Plushenko Will Return | Golden Skate

Plushenko Will Return

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
IIRC, he has said before that he planned to return earlier -- but then he had surgery which sidetracked the comeback.

I'll believe it if I see it.

He's kept in shape by doing exhibitions. He sure to get a medal at Worlds 2009 and ensure Russia with 3 skaters for the Olys. He will intimidate the judges as he has done before.

Joe

Kasey

Medalist
He actually hasn't kept in great shape, he's packed on some pounds that have been obvious to anyone who's seen him in those exhibitions (where he's performed a 3T or two here and there). He also still is holding out on a surgery (knee, I think) that was supposedly the reason he didn't come back THIS year. He would have to finish second at 2009 Worlds to ensure 3 men for the Olys (if he's the only skater from Russia there). And this is the third (? fourth?) time he's said he's coming back to eligible, which we haven't seen yet.

I'll stick with Missouri on this one.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He also still is holding out on a surgery (knee, I think) that was supposedly the reason he didn't come back THIS year.

OMG, are you serious? He STILL hasn't had his knee surgery? That makes zero sense to me . . . why hold out on one's health? :confused:

Mafke

Medalist
In retrospect the impression I have from his programs in Torino was that he was sacrificing everything (choreography, program structure, spin and footwork quality) just to be able to get the jumps (and still, didn't he double something?)

His style of skating with lots of quads will basically destroy the body of the skater (another reason to hate quads) and I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did. I really doubt that a) he'll come back to any eligible competition b) he'll be able to medal.

As much as the judges love him (why?) I don't think they'd be able to get him onto the podium.

I don't blame Plushenko for the talk, I blame that soviet style thinker Piseev for coming up with another soviet style plan (let's not actually build a program, let's just milk the few stars we have left for all they're worth) for a soviet style goal (olympic glory! who cares if we have a real program as long as we can look good there!)

I really wish he'd just do show that he's comfortable with and make a lot of money that way.

Medusa

Record Breaker
He doubled the Flip...

When you take a look at the protocols from the Olympics you see that he wasn't as superior as everybody thought - I think all the other skaters were just intimidated. Plushenko had an extremely front-loaded program, just minor jumps and no combo in the second half. At the Olympics the other skaters messed up the long or the short - Plushenko got both done. And of course he got inflated scores (- just my humble opinion, his olympic free is a bore compared to programs during the Yagudin-time).

But just a few weeks later at the World-Championships Lambiel and Joubert skated two great free programs with two Quads each, Lysacek had a rather clean free with one Quad... Plushenko profited from Joubert's crisis, the fact that Lambiel and Takahashi were a bit too young and nervous, that Lysacek just couldn't shake off the habit of self-destroying in the short - and that nobody really understood COP like Takahashi does now.

I don't think he will make a comeback. And he shouldn't. 1999 till 2002 he had three glorious years battling Yagudin, he was king for the next 2 years and managed to stay healthy enough to outskate everyone at the olympics. He should be satisfied with that.

scorekeeper

On the Ice
I will believe it when I see him start competiting in the Grand Prix series and other competitions!!

Ditto. Piseev should just bite the bullet and work on building a strong team with the talent pool he currently has. Even if Plushenko does return, how much longer can his body hold out? Especially if he keeps postponing surgeries he should have had ages ago?

skatergirl45

On the Ice
I'll also believe it when i see it.

However, I don't understand him. He has his Olympic gold, his world titles, why should he come back 3-4 years later. He will not be able to do what he used to do. Lambiel has the edge on him in spins, Daisuke on presentation, and Brian on jumps, and Tomas, Evan, Johnny, and Jeff are all still in the mix. There is no way he could beat all of them.

Does anyone know how many jumps he has now?
We know of the 3 toe(as posted above) but what else can he do???

Mafke

Medalist
However, I don't understand him. He has his Olympic gold, his world titles, why should he come back 3-4 years later.

Well I'm sure he won't. But since the collapse of the professional-eligible distinction there hasn't been any special reason why a skater who's retired from eligible competition shouldn't mention they're "considering" competing again. Given how unknowledgable the press is about skating, it gives them something to talk about.
This is why Plushenko, Cohen and even Sarah Hughes(!!!!!) will still talk as if she might try for another olympics.

decker

On the Ice
OMG, are you serious? He STILL hasn't had his knee surgery? That makes zero sense to me . . . why hold out on one's health? :confused:

He already had a miniscectomy on one knee last summer or early fall. In any event, it was discussed on various boards at the time, and I remember a link to a post-surgery news article . Did he need the other knee done?

Susan

Despite the lackluster performance at the last Olys which he won, it completed his goal. Why would he want to risk another Olys? Only Piseev would demand such. Can Evgeni not say NO to him and just rest on his laurels?

I'm all for a skater deciding when to move-on. - not some past bigwig. If he skates the competitions because he truly wants to, I am ok with that.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
what's up with all yesterday's stars wanting to return? is it too difficult for some of them to even consider that their competitive days might be OVER? sheesh.

^ I think they are looking at the pipsqueaks coming along behind them and saying, "You've got to be kidding! I can beat that standing on my head!" ;)