Neighbors from hell advice! | Golden Skate

Neighbors from hell advice!

flying camel

Medalist
Guys I need serious advice. This is true but it sounds unreal. I don't know where it went wrong between me and my neighbors, but it has. It started out with them watching me, then me watching them. There is nothing I can do to patch things up. Things have gotten out of control. I just need some advice on what my next step should be.
I believe they have a listening device attached to my house someplace. Sometimes I hear transistor sounds, but I can't find it. When I leave for work they let their families know. Their families are following me in their cars. I have pulled over many times because I thought I was being followed. Well some how they have followed me to work. I have seen them parked outside of my job trying to follow me home. They wait at all my favorite spots and follow me around the neighborhood.
I have been to the police twice. They think I am crazy. They did not even bother to check out my story. One officer said it is not considered stalking unless the person approaches you. I am physically exhausted from the situation.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How old are your neighbors??

What would be their motive for bugging your house or bothering you??

Dee

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Can you confront them, ask them what the "heck" is going on? Tell them you've been to the police and will get a restraining order if you have to, that you will call an attorney and sue them for harrassment!!!!! Then, look for another place to live if possible...........Let us know what happens........42

flying camel

Medalist
These are ederly people. I guess I wasn't the friendliest neighbor when I moved in. They were always watching me do things around the house. So, I started watching them. They did not like it. I stopped watching them. Now, things have gotten out of control. I believe they have their family following me around to intimidate me. They are trying to make me move. I am just emotionally drained. So, any advice would be appreciated. When I told the story to the police one cop could not keep from laughing. But its not funny to drive around late at night with people following you around.

skatergirl45

On the Ice
Maybe talk to a lawyer???

I feel bad for you. My neighbors are certainitly nosy with comments such as "you left the house 4 times yesterday" but it is certainitly not as bad as your situation.

ToePick

Rinkside
Talking to them sounds like it might be a good start in most situations. If things are really as extreme as you say, I doubt it would be fruitful. Also, if you do talk to them, I would suggest having another person with you just in case. I know that you say they are older, but if they have the connections to get a transmitter put in your house or to have you followed, you need to be super-careful. Better to be safe than sorry, as the saying goes. Similarly, if you do not do so already, I would recommend keeping a cell phone with you at all times and maybe even using it as your primary means of communication.

Look for other housing options (especially if you rent, rather than own).

Finally, I would recommend talking to a lawyer. (S)he would be able to help you navigate the legal system, get a restraining order, send appropriately nasty letters, etc.

Good luck!!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I have had my share of the "neighbours from hell" situation and can sympathize with your plight. In fact, my husband always gets after me for snapping at our neighbours about anything. He says I get us in the "bad books" where ever we move. I am getting better though.

Are you living in a house or an apt. or a townhouse? Are you able to move? Sometimes it is the best solution. It's pretty hard to prove that your neighbours are stalking or following you.

It's kind of hard to imagine an elderly couple would be carrying on in such a manner. Could you speak to them and try to explain what happened?

Wish you the best. There is a web site called "neighbours from hell." I registered on it when I was having problems in an apt. I lived in. It kind of helped to correspond with others in the same spot.

Keep us posted.

flying camel

Medalist
I live in a house so it is not going to be easy to move. Its going to be hard to sell my house in his market. I could rent out my house if i comes to just moving on. I really don't have the funds to hire a lawyer. So, I m not sure about that.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Crazy neighbors, we all have had these. I've dealt with my crazy neighbors by ignoring them when they tried to pull me into their little games. But for you maybe it would be best to talk to them about what is going on. Maybe you did something to scare them and that is why they have involved their families. Not sure why these people have all that time to follow you around, but maybe they need a life. But they are making your life miserable so something should be done so you and they can live in peace. Do you have a homeowners association? If so there are guidlines for the community. If not you might need someone to mediate between the two of you. Just remember both of you deserve to be able to live in your home peacefully. Good luck.

Jhar55

Medalist
My first thought was also MOVE but unless your renting might not be pratical.
If they are following you and can prove it it's called stalking and can be arrested same if they are bugging your home. I'd call the police but you'll need proof carry a camera and take pictures.

heyang

Record Breaker
This behavior seems very extreme....

Do you have anyone who could follow 'them' following you? It may be your only way to prove to anyone that you are actually being followed.

Are they actually following you all the time? If it's only at night, it's easy to confuse one car with another. Are they actually following you from home to your destination and waiting for you to follow you home? Perhaps you should just start taking pictures with a time stamp to at least establish that they keep on showing up wherever you are going.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If it's gotten to this point, probably talking won't help, but it's worth a try. So is a fence, if feasible. My son had a neighbor from hell who used to go out and take photos of his trash and go through his trash. He never found out why, but it was creepy. The fence was useful. The neighbor felt more conspicuous if he had to go around the fence to peep, and so did less of it.

Perhaps you should hire someone to check your house out for listening devices? I'm not sure who does this. A detective perhaps? If such a device is found, then you have something to go to the police with. If they don't find anything, then you should feel better. Chances are, they didn't plant the bug themselves. They either hired someone or one of their relatives is in this sort of business. So be careful whom you choose to hire yourself.

Get a digital camera, or use your cell phone, to take pictures of the car(s) following you. Obviously, you want the license plate(s) in the photos.

My son rented his house and moved. Hire a real estate agent who specializes in rentals. He did, and it was the best decision ever. She got him the best tenants and helped him avoid a set of tenants that he would have accepted who were tenants from hell at their last rental--but the landlord did not say, because he wanted to get rid of the tenants. He made a glowing reference, but had initiated eviction proceedings. The agent tracked this down.

Good luck!

Johar

Medalist
Some of you have really creepy neighbors. Makes me even more blessed to have the great ones that I do.

Maybe video taping them (with the camera hidden) in action will help. That is jut downright creepy, Flying Camel.

Keep a written record of when they do what.

Do what heyang suggested and have someone follow them while they are following you.

I have a lawyer for a friend and I'll ask him what can be done.

flying camel

Medalist
Some of you have really creepy neighbors. Makes me even more blessed to have the great ones that I do.

Maybe video taping them (with the camera hidden) in action will help. That is jut downright creepy, Flying Camel.

Keep a written record of when they do what.

Do what heyang suggested and have someone follow them while they are following you.

I have a lawyer for a friend and I'll ask him what can be done.

Thanks Johar

megsk8z

On the Ice
Oh, boy I feel for you. I have neighbors that are less than stellar, but we just don't speak. These neighbors seem to like to fight in public, preferably on their front lawn, which is good for me, because when the cops come they're easy to find.

But seriously, the videotape suggestion sounds like a good one. Or you could go to the spy store and buy a couple of fake vid cams. Sometimes just the idea of being taped will deter some offenders.

Are you sure that things have gone beyond repair? I would take a friend and some homemade cookies to their door and (even if it's not your fault) tell them that you evidently displeased them and you are sorry you got off on the wrong foot. Then ask if there is something you could do to remedy the situation.

Failing in both of the above, I would go to rottenneighbor.com and see what suggestions they have. I would like to caution you, though, that they have NO mods and so some of the stuff on there is pure hooey. But it'll make you feel better. And start to document all dates and times of harassment. It'll give you a better case if you need one.

I wish you luck.