Professional Skating Competitions | Golden Skate

Professional Skating Competitions

Is the heydey of professional skating competitions gone forever, never to return in a

• YES, it will return in some form.

Votes: 25 54.3%
  • NO, it's a thing of the past, never to return.

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • I sure hope so. I'm tired of seeing all the old timers hanging around in "eligible" competition alr

Votes: 9 19.6%

• Total voters

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I remain hopeful that there is a future for pro skating competition. I'm just not sure how or when it will come about.

Pookie

Final Flight
I think they will return to some degree. I don't think they will get as numerous and ridiculous as they did there for a while unless someone gets whacked in the knee again.

I think it may return but will it last?

If it is shown as a real sport and not just a 'groupie' kind of exhibition. If the 'crap' isn't cut out, then Sunday afternoons belongs to race driving and golf. Those guys are out to win money - not show off their costumes and have the fans giggle.

I believe it could have the potential of being more important than amateur skating.

Joe

Lynn226

On the Ice
I would like to see the World Professional Championships return. And that competition should be strictly for the ineligibles.

I do enjoy the pro-ams because it gives the pros a chance to compete with the jumping beans and the eligible skaters an incentive to work on their presentation skills. I know that it must be quite difficult for the pros to prepare a short program for only 1 or 2 comps, but they shine in the long programs where the number of jumps is usually limited and the emphasis is on presentation skills.

CB1AB2

Medalist
I think that it will come back=more skaters are turning pro so if the networks are smart they will bring it back.

cb

CB1AB2 - Regardless of the number of skaters turning pro, have you heard of any sponsors interested in backing up figure skating. The networks will gladly do it if the sponsors are there. That is the sole reason figure skating has declined on TV. The viewer lost interest and sponsors want viewers to sell their products. Maybe in countries that have government owned networks will it be shown on TV.

Lynne - Have you heard of any Pro-Am competitions being shown on TV in the future?

Joe

Chele615

Rinkside
I really hope that professional skating makes a comeback now! I think now is as good a time as any for professional skating to come back due to all the recently retired skaters who are still such big names in the sport (Jamie and David, Elena and Anton, Shae and Vic, etc).

I personally would love to see more professional competitions just because I think with more competitions, more skaters wouldn't delay turning professional. Plus, it would be nice to be able to see some of the other professional skaters that we might not have been able to see much in the past. One example I can think of is Sarah Abitol and Stephane.

Apparently, it's the sponsored media groups which are holding it back. We all want to see Pro Competitions, but the question is will it sell on Sunday afternoon? and will you buy the product that is being pushed?

Market Research plays a big role on TV. Pro Competitions have been tested. Are they worth it more than NASCAR, Golf, Tennis, Baseball, football?

If a network does not have any of the aforementioned sports programmed for a Sunday afternoon, would a Pro Comp do better than an old movie - moneywise?

Joe

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I too think that they'll return in some form. The Oly gold divas, Peggy, Dorothy, Kristi, Tara, all had skating specials following their wins, as expected, and then went on to skate in Pro competitions (I'm not sure about Peggy). Who would have thought Michelle, without an Olympic Gold, would garner as many skating specials as she has and Sarah, after her SLC win, score zero on the Pro comp circuit..........so who knows.....apparantly anything can happen in "show biz"............42

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I don't know if there were any pro comps back in 68, but Peggy did do some team comps after the 80 Olys.

Sarah did score an NBC special contract, I forget for how many, 3 or 4 I think. She hasn't turned pro yet, performed poorly at the pro-ams she did last year, and has cancelled her first one this year. It doesn't seem to be that skating offers Sarah few oportunies (as she turns down so many that she is offered) but that she's not really all that interested right now.