Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Culture on Ice: Buy this Book!

The Figure Skating Bookstore

I just noticed that the Figure Skating Bookstore

http://www.figureskating.net/

is one if the sponsors of Golden Skate. (Did you notice that the new GS board is absolutely free to members, as are the articles and news links at the GS home page. We don't even have to make "contributions" to keep the board free of pop-ups.)

I just went to this site. They list dozens of titles of available books on figure skating, as well as tapes and "other cool stuff." As far as I can tell they don't sell books themselves, but rather supply links directly to the booksellers (sometimes the publishers) who do.

Culture on Ice is not listed yet, but this one is: Women on Ice: Feminist responses to the Tonya Harding-Namce Jerrigan Spectacle, by Ellyn Kestnbaum and other authors.

Mathman

Mathmann-
    I read the book "Women on Ice" and it had to be one of the worst books that I have read on skating.

Rinkside
    I picked up the book this past Friday from Barnes & Noble. I read a couple of chapters Friday evening, especially about masculinity and fandom. This evening, I started reading from cover to cover. I'll post later my opinion of the book.

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    "I read the book "Women on Ice" and it had to be one of the worst books that I have read on skating."

How curious, whatever did you mean?

IMO, skating books are some of the worst books ever written. Well crafted celebrity bios are few and far between, and tech books on skating often shock me with thier glaring errors on even the most basic facts. That's a lot of competition!

"Women On Ice" is a collection of feminist essays, not a skating book. It uses the Nancy/Tonya fiasco as a catalist to mull over feminism in todays society: in the media, in people's opinions, in sports,etc... Over 20 authors contributed, were all 20 worse than other skating authors you've read?

No -not all of the authors were terrible. I shouldn't have said it was one of the "worst" books that I have read, I just meant that some of the essays were long on words and not very interesting to me. Too much babbling to hold my interest. Maybe I find the celebrity bios more interesting then "feminist" subjects. I happen to find peoples lives, and not just skaters lives, more interesting them talking about "feminism" in our society. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Custom Title
    I totally agree, mathman, it's a great book!
    Ellyn, you did an excellent job! Respect and thanks a lot! :D

Rinkside
    Yes, I finally read this book from cover to cover. It was definately an eye opener for me. I enjoyed all the chapters, especially the one on fandom. It cracked me up, especially talking about female fans and male skaters. I could identify with the women. I hope to see a few practices at this year's Skate America. :D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2