Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dreamy/Screamy Lessons & Practices August 10-16

Salchows and Shimmies!!!
    Screamy: Me--the way I feel today. When I woke up this morning, the left side of my head felt like it was filled with cement--awful sinuses, headache. By the time I got my skates on at the rink I just felt like I didn't want to go out there, and I NEVER "don't want to skate!!!!"

Got out on the ice and warmed up a bit. Coach wanted to work on spinning again. I tried a few two foot spins, and the results were pathetically hilarious. They just wouldn't work--I stumbled, couldn't get my feet in, nearly tilted backwards a couple of times. She was astonished, because she said I was going into them just fine. I just felt awful, off balance and odd. Even just skating, period, was tough at first. My head felt like it was on another planet and I didn't feel balanced (Didn't help that I also desperately need a sharpening, too).

We worked on long entrance edge outside threes and on edges, and after a bit I started to feel better. Waltz jumps and sals were a little shaky at first, but they got better, and I did my sal/waltz combo pretty well. We were talking about the entrance to a sal and the one foot spin being similar, so I halfheartedly pushed off in to a one foot spin, and to my relief, spun a couple/three revs. When I came out of it, my head THROBBED for several seconds, so then I knew that the old sinuses were to blame. By the end of the session I could do gentle, slow two foot spins, so at least I'm relieved to know it was a sinus/balance issue, not me losing my precious spins!!!! I'm getting a badly needed massage this evening, then its a light dinner and off to dreamland for me. Work has been very stressful and I think I'm a bit run down. Luckily, I don't have much planned this weekend and have a long weekend break at home next weekend to rest and recover. I HATE WHAT THIS WEATHER IS DOING TO MY SINUSES!!!! Nearly 100% humidity and rain for over two weeks, and Allegra can only do so much. Its been a lousy summer weather wise.

Cinder: Chin up!!! You're amazing to me, skating with a cast. You're doing great--even when you think you're not!!

Rachel: Toe loops take time. I can do a basic one, but I've asked to go back into the harness to really get the feel of the "leap" and the push off better.

Singer: Whoo hoo on the jumps!!!

Have a good weekend, everybody!!!!

Skater Girl
    Dreamy -- The crossover problem has been solved. My posture has improved, I no longer drag like I used to, I'm smooth and secure. Coach and I were jumping up and down and hugging nd high-fiving; it was really funny.

Screamy -- Nothing.

In other news I got my standardized scores back for school and I'm going back to school in a few weeks...yuck!

Learning to Fly
    Screamy: Having trouble w/ motivation lately. When Tricia's with me, or when I know I'll see people at the rink that I know or like to talk to, then I'm fine, but today was a morning session w/ no music and everyone seemed grumpy and it was just hard to push myself. Which, I got to thinking, seems kind of bad, because my motivation to skate should come from within, right? Not from outside sources. I dunno. I'll have to think on this some more. Anyway I stayed an hour and 45 minutes. Tried to work on spins but I think I have a mental block on spinning or something. I'll have to ask Joy to work on this with me some more rather than just reviewing it very quickly. Plus I really want to pick my foot up and just make it a one-foot spin.... do I have to master it on two feet before I move to one? I just feel compelled to pick up my right foot. Hm. Oh yeah the Ina Bauers and spread eagles that I worked on Wednesday didn't come back today. My legs were sore from working out on Thurs... stupid elliptical machine, lol.

Dreamy: Worked on half flip and it's got more of a real "jump" feeling... still feel like I'm walking through it more than really attacking it, but it's okay. Worked on inside three turns and was happy with the progress I've made on them in just a week. Also I like not being the worst one at the rink anymore There are usually a couple people who are more beginners than I am now.

PS: Yazmeen you reminded me that I have a gift certificate for a massage that I need to do before I leave for school... oh how good that would feel on my sore legs & ankles! I'm with ya, sister

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL! Cinderella on Ice's Avatar
    Screamy - I had a very hectic day at work but, thank goodness, I made sure that I was "almost" on time for skating, because the Zamboni Guy hit the ice at 2:46 and usually he doesn't bother us until after 3:00.

