Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sarah Hughes to Skip Fall Season

Custom Title
    Originally posted by show 42
    I'll play the "devil's advocate" here and say she won't be returning to competition anytime soon (although skating in specials is still a possibility)........42
    Yeah. Count me in as another one don't see she will ever come back for top level eligible skating.

Good luck to her in her college life. As one of the elite level lady skater in US, I've always admired her more for her School work than her skating.

Tripping on the Podium
    I think this is the best decision for her and I commend her for going with education. I do expect we'll see her at Nationals, skating with zero inhabitions or expectations, but skating purely for the love of it. I hope she fares well in Yale. Best of luck, Sarah

SkateFan4Life
    Sarahseems to be a very level-headed young woman who knows what she wants -- and right now she's focused on her college education. I'm sure she'll be an honors student at Yale, and I hope she truly immerses herself in college life, studies hard, makes many lifelong friends, and has the time of her young life.

Sarah had the skate of a lifetime at Salt Lake City. When you win Olympic gold, there isn't much left to go after, I guess. I would love to see Sarah return to eligible competition at some time, but unless she really makes the firm decision to get into serious shape and train, she's not going to distinguish herself on the competitive level ever again.

If Sarah decides to skate professionally, that's OK, of course, but I just hope she's in good shape and doesn't come out there, obviously out of shape, and skate nothing but "simple" routines.

Medalist
    Hopefully she will have a good time at school. Time for her to move on in her opinion anyway. I can see how the drive just isnt' there for her, it's perfectly natural for her to want to experience a new part of life.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar

Sarah Hughes to Skip Fall Season

Sarah may never compete again. It's her life and her choice. I don't think she is through with skating; who knows she could end up teaching skating and maybe coaching an Olympic champion herself! Sarah may find the medical profession is not for her. She will always have skating to fall back on! Hey, who would not sign up for lessons with an Olympic champion?

Custom Title
    I wouldn't. I need someone who has good technique to teach me. Sarah's a nice girl but I wouldn't want to emulate her skating. Sorry.

SkateFan4Life
    I think Sarah is going to totally and completely immerse herself in her studies at Yale, and with all of the wonderful things that university has to offer - cultural events, clubs, new friends, etc.
    She will be taking a heavy course load, from what I've read, so she simply may not have any time to fit in serious figure skating training. Most likely she'll still find a few hours to visit the Yale rink to keep herself in reasonably good shape, but I would not expect to see Sarah in the kind of fighting shape she was in at Salt Lake City. She had really peaked for the Olympics, and did it ever pay off for her.

Custom Title
    All I can say is that I wish her luck with School. We may or May not see her skate at this level again. But, Whatever she does Good Luck.

Custom Title
    Sarah will do well at anything she does. She is an all around great person.

SkateFan4Life
    I agree with you. Sarah Hughes is a level-headed, intelligent young woman who knows what she wants to do, and I think she will be successful in her college studies and in her future professional endeavors.

Good luck, Sarah! Have a wonderful four years at Yale U.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2