Kimmie and her new coach speak out | Golden Skate

Kimmie and her new coach speak out

dizzydi7

On the Ice
If this is true, and we really have no way of knowing if it is, then a lot of us were wrong in feeling that Kimmie was a good competitor. Apparently, she is just as vulnerable as anyone else. Personally, I think fixing a technical problem with a jump would be a lot easier that fixing a mental hang-up which she admits to having. I really hope she can skate well at Worlds but I have my doubts that changing her coach is going to be the answer especially with the limited time she has been with him.

It only seems typical to me that her coach as well as Kimmie herself would paint a rosy picture just a couple weeks before the World Championship. We'll see.

Dizzy

Bennett

Record Breaker
"Her strength is the total package,'' Callaghan said. "Her previous training and her age difference has developed a more polished performance. We're working on that right now and showing it off. Her jumps and spins are excellent, but she has developed a personality on the ice that I think will make a big difference.

I honestly have never thought of Kimmie as a total package. But it is truly wonderful for her to have a coach who speaks so highly about her.

flying camel

Medalist
Positive thinking can take you very far. I hope she does well at worlds. Otherwise, I think things will look really gloomy for next year.

I honestly have never thought of Kimmie as a total package. But it is truly wonderful for her to have a coach who speaks so highly about her.
Can you tell me what is a total package? Please, not the name of a skater, but a description of just what a total package would be comprised of.

in my view a total package would be sufficient technical prowess together with a skater's personal performance (something beside what the choreographer gives.)

Joe

skatergirl45

On the Ice
For me the total package is strong jumps, strong spins, strong footwork, good spirals, but on the artistic side the skater should be able to tell a story, use appropraite facial expressions and arm movements............

I hope Kimmie does better and I beleive that she will..........

childfreegirl

Final Flight
For me the total package is strong jumps, strong spins, strong footwork, good spirals, but on the artistic side the skater should be able to tell a story, use appropraite facial expressions and arm movements............

For me the total package is all that plus really selling the program. If a skater has good arm movements and a nice smile with all of the above, fine. If they throw themselves into the program and make me believe it, that's when I sit up and take notice.

Linny

Final Flight
Selling the program

To me, a skater who has to sell the program is not the complete package... because the complete package includes a program that sells itself.
Linny

paralegalmkfan

Rinkside

Pam always talked highly of Kimmie from my recollection. It only seemed like this year, particularly at Nationals that there was something missing in their relationship. However, I always felt that Pam put too much pressure on Kimmie by telling everyone that they were going to push the envelope and up the ante, and it didn't happen.

I wish Kimmie well. Her type of skating doesn't float my boat, but she's always been a good competitor and a good person. Hopefully she can come away from Worlds with a competition she can feel good about. It's been a tough year for her.

R.D.

Record Breaker
first off, thanks for sharing.

Secondly, I must say I'm a bit surprised at this article. It seemed to me that she was staying away from the press and wanted to keep her issues to herself. However, after such a rough few months, she basically HAD to say something.

I said before that maybe winning the Worlds in 2006 was probably the worst thing that could have happened to her as a young competitor. I think she has learned from that- the hard way- and will be on the rebound. However, I do not think that rebound will occur this year- which means I cannot expect much of her at the Worlds. You just don't know how you will react until it's time to take the ice. Of course, this puts additional pressure on the other two team members to deliver. Not a good thing per se.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Can you tell me what is a total package? Please, not the name of a skater, but a description of just what a total package would be comprised of.

in my view a total package would be sufficient technical prowess together with a skater's personal performance (something beside what the choreographer gives.)

Joe

Joe, sorry if this sounds too defensive. But I don't want to be imposed this kind of discussion over and again any longer. I am really tired of it. Why don't you start a new thread specifically devoting to it instead of arguing over the way other ppl use the terms that you seem to believe to be against your own out of the blue. It could be an interesting, insightful discussion. But I am not interested in it and do not want to be imposed an unwanted discussion again. So I don't want to answer.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
nice article, but no breakthroughs. I won't believe a thing until i see her at worlds.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Well, this article surprises me because, as I've said in several threads, I had guessed Kimmie's problems were primarily physical, due to growth/body changes.

Also, I remember how calm and nonplussed she seemed in interview after her nationals short program this year. She talked about having been in the position of having made a mistake/fallen before, and knowing how to handle that for the long program. That comment doesn't really jibe to me with her now saying the issue all along was that she felt a lot of pressure to always be perfect every time she stepped on the ice.