Dreamy - But at least I got in 1 hr 20 mins of practice. For the first 20 mins I was the only person on the ice! After that, two other girls showed up, but they stayed waaaaay down at one end for most of the practice, so I was totally in heaven. Hubby came to videotape and I worked really hard and long on the spins that have been causing me centering problems this week. Mostly camel/corkscrew, camel/sit, sit.

I also worked out two rough patches of connecting moves where I discovered that my arms are just bouncing around like separate little Tiggers (sheesh). I did the sequences over and over to try to get "calm" arms. I think this is a key item for me to work on generally. It's why I'm often not fully balanced.

And I added something new that I've never done before called a Twizzle, which looks like a simple little twisty turn while you are skating, but it's oh-so-cool to the music. For example, you're skating backwards, doing crossovers, and you've got one leg just sort of stretched way out to the side to get your power. When you bring it back in, you kind of close up your whole body so it is one long straight line, arms at the sides, and you quickly revolve 180 degrees and then continue your crossovers. Very cool looking. Very deceiving and hard to do, because you must have everything aligned and not "throw" yourself into it. When I did it right, it looked great in the program. A little surprise element that adds interest.

Speaking of the program, I ran through it twice and was surprised that the second time was even better than the first. For the first time, I feel like MAYBE I am starting to get the hang of this Silver program! It really IS a situation of mind over matter.

All in all, I had quite the sweaty practice (when I reviewed the videotape, I kept thinking I needed a director to shout MAKE-UP and have that girl with the giant powder puff come out and pat me dry!

Today I'm heading off to some super sweaty racquetball and then my off-ice jump training and sport cord drills, followed by stretches. I have to start paying more attention to my hip "turning out" stretches because it's time to learn to do spread eagles on the ice.

Rachel - Congrats on becoming a "real" skater. You have now learned that skating and self-motivation require discipline. No matter how much you LOVE to skate, there are times when it is extremely difficult to push yourself to get in a fruitful practice (or to get out of bed and on the ice at all!). Even on my best days, I think I still get better practices in during my lessons than when I am alone. It's all in your head. You have to shut off the "I'm tired, I'm cold, I don't feel like doing this, I'm sore" voices. This is why I like writing in the skate journal, because I use it like it's a mandate of the things I must do. I just go down my list and start doing them, and I find that my attitude perks up and before I know it the Zamboni's on the ice and I'm thinking, shoot, I wish I had more time out here.

Lanie - Congrats on the crossover breakthrough. They are such an integral part of everything you do.

Yaz - Ugh, my head hurt just thinking about doing (of all things) spins while having a huge sinus attack. Glad you made it through o.k. and hope you are feeling much better today.

Icer - I hear you on the beauty of having the ice to yourself! Bet you were waltz jumping with abandon!

Starshine - School and new excitement are just around the corner--good luck! Thanks for stopping by here because you always brighten our days. You're going to be an awesome coach!

Learning to Fly
    As for the motivation thing: I was talking to my mom today and she reminded me that, duh, I really am still truly a beginner. I'm learning things fairly quickly (slower than some, but still pretty quickly) and I forget when I see some older adults who are at a similar level as me that they have been on the ice longer and have developed their own sort of routines and rhythms and discipline, whereas I haven't developed that yet. Does that make sense? I think it does. ANYWAY, I just wanted to share that thought. And also two more things that I forgot to add yesterday:

- I don't know if anyone remembers but a couple months ago I was complaining (and sort of wondering) about how there are very few upper level skaters at my rink... which I understand now is because I skate public sessions and there's a rink close by w/ only private ice. But I'd still like to see some really exciting skaters every now and then. Yesterday Ikaika Young ([url]http://www.usfsa.org/team/dance/younyoun.htm[/url]) was there giving a lesson, and he, along with his sister, got 8th at Nationals in dance last year (not sure why they didn't compete this year) and won Nationals in the novice division a few years ago. Anyway that was pretty cool - he was really fast, and I don't see people doing ice dance very often anyway, and he wasn't too hard on the eyes either . It was neat.

