Toasted seaweeds and Sushi anyone? | Golden Skate

Toasted seaweeds and Sushi anyone?

rtureck

Final Flight
I love the sushi experience, even though it is relatively expensive compare to McDonalds. There is a huge variety, e.g. CA rolls, Salmon rolls, tuna rolls etc.

The pickled ginger that is served as a side dish in sushi bars is such a treat, so tender that it melts in your mouth.

To me, the most interesting ingredient in sushi is the seaweeds that they use to wrap the sushi.

Some stores sell sheets of toasted seaweeds as snacks.

http://www.drizzle.com/~newroots/seaveg.html

http://www.shopnatural.com/html/11604.htm

Folks, please keep an open mind, don't laugh OK?

Last edited:

mike79

On the Ice
Sushi is a my favorite food. I love raw salmon more than anything. The key to great sushi is loading tons of wasabi onto the fish to make it really spicy.

Another great thing about sushi is that it's really good for a hangover.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
YUK! I can't even eat beef if it's still pink. My husband liked it almost raw. The first time I was pregnant and had to fix his sandwiches with that raw beef I kept having to go upchuck. That's the only times I was sick to my stomach when I was pregnant. At meal times I had to put a cereal box or something in between us so I couldn't look at it. That was anytime. :rolleye:
:\
:eek:

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
LOVE sushi. Pure, unadulterated, tasty food. I agree about raw salmon - tastes better than cooked, IMO.

rtureck

Final Flight
mike79 said:
Sushi is a my favorite food. I love raw salmon more than anything. The key to great sushi is loading tons of wasabi onto the fish to make it really spicy.

I like a reasonable amount of wasabi, too much is too spicy for me. I pour soya sauce over the wasabi, how about you.

Another ingredient of sushi I love is the salmon roe. They coat the outside with the salmon roe, and roll the seaweeds inside.

http://www.foodsubs.com/Caviar.html#salmon

http://www.fujisushi.com/picture/cal.jpg

Trivia question

Name this 5 times world champion who loves sushi :D

Last edited:

Lcp88

On the Ice
I've never really ventured into exotic sushi's, but I LOVE cucumber rolls, smoked salmon, shrimp, and California rolls.

Another trivia question: What 4-time World champion lists yellow tail sushi as his favorite food?

Laura

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Love sushi!

My VERY favorite is "Uni" -- sea urchin. It's not for everyone, but I just love the way a piece of uni feels on the tongue. I usually ask them to give uni as sashimi, not as sushi, as I uni is too tender for rice.

Also love radish & ikura salad (ikura is salmon roe).

In terms of rolls, love Spicy tuna; not too crazy about California or Philadelphia rolls. Love Sashime -- salmon, sea bass.

For hose who do not like raw fish much, I recommend "unagi" -- eel. The way the Japanese make it -- it's heaven! You can get it as sushi, or you can get it as a seperate dish -- they bring it in a laquered box, over rice.

Another Japanese favorite of mine (though not every place has it) is baby octopus. Normaly, I don't like octopus too much, but I LOVE the baby octopus.

And, finally, you just can't forget the sake! Bon appetit! :)

P.S. For the sushi lovers in Boston, there is a wonderful Japanese mall on Porter Square in Cambridge -- there, you can buy everything you need to make sushi, seasweed salad, miso soup, etc. right at home.

Sweetie

Rinkside
I LOVE sushi!

I like the vegetarian stuff but I do try other things! Cucumber/asparagus rolls are my favs. I love miso soup too, there's just something about it that is so good.
And wasabi... very funny to watch the first-timers try to "conquer" it... they don't realize how lethal that stuff is! I love it though!:love:

rtureck

Final Flight
Ptichka said:
Love sushi!

My VERY favorite is "Uni" -- sea urchin. It's not for everyone, but I just love the way a piece of uni feels on the tongue. I usually ask them to give uni as sashimi, not as sushi, as I uni is too tender for rice.

For hose who do not like raw fish much, I recommend "unagi" -- eel. The way the Japanese make it -- it's heaven! You can get it as sushi, or you can get it as a seperate dish -- they bring it in a laquered box, over rice.

Another Japanese favorite of mine (though not every place has it) is baby octopus. Normaly, I don't like octopus too much, but I LOVE the baby octopus.

P.S. For the sushi lovers in Boston, there is a wonderful Japanese mall on Porter Square in Cambridge -- there, you can buy everything you need to make sushi, seasweed salad, miso soup, etc. right at home.

WOW, I have never tried seas urchin, thanks for the tips. I like eel too, the meat is sweet. There is a thick coat of oil/ fat underneath the eel skin, it makes the eel taste smooth and tender.

I have never tried octopus, how is that different from squid?

I will be in Boston sometime in October, I may check out the Japaneses mall. Is it accessible by public transportation from the back bay?

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
What I call a "Japanese Mall" is located in the Porter Exchange Mall, at Porter Square in Cambridge. It is accessible by Red Line (the same line that goes through all of Cambridge's tourist attractions), as well as I believe some busses.

Baby octopus is very different from normal ocrtpus/squid. Squid is not at all tender, whereas baby octopus is very tender and sweet. You really have to try it to understand.

heyang

Record Breaker
I'm starting to like sushi more. Most people either love it right away or acquire a taste for it over time. I like to mix the wasabi into the soy sauce, too.

For people in New Jersey or New York City or Long Island, there's a buffet chain that consists of 80% sushi/sashimi. All of it is very fresh. Here's the website link if you want to check for locations.

Minado Website

JOHIO2

Medalist
I'm with Ptichka. Eel sushi is primo. Raw tuna sushi is tasty, but I've never been brave enough to try squid or octopus in sushi. (Hey, I'm an ethnic Italian. I've had octopus and squid and eel prepared lots of ways. Just eel sushi tho.)

I really like the veggie style more. Bring on the California Rolls!