View Poll Results: Which Ladies Olympic Silver Performance Is the Most Memorable For You?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2002 - Irina Slutskaya

6 8.70%
  • 1998 - Michelle Kwan

28 40.58%
  • 1994 - Nancy Kerrigan

11 15.94%
  • 1992 - Midori Ito

3 4.35%
  • 1988 - Elizabeth Manley

18 26.09%
  • 1984 - Rosalynn Sumners

1 1.45%
  • Other

2 2.90%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Ladies Olympic Silver Performance

Custom Title

Favorite Ladies Olympic Silver Performance

The Ladies' Olympic Gold performances have all been discussed thoroughly and voted on, but what about those that were awarded Silver? Which is the most memorable to you and why? I've only included the last six Olympics because that is all I have seen. But, feel free to choose other and explain.

Custom Title
    This is a tough one. I already have my answer but it's quite close! Michelle's "Lyra Angelica" from Nagano was superb. No...it wasn't Philadelphia, and I do think she got the medal she deserved that night, but it was such an elegant performance. Everything was wonderful and on any other night (and any other Olympics) it would have been Golden. Darn that little midget from Texas with all that pizzazz and incredible jumping ability! (LOL...just playing, Tara amazed me that night!). That was the finest Olympic Silver performance I can recall.

The one that comes close for me is Elizabeth Manley's surprise Silver in Calgary. WOW! She'd always been touted as a future champion but could never deliver...could never make it all fall into place. She was so stunning in Calgary. Technically, her performance was brilliant (what a triple lutz!), but I loved the happy, bubbly quality she gave it. I enjoy seeing the troubled skater rise above and deliver that dream skate...especially at the Olympics!

Nancy's freeskate in Lillehammer was memorable as well. She, like Manley, finally realized all the potential everyone knew she had. But, it wasn't as surprising as Manley's, and all of her comments at the Medal Ceremony afterward kind of tarnished that performance. But, as purely a skate, it was a wonderful Olympic moment and certainly ranks as a fine Silver Medal performance.

Midori. What can I say? I felt so bad for her after the 1991 Worlds in Munich. So much pressure and stress on such little shoulders! She didn't give up and gave it everything she had...including a beautiful triple axel! I'm glad she finished her career (not thinking of 96 Worlds) with a gutsy performance and an Olympic Silver.

I wasn't that impressed with Irina's or Rosalynn's Olympic performances. Respectable and good, but they didn't interest me as much as the others!

Skating Soprano
    Nancy. She deserved silver, IMO, because her artistry is/was lacking, but just getting out there and skating after being wacked is just amazing!

I would say Michelle's is most memorable for me. I would say Nancy's second.

Always Dream
    I remember Michelle's. I loved it

Custom Title

I'm wondering ...

I have to pick Michelle's 1998.

But ...

BronzeisGold, I'm always wondering were there no National performance in Philadelphia at 1998. Would there be so many judges and fans (even MK fans) say that MK's 98 Olympic's performance is only good for silver at that night?

Tripping on the Podium
    I would say Nancy, because it was so full of joy, and she gave it her all. Without a doubt I would have given her gold, she was just that far ahead of Oksana technically. She had more difficult spins, and in combination, five clean triples, including a 3/3, and more difficult footwork. Oksana's tech ability wasn't even close to Chen's. But at least Nancy showed what a fighter she was

Now, don't get me wrong. Michelle's my girl and always will be. Lyra Angelica has a place in my heart forever. I could write volumes (and I think that I have, on this very board ) on the subject of how she looked in that blue dress, never mind the skating.

But Elizabeth Manley blew the roof off the place!

Mathman

Tripping on the Podium
    Liz Manley definitely. Skating her heart out with nothing to lose, she was great!

Fan for Life
    Definately Liz. I remember her skating around with her cowboy hat. Michelle comes in second to me though. I hate that I saw the difference between two perfect skates that night, one having more sparkle and winning.

Michelle Kwan Fan
    I remember seeing Michelle in 1998 and loving that one.

Custom Title
    Mzheng,

I certainly believe that if she hadn't been so brilliant at the 98 Nationals Michelle would have left the Olympics without MUCH of the criticism she received. Too slow. Too tenative. And compared with her Philadelphia performance, it was in many ways somewhat cautious and restrained. But she set a standard with her Nationals performances that was almost impossible to live up to, even for herself.

Also, I'm glad to see there are many others that think Liz Manley was out of this world in Calgary. I can rewatch that performance a dozen times and I never lose interest. I just recently rediscovered it for about the tenth time and I think its probably what generated this idea.

Hickie!
    Liz Manley. Go Canada!

Custom Title
    I think Michelle's was great! Lyra Angelica is one of my favorite programs.

Nancy

Had I not seen Michelle's amazing Nationals program in '98, I would probably have voted for Lyra. However, since I did see this program, her Olympic performance left me somewhat disappointed... potential unfulfilled. I voted for Nancy--her program and spirit were fantastic! Add to that the amazing courage and determination it must have taken to get to that point after the knee whack... well, it just made for an incredible moment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast