Great Movie Scores | Golden Skate

Great Movie Scores

nysk8r

Rinkside
The only great scores I can think of either have to do with an epic movie or something composed by John Williams. Does anyone know of some that have been looked over?

maxell1313

Rinkside
The whole score to the movie "The Red Violin". I loved this movie before Michelle used part of the score for her LP, so I was thrilled when I saw her skate to it in 2000.

icenut84

Final Flight
I love the score to Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.

(For those who don't know - a score is music that was written specifically for the movie. A soundtrack is the music used in a movie that was NOT written specifically, e.g. it is a list of songs that already existed.)

I also love the scores to several of the Disney films :)

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
There is a music score to an old Tom Seleck movie called "High Road to China"........the music is beautiful. I also thought that the music to "Pirates of the Carribean" would be powerful music to skate to........42

Verbalgirl77

On the Ice
John Barry & Maurice Jarre both do great movie scores. A lot of James Horner's & Danny Elfman's stuff is great too.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
ANYTHING John Williams puts his hands on becomes a masterpiece.... :)

MowgliGirl

Spectator
I could mention lots and lots.... But here's a few of my favourites:

Oscar & Lucinda (Thomas Newman)
Henry V (Patrick Doyle)
Sense & Sensibility (Patrick Doyle)
Great Expectations (Patrick Doyle)
Schindler's List (John Williams)
Far and Away (John Williams)
Gladiator (Hans Zimmer) ;)
The Godfather (Nino Rota)
The Last of the Mohicans (Trevor Jones)
Le fabuleaux destin d'Amélie Poulain (Yann Tiersen)
The Lord of the Rings; FOTR (Howard Shore)

Edited to add: Out of Africa!

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
"The Hours" - by Phillip Glass has become one of my all time favorites. Of course, all the Clint Eastwood "Spaghetti" Westerns with music by Enio Morricone are all hauntingly beautiful. The score from the "Princess Bride" by Mark Knopfler is wonderful. Then there are the Classics of course -

Rogers and Hammerstein
Rogers and Hart
Leonard Bernstein
Andrew Lloyd Webber

Also the music from the "Great Escape" by the great Elmer Bernstein who also composed the score for "To Kill a Mockingbird."

Henry V was mentioned here and also Hamlet both composed by Patrick Doyle.

There are just too many to list!

Icenut, I didn't know that about a "score" and a "soundtrack," thanks.

LAD, I was going to mention "To Kill a Mockingbird," too. Another outstanding score by Elmer Sernstein was "ramblin' Rose" -- a less famous movie, but a great score.

Mathman

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
My all time favorite soundtrack is probably Ennio Morricone's "The Mission". Such brilliant work! Perfect for the film, but more importantly it stands by itself as lyrical, moving music. Paul Wylie and Karen Kwan used it in two of their finest competitive programs.

Other great soundtracks:
"Rudy"
"Forrest Gump" (themes, not the one with all the 60s songs)
"West Side Story"
"The Time Machine" (the majority are skips...but there are some
that are fast and powerful)
"Requiem for a Dream"
"Legends of the Fall"
"Titanic" (I'm sorry, so cheesy I know, but I still find much of
of that soundtrack and its sequel so moving)

I'll also agree that "Henry V" and "The Hours" have some wonderful moments as well. And I almost always love anything that Andrew Lloyd Webber does.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
BronzeisGolden:

"The Mission" is Elvis' "signature" piece! I think it was his finest program. I would also love to see him skate to other Moriconne music such as "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" or "For a Few Dollars More." It would be awesome. Wonderful score by Ennio Morricone.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Ladskater,

Elvis skated to "The Mission"? Wow, I never knew that. Was it a competitive program or show number? It certainly would be interesting to see his interpretation of that music.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
BronzeisGolden:

It was a competitive program - long program - 1991-1992. It was awesome! The speed with which he covered the ice and used the music was wonderful. One of my favorites of all time. Everytime I listen to "the Mission" soundtrack, I think of Elvis.