Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Point Your Toes, Please

Haven't seen her for ever so long. I wonder if she is still skating?

Granny - Katherine Healy does skate often with the NY Ice Theatre. She still has that beautiful line, all the double jumps and combos, the perfectly placed spins and, that great flow over the ice. A pleasure to watch if you enjoy the Art of Figure Skating.

Joe

I just love watching her. Boy, if I could just go to NYC!!!

SkateFan4Life
    Katherine Healey married coach Peter Burrows a while ago. She was one of the most beautiful ballerina-skaters I've ever seen.
    An absolutely perfectly extended free leg, great spirals and spins.
    Had Katherine devoted all of her energies to figure skating, who knows how great a skater (i.e. titles) she may have become!!

Extinction is Forever 4dogknight's Avatar
    I agree non pointed toes definately get on my nerves, especially when it's one of the elite group. One would think that by the time a skater gets to this group pointing of the toes would be automatic.

Turn-out
    The following is the definition of Turn-Out from the ABT (American Ballet Theater):
    This is the ability of the dancer to turn his or her feet and legs out from the hip joints to a 90-degree position. This turn-out, or en-dehors, is one of the essential principles of the classical dance, giving the dancer freedom of movement in every direction.
    The key words here are freedom of movement in every direction. The supporting leg must be turned out as well as the free or extended leg. And this segues into what else that drives me right up a wall. I’ve been noticing, and wincing, the beginning and ending poses of skaters who use the skater’s equivalent of the Cou de Pied position and wind up with the foot of the free leg perpendicular to the ice. To those skaters I say, get that heel down.
    Here’s a link to a picture of the correct Cou de Pied position and although it shows the position in pointe shoes, you’ll get the idea.

http://www.abt.org/education/dictionary/index.html
    (scroll down on the left side to the Cou de Pied Position and click to display the photo)

One other thing before I get off my soap box, dangling thumbs. I realize this is a nit but it does get on my last nerve. Why can’t we have pleasant hand positions and finger positions? For example: in the 2000-2001 season I wanted to put duct tape on Sarah’s hands because I couldn’t take the dangling thumb in her Don Quixote routine. She was performing to highly recognizable music for a highly recognizable variation. This routine looked ridiculous with ‘jazz hands’. Although in her Fosse exhibitions the ‘jazz hands’ were most appropriate. Please don’t get me wrong, I’m only using Sarah’s 2000/2001 performances as an example; in this year’s World’s, her hand positions were pleasing – not perfect but more pleasing than in previous years.
    Of course there are other skaters whose hand positions are, IMHO, deplorable in relationship to the music and/or characters they are depicting so I guess I’ll just have to get used to wincing during their performances.
    Or should that be grin and bear it?

4dk
    Last edited by 4dogknight; 08-30-2003 at 01:15 PM.

How long till the new season?
    Writing thank-you notes to GS for their kind hospitality......
    As a kid/teen, I danced ballet for 6 years and was a majorette for 5. If I had a nickel for everytime my instructor or coach mentioned pointed toes, I'd be a rich lady now. I guess that has a lot to do with why this is a pet peeve of mine.

I think it's not just about the point of the toe (which does add a finished, polished look to the position), it's also about leg turnout. For example, look at Angela's, Sarah's, and Sasha's layback spins. Not only is the foot of the free leg pointed, the knee is turned out which, when combined with the arch in the back, creates a stunning position during the spin.

Examples of poor toe pointing/leg turnout include Viktoria Volchkova, Yoshie Onda, and Fumie Suguri, Elena Sokolova. I can't begin to count the number of times this past season I wanted to reach into the TV and reposition these gal's legs.

Skatcynic - Think about the turned out knee, too. When I was a kid, people would say, how can you point your toe with your knee turned in like that. Only good ballet lessons could fix that up. I emphasize GOOD.

Joe

How long till the new season?
    Writing thank-you notes to GS for their kind hospitality......
    Joe, that was my point . The knee turnout is just as important as the pointed toe - whether you're talking about a layback spin, a camel spin, or a spiral. When that knee is aimed at the floor instead of the side, the whole position is ruined. Then again, I guess you could make the same arguments about hand and arm positions, too.

Welcome to GoldenSkate, CynicElle!! Another Cynic in the group

-Cyn

skatecynic - Absolutely! Maybe the "club foot" effect is due to the turned=in knee which also kills the turned out toe. Oh these skaters are just waling through their ballet classes and not learning anything!

joe

*Passionate for Figure Skating* Ice Princess's Avatar

Point Your Toes, Please

I was recently told to point my toes when doing my backward spiral!

SkateFan4Life
    Sasha Cohen has beautifully extended feet, and her toes are pointed beautifully. Contrast that with Irina Slutskaya - no comparison!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2