JOHNNY talk about training with Tatiana | Golden Skate

JOHNNY talk about training with Tatiana

rachelstarlet

Rinkside
Thanks for the link! I can't wait to see Johnny's new program and it was interesting to read about his training... hope his season shapes up to his (and our) expectations.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Thanks for the link! It sounds that he is feeling very happy and ready for the coming season.

His footwork will be just great!!! An excerpt:

>When "Tarasova Footwork" comes to mind, everybody thinks Alexei Yagudin, and the short staccato steps and toepicks, but my footwork has more edges, more turns, some toe stuff, but a lot more extension and edge than Alexei's. I think its brilliant, but it should be because I've spent hours and hours on especially the steps! Anyway, I don't want to give too much away, but the program is really a work of art, and as a team, we all did a great job.>

I can hardly wait to see his "Valse Triste" programme... Weir is a hugely talented guy in presentation and if he now will be able to put all together in his programmes, he will be really awesome to watch. So far I have seen his skating only from 2001 Goodwill Games.

Marjaana

Last edited:

kirkyo

Rinkside
I was not aware of this coaching change, but Tarasova seems like a great match. But what I am most excited about is the change in attitude and work ethic. Wouldn't it be a nice story if last year's nationals disaster turned out to be the turning point in his career?

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Nice interview. A bit more insightgul than the stnadard interview fare.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
kirkyo said:
I was not aware of this coaching change, but Tarasova seems like a great match. But what I am most excited about is the change in attitude and work ethic. Wouldn't it be a nice story if last year's nationals disaster turned out to be the turning point in his career?

I´m not sure, but I think that this was just a temporary coaching change? Yes, he seems to have a very different attitude now.

Marjaana

mzheng

Record Breaker
A pair of ...

Now seems Tarasova gets a pair of American top skaters, both show good artistry presentation at young age and instable mental toughness in competetion as well.

I'm wondering all top skaters having mental block are seeking the help from Tarasova out. Before there were Ilia K., Alexie Y. both from Rusia. Now there are Sasha, Jonney both from US. Lol.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Artistry is definitely considered TT's strength. It's no wonder, therefore, that her coaching style apeals to the skaters who enjoy working on improving that aspect of their skating. Then, you an argue whether there is a link between good artistry and mental blocks.

CB1AB2

Medalist
He sounds really happy with the change. I hope it works out for him. Maybe this change is what he needed. I wish him all the best and look forward to seeing his new programs.

cb

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Another skater moves to "Camp Tarsasova". Amazing......maybe she can work her magic on him............42

heyang

Record Breaker
Actually, I'm curious as to why Sasha and Johnny chose Tarasova. They are both already artistic. Does she have a successful history of getting her skaters mentally prepared. When I think of most of her success stories, they were already well-seasoned technicians who needed artistic enhancement.

I believe Rgirl and others have mentioned that Tarasova still coaches without the use of full run throughs. I agree with them when they say it's important to practice performing with and without mistakes. When stopping becomes an automatic reflex, it makes it that much harder to react during a performance. It's important to learn how to continue after a fall or missed element.

Both Sasha and Johnny already have a bad habit of lapses in concentration after mis-steps. After 1993, Nancy Kerrigan realized the importance of full run throughs. Her Oly performances were one of the few times she had Both a clean SP & LP (except doubling the opening triple, but she didn't let it get her down).

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Oooh, I can't wait to see the short. I like edges - glad to see he hasn't fallen into the mold of the other Tarasova students with all the toe picking.

Interesting, though, how Tarasova chose the short music for Johnny. Clearly there's one person in charge!

April

Rinkside
Does anyone know about Weir's work ethic prior to Coach T? I find it amusing for her to pick the music; she's got him hooked. He has to earn her attention. She is no doubt going to select the outfits too. However, I love his new found confidence, yet I find it ironic that he "once" skated for others and now only skates for Coach T and self. Weir's style and grace is the measure. I question his direction toward Coach T. After nationals, on the surface, Weir seemed to need a "mental coach". Is coach T known for working out the psychological knots that skaters endure? Sasha's gaining confidence, but falters still. What do you think?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
> April
Is coach T known for working out the psychological knots that skaters endure? >

I remember that Yagudin needed the help of a Russian sports psychologist, but don´t know if he had him before the GWG 2001 competition already?

Marjaana

windspirit

On the Ice
Jaana said:
I remember that Yagudin needed the help of a Russian sports psychologist, but don´t know if he had him before the GWG 2001 competition already?
I don't think he did. From what I remember they decided to contact one after the GWG in 2001.

As for Tarasova helping someone emotionally, I just think she provides that kind of atmosphere some people need in order to succeed, and that is a warm and accepting, yet demanding one. There are people who thrive on that; they don't do well in a more businesslike atmosphere where their feelings don't get addressed. Some people do well in these conditions, others need that extra "human touch". Depends on their personality, I guess.

Btw, I remember seeing Tarasova watching Cohen from the stands just a few weeks after she came to Connecticut. And it was already there -- this overwhelming sense of acceptance, it just made me think: "She'll be loved." I think that Tarasova see a person before a sportsman and for some skaters it might be just "what the doctor ordered." She's also very demanding in her work and won't let them slack off. For some -- the perfect combination. I don't know about Cohen, but IMO Weir could use some of that. It worked great for Yagudin.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He didn't. I think contracting with Ruldolph was possibly because of the Goodwill games.

Dee