And, unfortunately, she's had many performances the last two years which were far from perfect. It would be so nice if she'd already allowed herself to accept that perfection isn't possible, but I can see where she could have gotten in a downward spiral psychologically as she kept having subpar performances.

But I will always wonder, as with many issues with athletes, how much of the full story we're getting ...

Regardless, I've been a Kimmie fan since before she won Worlds and I would love to see her come back strong. It's been done before, and recently, too, if you think of Arakawa, Ando, and others.

Whatever her issues, I hope she finds what she needs from the Callaghan team. I also respect her for almost always having a positive "game face" on as far as her public statements go -- I'm sure she knows full well what she's up against, but I think it's always important to have an assertive mental attitude.

Much too busy for me. The main thing about the total package for me is simply to put your best elements into a fully rounded program which has been well choreographed and skated like only the skater in question can. It's the personality that makes a total package.

Instead of a story, I would want a mood created by the skater. I graduated from Ogres and Birds many years ago.

Joe

Joe, sorry if this sounds too defensive. But I don't want to be imposed this kind of discussion over and again any longer. I am really tired of it. Why don't you start a new thread specifically devoting to it instead of arguing over the way other ppl use the terms that you seem to believe to be against your own out of the blue. It could be an interesting, insightful discussion. But I am not interested in it and do not want to be imposed an unwanted discussion again. So I don't want to answer.
I definitely apologize, Bennet, but there was no intent to do you harm. I was under the impression that the total package was part of the discussion to which I was seeking a clarification.

I would suggest we cease the discussion of what the total package is and get back on topic about Kimmie and her coach.

Joe

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Joesitz;306237 I would suggest we cease the discussion of what the [U said:
total package[/U] is and get back on topic about Kimmie and her coach.

Joe

Why should we cease the discussion of total package. Callaghan was quoted in the article regarding Kimmie "Her strength is the total package" and Bennett posted about how he never saw Kimmie as the total package and the discussion began. The thread has not gone off topic. Now I am going to go off topic - the total package for me was Michelle Kwan. Presently IMO Joannie, Mao and YuNa are pretty close to the total package this season. Back on topic - Kimmie was the total package when she won Worlds in 2006 and IMO could be again, not this season but she is capable of being the total package.

Last edited:
Why should we cease the discussion of total package. Callaghan was quoted in the article regarding Kimmie "Her strength is the total package" and Bennett posted about how he never saw Kimmie as the total package and the discussion began. The thread has not gone off topic. Now I am going to go off topic - the total package for me was Michelle Kwan. Presently IMO Joannie, Mao and YuNa are pretty close to the total package this season. Back on topic - Kimmie was the total package when she won Worlds in 2006 and IMO could be again, not this season but she is capable of being the total package.
Just trying to please posters who objected to my asking what it is. I have my idea what it is and I am sure others all have their individual ideas of what it is.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Kimmie was the total package when she won Worlds in 2006

Sorry, I disagree. She was jump, jump, skate and not much else. But that was enough to win because the favorites faltered. I think the term "total package" is thrown about without much thought or meaning behind it. I think it is supposed to mean a makeshift perfect skater who can do it all- tough jumps plus good "artistry" (notice I did NOT say presentation).

I would take it to mean a skater that can SELL a program. That undoubtedly means hitting all the jumps (but some skaters can do so even with a small mistake), but depending on the nature of the program it could mean power, delicacy, intensity, lightness...it just depends. I don't ask if a skater has the so-called "total package"- I look to see if she can sell a program. I don't think a theoretical skater exists, but that's just my opinion.

Back to Meissner- I do think she can sell a program- if she picks the right one to suit her personality. So far, IMO she has yet to do that. But, forgetting about jumps for a sec, she's definitely better now than she was then. Far better.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
RD we have a difference of opinion on the meaning of the total package. She won the World Title in 2006, she skated an excellent program. Forget about the circumstance that led her to her win. She out-skated everyone. She did not win by default. If that is not the total package I don't know what is.

R.D.

Record Breaker
RD we have a difference of opinion on the meaning of the total package. She won the World Title in 2006, she skated an excellent program. Forget about the circumstance that led her to her win. She out-skated everyone. She did not win by default. If that is not the total package I don't know what is.

She did turn in a SOHL (Skate Of Her Life)- definitely won't deny that. However, I didn't see her really trying to sell the crowd. It was like she went through the motions, calculating how she was going to hit the next jump. Not much excitement there. Sorry, but that's the way I saw it. Slute, Arakawa and Kwan sold their programs in the previous years. Then again, that's just how I saw it.