Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Matt Savoie at 2002 Worlds

+ Medalist +
    All in all - if I understand it correctly, the judging system we're talking about is completely relative. Which means that you can't compare a routine from one competition to one from another. You can only compare routines within a competition (and of course still criticise the results).
    Sure. I think that's all people are curious about. I don't think we're comparing routines from different comeptitions. I only pointed out the awards he's won beacuse it was mentioned that Matt would never come close to getting on the podium at international events without a quad.

So to find out if Matt's judging was fair you would have to list every routine from the one finishing 1 to - let's say 15 or 20 - to decide if it's correctly judged. And then set yourself in the position of judges who are advised to be able to fit in about 10 still coming skaters at the point when they're judging Matt Savoie... Of course the whole rest could have become splatfest and then perhaps Matt's marks should have been the highest in the free program (even though they're relatively low) - but iirc it wasn't a splatfest, was it?
    I think people who are familiar with Matt's skating and the quality of it are surprised to see that he a) skated a clean LP and b) received the low placements/ordinals that he did.

I think Matt fans are naturally curious about how the skaters that placed ahead of him performed, though I understand that judges have to leave room for them. Still, a lot of skaters were placed ahead of him, so we're wondering how they performed.

There's kind of delayed reaction to this whole thing, because his performance wasn't broadcast here. We knew he finished 12th, but we didn't see how he performed to earn that placement. It was a gem of a performance for him and I guess I wish he'd gotten a little acknowledgement for it, but he didn't. Not even a 5-minute slot on ABC. ::grumble grumble::

Obviously he doesn't deserve to win or medal coming from 14th place, but a top 10 overall placement for a LP performance and program of that caliber would have been a nice thing for him.

Custom Title
    Let´s hope that Savoie will succeed in both short and long programme next season. That will put him on a much better place. If one is 14th after the short programme, an excellent freeskate (without any quads) will only help somewhat in the final results.

Marjaana

+ Medalist +
    Right. He missed his 3x in the SP. Not having a quad definitely hurts him most in the SP and by missing it, it just killed him in terms of program difficulty and (deservedly) had him low in the standings. It is difficult to come back after a SP placement that low.

Custom Title
    I really like Matt and I kind think the judges like him too but he’s going to have to do a quad for them to take notice of him. Unfortunately that’s what he’ll need with all those triples. I don’t think he should have been ahead of Tim this time. I think the top 3 were correct but there’s a big argument to be made at the fact that Tim should have a World championship under his belt so this time there’s no way Matt should have passed Tim and I do think Matt has better carriage and all that but Tim was on that day. Glad I’m fond of both skaters.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    No one's saying Matt should've placed above Goebel. I was just very shocked that with a performance like that he didn't finish any higher. If a skate like that only earned him a 11th place finish in the LP, not having seen all the skaters from 5-10 I could only assume it must have been one great competition with every skater having a skate of their life. Yet berthes ghost's list of Dambier's elements suggests he was far from perfect with only 5 triples and a quad sal, but he was placed ahead of Savoie's flawless program nevertheless. If I didn't believe that quads are all that matter before, I don't think I have a choice now.
    Last edited by shine; 08-11-2003 at 05:05 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2