"Who Let The Dogs Out" and Other "Stuck" Tunes | Golden Skate

"Who Let The Dogs Out" and Other "Stuck" Tunes

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Ever get a tune "stuck" in your head and you keep thinking about it? Here is why:

3. Baha Men's "Who Let the Dogs Out?"
2. Chili's restaurant jingle about Baby Back Ribs
1. Other
When University of Cincinnati researchers tried to find out what song gets stuck in our heads the most, the non-answer they came up with was quite revealing: Other. As in, there were way too many titles for a single poll to tally. Almost all of us suffer through this mental torture of having a song stuck on replay in our brains, repeating itself over and over and over until we want to just scream. If this happens to you frequently, we're very sorry to inform you that those University of Cincinnati researchers have determined you have slightly neurotic tendencies. Either that or you just enjoy music and listen to it often. (Personally, we're opting for the second choice.)

Which songs get stuck? Kellaris explained to Reuters that when we get a song stuck in our heads, it's usually the first or last song we heard in a specific situation, such as the song playing on the clock radio alarm or the song on the car radio when we turned off the ignition. "Just about anything can get stuck in people's heads," Kellaris told Reuters. "We each have our personal demonic tunes that get stuck in our heads, I guess."

Stuck songs, which the Germans call "earworm," tend to have these features in common:
--They are relatively simple.
--They are repetitive.
--They contain an element that surprises the listener, such as an interrupted pattern or something that violates expectations of what comes next. --The most common culprits are songs with lyrics.
--They stay stuck in our heads for a few hours on average. What do you do to erase the stuck song from your brain?
Kellaris advises you not to worry about it. (If you take him up on his advice, just don't listen to Bobby McFerrin's "Don't Worry, Be Happy" or you're sure to just trade one stuck song for another.) Other tips include listening to different music or distracting yourself with another activity. You can also try singing the entire song--and not just the snippet that's stuck in your head--even if you can't quite remember all the lyrics. There's even a folklore cure: Chew on cinnamon sticks.

Lcp88

On the Ice
I should try the cinnamon sticks. For some reason, I've had "Sex Bomb" stuck in my head for like a week, and it's getting very annoying.
Laura

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I hate it when a song gets stuck in my head. I sometimes sing a verse or two aloud in hopes I will annoy myself to the point of tuning out my "inner ear"........(usually I just end up annoying those around me....) :sheesh: 42

mike79

On the Ice
I had Dancing With Myself by Billy Idol stuck in my head for about 3 months one time. I finally heard it again and it went away.

Lad--I feel your pain if Who Let the Dogs Out is stuck in your head.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
One time when we were doing an outdoor craft show in Ponca City, OK, they had this little band of flutes, piccolo's, etc. and they only knew 3 or 4 songs and played them over and over for 3 days. They were good but boy that was in our heads for a long
time. Usually, when I get a song in my head it's one I like so don't have a problem with those.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Thanks for the input. I find Xmas time is when I really get tunes stuck in my head; especially if I am working in retail!

skatepixie

On the Ice
~Jewel-Intuition (My rink plays it. I like it. Really. It just gets stuck....)
~garth Brooks-Friends in Low Places
~50 Cent-In Da Club
~Nelly-Hot In here

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
It's a Small World

If you don't want this song stuck in your head ad nauseum, don't ever go to Disneyland! Once you've been on the "Small World" ride, this song will play in your head for weeks--especially if you have kids, because they will WANT to sing it over... and over... and over. RG Jr. likes for us to sing it in a "round". :eek:

It's a world of laughter
A world of tears
It's a world of hopes
And a world of fears
There's so much that we share
That it's time we're aware
It's a small world after all

There is just one moon
And one golden sun
And a smile means
Friendship to ev'ryone
Though the mountains divide
And the oceans are wide

It's a small, small world

:laugh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
right now I have "For the Longest Time" in my head... it's the version that the American Idol finalists used this past year... it's getting really annoying!

lil lion 816

Rinkside
I like to listen to music channels on my satellite system through my audio system just like I'm listening to the radio. I have it on a "70s" channel a lot (I date myself, LOL ;) ) and the other day a song was playing I haven't heard in *years*. It starts out with "Where has your mama gone little baby boy?" The lead vocal is female and there's a mixed male/female vocal in the chorus which goes "ooh weep chug a chug a cheep..." or something close, LOL. It's very catchy, I don't know who does it, and it's about to drive me CRAZY, LOL. It plays in my head over and over, and I haven't heard it again yet. <If I do, I'm going to turn on my TV quick so I can catch the listing they put on the screen, LOL - I wasn't quick enough last time, alas!>