Why do many olympic ladies champions have a K in their names? | Golden Skate

Why do many olympic ladies champions have a K in their names?

ks777

Record Breaker
Katarina Witt
Kristi Yamaguchi
Oksana Baiul
Tara Lipinski
Shizuka Arakawa

Exception of Sarah Hughes, they all have K(s) in their names.
Do you think someone having a K in their name will win the next Olympics?
Here are the list of skaters with K in their names.

Caroline Kostner
Kimmie Meissner
Miki Ando
Yuna Kim
Yukari Nakano
Kiira Korpi

do you think we'll have the next Olympic champion from the list?

Just like how every lades world champion has a 'K' in their name.
Wow, I never noticed that before. You have to go all the way back to Lu Chen in 1995 to find one that doesn't.

I guess Mao Asada is doomed after all. ;)

dizzydi7

On the Ice
It is rather compelling, however, using that theory Michelle Kwan should have been a shoe-in.

Dizzy

ks777

Record Breaker
It is rather compelling, however, using that theory Michelle Kwan should have been a shoe-in.

Dizzy

In 2002, I think either Slutskaya or Kwan was supposed to win but you never know.. maybe Sarah Hughes is to get married to someone with a K in his last name and take his name.

In 2002, I think either Slutskaya or Kwan was supposed to win but you never know.. maybe Sarah Hughes is to get married to someone with a K in his last name and take his name.
Yes, but Cohen was the teenybopper to win that Olys but it went to the least likely teenybopper Hughes

A better topic would be why do so many teenyboppers in the Ladies division win the Olys? Shizuka was the exception because Mao was not permitted to skate in the Olys. I think Mao would have won that.

Joe

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Idk, but the winners listed in the OP all have "a's" and "i's", too, so perhaps that will help narrow the field :laugh::laugh: ... I'll go with Yu Na. ;)

I guess this gives a huge advantage to Daisuke Takahashi (two k's) over Stephane Lambiel, Brian Joubert, Tomas Verner, Johnny Weir, Nobonari Oda, Jeffrey Buttle -- with Evan Lysacek and Patrick Chan in line for silver and bronze. :)

Snowgirl

On the Ice
For men it's better to have U - Urmanov, Kulik, Yagudin, Plushenko... Then we still have Daisuke, plus Joubert, Buttle and Nobunari Oda :)

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I remeber when the top ladies in the U.S all had the "K" sound.

Kwan
Cohen
Kirk

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Interesting...hmm, Karen Magnussen - World and Olympic silver champion. However, Barbara Anne Scott - no K in her name!

capcomop

Rinkside
Idk, but the winners listed in the OP all have "a's" and "i's", too, so perhaps that will help narrow the field :laugh::laugh: ... I'll go with Yu Na. ;)

I think the odder thing is what Rally noticed. The last FOUR ladies OGL medalists have all had names that end with the 'ah' sound (at least for American English speakers). Oksana, Tara, Sarah, Shizuka. Except for Kristi you could go back Katarina also.
So for next games, I gotta' go with YunA(h) Kim :rofl:
Sasha just got out "ahhhhhh'ed" in 2006 :laugh:

Wrlmy

Medalist
I think the odder thing is what Rally noticed. The last FOUR ladies OGL medalists have all had names that end with the 'ah' sound (at least for American English speakers). Oksana, Tara, Sarah, Shizuka. Except for Kristi you could go back Katarina also.
So for next games, I gotta' go with YunA(h) Kim :rofl:
Sasha just got out "ahhhhhh'ed" in 2006 :laugh:

Man, Irina had both ah and k thing going on! So all three medalists at Turin had ah and k sound! Can skaters change their names by 2010? Say..Moa Kasada and Joanna Rocket?

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Wow, I never noticed that before. You have to go all the way back to Lu Chen in 1995 to find one that doesn't.

I guess Mao Asada is doomed after all. ;)

And before Lu Chen, you had Kristi ('91 and '92); Oksana; and Yuka. Now you know why Surya lost.