- I was visiting my grandma in the hospital last night (knee surgery - nothing serious) and in the elevator I remembered how I read somewhere about practicing your jumps while the elevator is going down. So I took off my purse and tried it - if only I could get that height on the ice! It was so fun. I was worried some doctor would come in though. Anyway you should try it if you can

Skater Girl
    Dreamy - I did some sit spins. They're coming along. The scratch said goodbye. I showed my friend Linda some stuff; like the mohawk into the salchow and mohawk into the waltz my coach is teaching me.

Screamy - I was doing a Charlotte spiral and I got out of it fine. Whew, I thought. I usually fall on those. And I lost my edge and crashed. On my hip. And oh my GOSH goes it HURT. I don't know if I should go to a doctor or not; I'm limping a little bit. I didn't break anything but I'm sure I bruised my hip bone, or at least did something really nasty. :( Should I go to the doctor? I'm afraid I'll get a blood test or something if I do, auugh. I'm such a baby.

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL! Cinderella on Ice's Avatar
    Lanie - Yowch. Sorry to hear about the nasty fall. Sometimes skating is like a jealous brat. Your mind drifts and you forget to pay it your full attention and BAM SLAM to the ground, it reminds you.

If you're truly thinking a doc is in order, I can tell you that the orthopedic docs do not routinely take your blood. They might, however, take x-rays. So if things aren't well in a day or so or you're really worried that you might have chipped or cracked something, get your butt (and your hip) over to an ortho doc. Don't let a fear of needles delay you in getting help for something that if treated incorrectly could stop you from skating forever!

On the other hand, if it is just a bruise, it will definitely hurt you for awhile, maybe even a week or more. So listen to your body and do what your stomach tells you is the right thing to do.

Rachel - your mom is a smart cookie. "They have been on the ice longer and have developed their own sort of routines and rhythms and discipline." That is exactly what I was talking about. The time to develop these good habits is now, while you are beginning. I went to a party last night where there were several adult skaters from my Friday afternoon practice. They were (nicely) saying how they all want to skate like me (I just happen to be the most advanced of us). But then they were talking about everyone's practice habits, and one of the girls admitted she's just a fluff skater, out to look pretty (her words). They talked about how "intense" (my word) I am when I practice. I'm friendly as can be, before & after practice, but during our $12 for 80 mins time, I am totally focused on my skating. They agreed that I often work harder than two of them combined, and I come out of practice all sweaty and disheveled, while they still "look good" and haven't really exerted themselves. They were saying how they realize that the only way for them to make improvements more quickly is to take their practices up a couple of notches. I was saying that they should do so only if they're motivated to—that's it's no crime to just get out and casually enjoy, but then that's why it has taken some of them three years to break through and learn a jump. It was a very interesting discussion of what we want to get out of our skating and doing the thing that's right for you. So that's something that you'll be deciding as you "mature" on the ice.

In the meantime, you've been very focused and made a TON of progress for such a short time. Make sure you keep reminding yourself of that (again, a journal could be helpful) and surround yourself with people who understand that and support you (like mom).

Hey, I've always been a little curious. How come Tricia never joins us on the board here?

Learning to Fly
    Cinderella - My friends and I laugh at Tricia for being internet-challenged; we'll email her and then ask her if she got it, and she'll tell us that her email account expired because she didn't access it for 30 days or something (this has happened more than once). Plus she doens't like to write. So that's why I can't get her to post here, but maybe I'll pick on her again .

Figure Skater Music Editor singerskates's Avatar
    Windsor, ON CAN, at WFCU Centre for Spring Skating School
    Originally posted by starshinexavier

Singer: Awesome news about your spiral and super huge jumps. Doesn't it just feel like you're flying now?

No, it doesn't feel like I'm flying yet. It just feels right and light. I rather like floating down to the ice. Still want to jump even higher so that one day I can do double jumps. Now when I can jump like Jeff or Elvis, that will be flying, probably when I'm in heaven but not on this earth. LOL

Saw how Jeff did at Summer Skate on the COS site. Too bad Elvis had to pull out. Hope he's feeling better soon.

Nope, never sliced my fingers to shreds yet. Hope I never will.

Everyone take care and quit hogging my ice. ROTFLOL It's mine, mine, mine, mine, all mine. LOL :D

OK, I'll share.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2