Skating Ethics | Golden Skate

Skating Ethics

April

Rinkside
What is ethical in skating, a motto? Do you have a philosoph or theory on what makes a champion skater? Basically, what would you do if you were a figure skating coach? How would you select your students and so on?

1."A great skater possess passion, strength, and determination"

2. Skaters without courage soon fail. Skaters without focus fall. A skater without passion burns-out. Skaters without open minds never learn to listen. Skaters without style never gain acclaim. Skaters without solid work ethics lose ground.

3. If I were a coach, I would make sure my skater practice with heart, fun, focus, and style. Technical ability equals focus. Fun equals audience appeal. Heart equals determination. Style equal every little detail.

4. Students looking for fame need not apply. Fame never built a lasting nation or society; it just "improves" living.

aly*cutie

On the Ice
If I were a coach, I would see that they are having fun, and have the determination to succeed, and that they do their very best.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
April:

One would hope that all skating coaches have good ethics. Teaching skating is their job. Of course, not all coaches are lucky enough to coach a Michelle Kwan or a Kurt Browning, but it is their living and they must either find a promising student or coach as much as possible to earn a good living. Sometimes, depending on the number of hours they are teaching, they have to supplement their income with another job.

It's not as easy as one might think. Every coach has a different approach as well to teaching and some kids are just down right "difficult" to teach! And of course then there are the parents to contend with plus the politics of the rink!

So I don't know if there is just one specific motto that coaches embrace, but I do know the coaches that I had all worked very hard and were dedicated to the sport of figure skating.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I would apply all the ethics I relied on as a voice teacher:

1. I would never judge someone's potential immediately--I would give him/her a chance to develop at his/her own pace. Some people I thought had little talent ended up blossoming into some of the best students I ever had. Also, some I thought had enormous potential relied on their natural ability rather than on practicing in order to improve. They fell behind the curve soon enough. Also, most people will not be stars, but that does not mean that they cannot enjoy their art and benefit from the endeavor (discipline, good study habits, etc.).

2. I would never encourage someone falsely--I never, ever told someone they would be a "star"--even if in my heart I thought they had a chance. Instead, I always outlined the pitfalls of pinning one's hopes on being a star and stressed the need for hard work and dedication.

3. I would insist on treating others in the field with respect and courtesy. What goes around comes around.

4. Learning to communicate with an audience is every bit as important as technique. In fact, technique can be learned quicker.

5. Present your art because you love it. That, in fact, is the secret behind true communication.
:love:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:

3. I would insist on treating others in the field with respect and courtesy. What goes around comes around.

This one is my favorite of all. I don't know what a movie set is like, but the theaters in which I have worked have proven true dance critic Joseph Mazo's contention that a theater is the most polite place in the world: "Mothers who despair of teaching their kids to say, 'Please' and 'Thank you' should apprentice them to stagehands. A technician hurrying by, with two heavy spotlights in each fist and a thick hank of cable under his arm does not snarl, 'Move, damnit,' he says, 'Clear please.'"

In an interview, retired ballerina Lourdes Lopez spoke of Balanchine as a teacher, and how he taught his dancers -- corps to star -- to respect the theater and the people with whom they worked. That type of respect and self-control is contageous.

Panther2000

On the Ice
April said:
What is ethical in skating, a motto? Do you have a philosoph or theory on what makes a champion skater? Basically, what would you do if you were a figure skating coach? How would you select your students and so on?

1."A great skater possess passion, strength, and determination"

2. Skaters without courage soon fail. Skaters without focus fall. A skater without passion burns-out. Skaters without open minds never learn to listen. Skaters without style never gain acclaim. Skaters without solid work ethics lose ground.

3. If I were a coach, I would make sure my skater practice with heart, fun, focus, and style. Technical ability equals focus. Fun equals audience appeal. Heart equals determination. Style equal every little detail.

4. Students looking for fame need not apply. Fame never built a lasting nation or society; it just "improves" living.

I agree 100% with you. The above describes the total Package. & A total package has a much better chance at TRUE success. & What I mean by true success. Is not not necessarily a GOLD medal. But, being rememberd as a great skater. But, Usually skaters with the entire package win more often than not.

But, I love your list. 1 through 4 apply.