas Mao will be. So let's see...

equestrianguy

On the Ice
"Gosh, I'd rather her miss Worlds completely than risk a permanent injury, or one that would take a substantial portion of next season to heal and rehab. "

My thoughts exactly!! I think she should get herself healed and look towards her ultimate goal.....the Olympics... I think too many skaters push themselves before they are completely ready physically...

feraina

Record Breaker
I think she should get herself healed and look towards her ultimate goal.....the Olympics... I think too many skaters push themselves before they are completely ready physically...

I agree with that.

In Yu-na's case, Brian Orser commented before she went back to Korea something along the lines of: this time she realizes that she cannot just push through an injury, because if she does that, she'll really hurt herself in the long term. That sounded like to me an implicit hint that in the past she HAS pushed through injuries, and did hurt herself. This was before Yu-na left Canada though. Since then, even though the doctor hasn't ok'ed her getting back to training, she's already gotten back on twice to test the ice. Was that wise? Wouldn't it have been better at least to wait for Thursday's diagnosis?

I kinda hope that Brian Orser can be united with Yu-na as soon as possible, whether in Canada or in Korea, because he's not only another expert eye, but also he seems like a really caring person who can be an authoritative figure around to prevent Yu-na being influenced by eager fans/federation/agents to rush back into her training. Much as Brian would want to see her back on ice, he seems like a really intelligent and considerate person, who'd never allow Yu-na to be hurt for short-term gains.

Ms.Anthrope

On the Ice
In Yu-na's case, Brian Orser commented before she went back to Korea something along the lines of: this time she realizes that she cannot just push through an injury, because if she does that, she'll really hurt herself in the long term. That sounded like to me an implicit hint that in the past she HAS pushed through injuries, and did hurt herself. This was before Yu-na left Canada though. Since then, even though the doctor hasn't ok'ed her getting back to training, she's already gotten back on twice to test the ice. Was that wise? Wouldn't it have been better at least to wait for Thursday's diagnosis?

I don't think we're in the position to ask if this was wise or not since we really don't know how YuNa is feeling. It doesn't sounds like YuNa was doing any kind of jumps that would injure further.

It certainly sounds like YuNa & her team are approaching her injury completely differently this time. She did skate through pain most of 2006 & I think received a painkiller injection right before her SP at the GPF or Worlds (not sure which one). This time, they are attacking the issue before it getst out of hand.

She was probably under enormous pressure from the Korean federation to skate at 4CC but decided not to, which shows that they are putting her long term health before the demands of her fans or the federation.

feraina

Record Breaker
I don't think we're in the position to ask if this was wise or not since we really don't know how YuNa is feeling. It doesn't sounds like YuNa was doing any kind of jumps that would injure further.

Since there were multiple reports pointing to the Thursday medical exam as being really critical for determining the state of progress of her recovery, and the prognosis of whether she will be fit to train for the WC, I was just wondering what the purpose was of doing on-ice practice sessions without knowing the state of her injury.

What it obviously did was to calm the fans, the media, and the public, and raise hopes that she will indeed compete.

In terms of her training, she will lose three weeks of serious training in any case, getting a couple of light sessions in which to only work on her footwork and choreography won't make a big difference anyway.

In terms of aiding her recovery, it can't have been helpful (exercising injured joints or muscle in extreme cold can't be good for her, even if she's not doing extremely difficult moves.)

In terms of getting some sense of how her recovery is going, that's pretty useless as well, when balanced against the risk of further injury. In any case, she wouldn't be ok'ed to train seriously until the Thursday exam. If the doctor says ok no problem, then she can go straight to the rink on Thursday to work on her footwork/choreography, or maybe even jumps -- it makes little difference to her training whether she did those couple of light sessions earlier. If the doctor says no, that's a bad idea, rest for a few more days/weeks, then "oops", maybe the Monday/Tuesday practices made things worse.

She was probably under enormous pressure from the Korean federation to skate at 4CC but decided not to, which shows that they are putting her long term health before the demands of her fans or the federation.

The difference is that she was still in Canada! And Brian Orser had a lot more authority on the matter. He said in interviews as much as he wanted her to go to 4CC, he felt it was better for her to rest, since she shouldn't push through the injuries this time, etc. Now with Yu-na in Korea, Brian has a lot less authority and the Korean federation, the media, the fans, etc. have a lot more influence. Yu-na is probably constantly encountering fans who are wishing her well and hoping she can compete. She would feel a lot more disappointed if she can't come through with this.

Of course, as a fan I hope that everyone involved has her long-term health as a top priorities. Hopefully she will ride through this whole ordeal all right.

netnuts

Match Penalty
Kim

Yu Na Kim should go to the worlds as long as her body allows. Who knows how many years or months she'll be able to compete with a fragile body of multiple injuries.

At least Mao is very healthy.

turtle

On the Ice
Yu Na Kim should go to the worlds as long as her body allows. Who knows how many years or months she'll be able to compete with a fragile body of multiple injuries.

At least Mao is very healthy.

Your comment sounds so callous. If you're a true figure skating fan, you should have some compassion and respect for these hard-working athletes. Knowing that you'll be happy as long as someone 'crashes YuNa' (in your own words), I may be expecting too much. I wish you would contain your hostilities to yourself rather than express them so frequently on this board.