Commemorating 20th Anniversary of the Quad | Golden Skate

Commemorating 20th Anniversary of the Quad

Teenes

On the Ice
Twenty years ago, on March 25, 1988, Kurt Browning made history by landing the first quad ever in competition at Worlds in Budapest, Hungary. The importance and interest in the quad is quite evident from the number of quad-related topics on this board alone =).

To mark the 20th anniversary of the quad, Kurt's fans are organizing a twofold effort to commemorate the occasion.

1) We've created an online card at Mixbook.com for fans to sign and leave messages and photos for Kurt. You can register on mixbook.com and be added as a collaborator on that book, so you can create your own page, choose the layout, the background, upload photos, write your message, etc, or you can email me with your message and have me add it.

2) We're organizing a group donation to the Terry Fox Foundation, a charity dedicated to cancer research, and one of the two major sources of funds for the National Cancer Institute of Canada, Canada's premier research organization. It's a cause Kurt's been involved with in the past - both directly via the Terry Fox Foundation, and with various other charity appearances or donations, such as his appearance at the Frosted Pink show last fall. It's also an issue we know has touched Kurt's life directly with his parents.

For more information on how to participate in either or both efforts, visit my website.

With the quad anniversary only 2 weeks away, I'm setting a deadline of March 23 for all submissions. I realize it's a very short time but I hope people will participate, and help spread the word.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
will definitely be submitting what I can

and will be sending this on to non-message board Kurt fans!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
20 years? That can't be!!! Man do I feel old. I remember first hearing about the quad and never dreaming it would be landed by a kid from Alberta. Way to go Kurt! I would like to email something. Will think of something later.
:agree:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it's hard to think of Kurt aging at all, he seems like he's still that twenty something I only really know through videos....

great guy, amazing skater.... *sigh* Sonia's so lucky ;)

Teenes

On the Ice
Tonichelle and Ladskater, I look forward to your submissions, thanks!

NatachaHatawa - want me to include your "thanks" note in the online card?

skatergirl45 - I assume you mean post on the card? You need to register for Mixbook.com and then either email me ([email protected]) with the email address you subscribed so I can invite you as a collaborator, or go to the book and request to be added. Once I've added you, you can log into mixbook and edit the book. You can add a note to one of the existing layouts, or create your own page, whatever you'd like. I have a tip on adding a note as an image on my Quad Anniversary webpage, linked above, and you can always drop me a note with any questions! If you don't want to register, you can always email me your note and any photos or preferences you have for how your page will look.

And it is hard to believe it's been 20 years - I admit I wasn't following skating when Kurt landed his first quad but it doesn't seem that long since we were celebrating the 10th anniversary and Kurt was landing the quad at SOI!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
wow, i can't belive that the quad is older than i am. It seems like such a newbie somtimes!

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
NatachaHatawa - want me to include your "thanks" note in the online card?

Yes, thank you! As you're proposing, I'd actualy like to send the following message, if you don't mind:

Thanks Kurt for landing the first quad and making figure skating even more thrilling. As a Frenchie I'd also like to thank you for all the amazing work you've done with Brian.

Natacha

Teenes

On the Ice
Our group is active on the Terry Fox Foundation website!

To donate, go here. That's the donation form that's set up to donate to our "Kurt Browning's Quad - 20th Anniversary" group. They accept Visa and Mastercard, and will send a tax receipt to you.

Remember, the deadline for donations is March 23.

And please, send in your messages for the online card (or register on Mixbook and add it yourself). You don't want Kurt to open his card and see like 2 messages, do you? Deadline for that is also March 23.

Thanks for your message, Natacha!

WildRose

Rinkside
Donating to the Terry Fox Foundation is a great idea - count me in, and I'll be signing the card as well.

Bev Smith has a big article in the Globe and Mail today about the 20th Anniversary of the quad:

Chasing the quad
Twenty years after Kurt Browning became the first to land it in competition, the quadruple jump remains the Mount Everest of skating. ...
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...TPStory/Sports

Teenes

On the Ice
Just 3 days left to get your notes and donations in...

If you'd like to sign the card, just email me ([email protected]) or PM me your note and I'll be happy to add it for you.

If you'd like to donate to the Terry Fox Foundation, use this donation form. We've already raised $432, and are hoping to get more for this great cause.

I realize people are pretty focused on Worlds right now, but if you appreciate Kurt's accomplishment 20 years ago with that first quad, and what he's done since, this is a great chance to let him know!

Teenes

On the Ice
Today's the day everything's due, so if you were interested in participating, please do send me your note and/or make your donation today! See above for how.

We're up to $592 in donations, but I know of at least two people who said they donated but I never got notified and the group's total doesn't reflect their donations. I'm going to email technical support about it but if you made a donation, please let me know (PM) so I can check to see if your donation make it into the total!

Thanks all!

Teenes

On the Ice
Have a very last minute idea I don't know if anyone has time to take advantage of. But if you want to sign the card but don't have a message, drop me a PM or email ([email protected]) by 9PM Pacific Time tonight and I'll include your name on a separate
"Happy 20th Anniversary of the Quad!
Sincerely, your fans
- list of names"

note. I can't accept names or notes any later than that since I plan on sending this Kurt's way tomorrow (the quad anniversary) but until then...

Sorry for the 3.5 hours window, but like I said - last-minute idea!